Olympic gold medalist Shaun White crashes Penn. prom

Olympic Medalist Shaun White Crashes High School Prom
People are getting creative with their prom–posals lately. Pennsylvania senior Carly Monzo's dream date came true after she put together a witty video for her celebrity crush, U.S. Olympian Shaun White.

In March, Monzo made a video for White in an effort to woo him to go to prom with her: "Shaun, Shaun, Shaun, will you be my prom date?"

Monzo quickly gained a lot of support.

Well, Monzo's video was a success, and on Friday, White surprised her onstage at the dance with his band, Bad Things. The school administration was in on the whole thing. (Via ESPN)

But Monzo is one of the few lucky ones. There are plenty of failed celebrity prom requests out there.

Like the one for Kate Upton: "So Kate will you go to prom with me?" (Via YouTube / Talia Myers)

Or Miley Cyrus: "I promise you it will be the best night of your life and if you're not the slow dancing type no worries I go to public school and grinding is allowed." (Via YouTube / Matt Peterson)

Or when one teen got suspended for asking Miss America to prom.

Of course, many celebrities have said yes, too: Jason Derulo, Katy Perry & Dwyane Wade, to name a few. (Via The Huffington Post)

But a writer for Yahoo says the trend of asking celebrities to prom isn't exactly fair: "Putting anyone, famous or not, on the spot in such a public way puts a lot of pressure on someone to say yes, even if they don't want to."

Nonetheless, Monzo got her wish. Plus, it was a big first for the band, too.

They tweeted at Monzo, "Most of us have never been to prom. Thanks @carlymonzo #Shaunsaidyes #promcrashers"
And what about Monzo's date? Well, it looks like he didn't mind being kicked to the curb for the Olympic snowboarder. According to KYW-TV, Monzo said "her original prom date was a good sport about the whole thing, and he was kind of excited to be upstaged by Shaun White."

Congratulations to Monzo, and our condolences to her date. Better luck next time.

JeSsIcA pAiGe** May 04 2014 at 10:18 PM

This is amazing! Whether or not celebs want to be put on the spot, that is what they signed on for. Its great he took the time and showed his love back to the people who support him.

emartinez95 JeSsIcA pAiGe** May 04 2014 at 10:42 PM

True. Besides the fact most celebrities never see any of the prom-posals they get from hopeless teens.

BARBARA emartinez95 May 04 2014 at 11:56 PM

I was one of those that never got to go to prom because i was over weight ( not a huge girl just about 50 lbs overweight) that was in the 70's and nobody wants to be seen with a big girl at a prom so yes i agree if they want to ask a celebrity to a prom then the letter should be read by the celebrity after all we are the ones who make them popular I do not think we are putting them on the spot this is a free country it's either yes or no simple as that if it was me who were the celebrity I would be tickled pink that one of my fans want or even consider of thinking about wanting to take me and if i found out i did not get that letter i was go off on the person who with held it from me needless to say they would not have a job on top of that.To me it is only showing respect to the person they want to take.So this goes out to all celebrities make sure you get all you mail and read it cause it could be one of those letters that could put you further up the latter than you are. God bless U

Flag 0 rate up
BARBARA emartinez95 May 05 2014 at 12:12 AM

besides being a little on the heavy side already puts that person in a position to where they do not like their life and yes you say lose weight hey it easier said than done i have been on a diet all my life and i am 53 years old and i weigh just over 200 lbs which isn't fat it called chunky now a days but still it is even hard to get a date let alone get asked to go to a prom back then i was at about 140 lbs but i carry my weight all over my body which means i and well proportioned but still never got to go even tho I did ask but was always turned down. so depression took over and all the others that followed it as well so needless to say i lead a sad and pathetic life didn't go on my first date till i was 25 but by that time i got pregnant and already had a child whose sperm donor didn't want to have anything to do with her but she is the one and only child i have and WILL NOT take anything from anybody. I tell her everyday I LOVE HER and I am SO PROUD OF HER ......

Flag 0 rate up
jakki051 May 04 2014 at 11:58 PM

I agree with the writer of this article. It is unfair to put famous people on the spot in a public way and puts pressure the person to say yes even if they don't want to. These people must respond in a delicate way to prevent damaging their careers and fan base.

wdutch6382 May 04 2014 at 11:58 PM

when did riding a skateboard in the snow become a sport and then into the olympics??

ChingOW Mango wdutch6382 May 05 2014 at 1:02 AM

What can you do loser?

firehaven ChingOW Mango May 05 2014 at 10:54 AM

I guess he can be obnoxious, don't you think?...he's got that down to an art...oh wait...when did that become an art form? LOL!!!

Flag 0 rate up
jakki051 May 04 2014 at 11:41 PM

I think these kids need to stop asking these famous people to their proms. They should ask one of their classmates.

wdutch6382 jakki051 May 04 2014 at 11:54 PM

absolutely

firehaven jakki051 May 05 2014 at 10:55 AM

I think it's up to them who they ask...why do folks always want to control what others choose to do?

Ben May 05 2014 at 9:08 PM

27 year old at high school prom..sounds kinda creepy to me. thought there was a max age of like 20.

Jennifer May 04 2014 at 11:28 PM

You go girl....back in the day (1988) during my prom we were only allowed to bring a date that was from the same school....needless to say the prom was over by 10:30

pj512 May 04 2014 at 11:23 PM

Not fair? Well, "stars" are people too. All the have to do is say that they have other plans for the night. But it is cool when one responds like Shaun did. The downside to that is (and I learned this from past experiences) that in your fantasy you sweep the "star" off their feet and they fall in love with you. After meeting a couple of my idols when I was young I decided I didn't want to meet any more. It was better to keep my fantasy a fantasy than to get my heart broken because they didn't fall in love with me!

jakki051 pj512 May 04 2014 at 11:46 PM

YEAH RIGHT! These darn kids need to STOP ASKING THEM TO A DAMN PROM!

firehaven jakki051 May 05 2014 at 10:55 AM

Why? Because YOU say so? LOL!! Well ok then...

Flag 0 rate up
arms20inches May 04 2014 at 11:21 PM

if social media was around when I went to prom I would ask 2.. Dont hate on these kids

RFuentes May 04 2014 at 10:55 PM

This isn't cute. It's not cute when our service members do it and it's equally pathetic when teens do it.

mikehelton39 May 04 2014 at 10:29 PM

Asking is for when, you have no date. Not for a so called upgrade. karma comes around for the shallow.