Fashion show sweeps into the West Bank

RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) - The West Bank city of Ramallah is not internationally known for fashion, but organizers hope that its Palestinian Fashion Week will draw more attention to local designers.

The three-day show, which ended Saturday, saw models prowl the catwalk in the only major fashion show in the Palestinian territories. Their outfits included both short dresses and conservative frocks with headscarves.

The collections showed a blend of traditional Palestinian embroidery and modern designs. A creation by Jordanian-Palestinian designer Intisar Abdo mixed Arabic calligraphy on chiffon for a stunning evening dress. Designer Fayzeh Pearl showed off more traditional designs, including beaded wedding dresses and colorful formal attire.

Tamer Halabi, an organizer of the event, said the show in part shows that "we Palestinians exist."

"We are surviving, we have talents, we have designers, and we can compete with world fashion houses," Halabi said.

Berj Tashjian May 05 2014 at 2:13 AM

They deserve a great compliment for such a wonderful show. They have prevailed all the hardships of time and war and come around to show the world that they are also a first class culture and used fashion to promote love and peace. They have used such vibrant colors, beautiful designs and elegant styles to set a unique statement in the world of fashion.

mickjett May 04 2014 at 8:10 PM

The models look healthier than the Western models. They have a feminine look too, but I thought they all must wear burkhas. I must be wrong. Regardless of that, it is a pleasing event and any happiness at all is gratifying in Palestine where there has been so much suffering. Good luck to all.

madlyfem mickjett May 05 2014 at 2:55 AM

Yes, you are wrong. The young people are modern, educated, and expect more out of life.

grymadamadam May 04 2014 at 8:01 PM

Larry, what primitive man you're yourself, I guess born in USA in a wrong city! Gosh, you sound worse than "medieval". Do you know anything about that period in Europe at all or just over heard something which sounds like it! You talk about "culture"... give me a break! You must be 5 years old or less and not too bright....
Adam

airamrka grymadamadam May 04 2014 at 8:35 PM

Gave you a thumbs up but honestly there is no reason to denigrate another individual because of their opinon.

theyardguy07 grymadamadam May 04 2014 at 9:10 PM

Adam, **** YOU...STRONG LETTER TO FOLLOW!

evteckelhse May 04 2014 at 7:50 PM

Lovely! (Nicer than recent U.S. fashions with the deep open "V" down to the waist, revealing boney rib cages and barely covering a bustline that looks like 2 fried eggs hanging on nails)

miner554 May 04 2014 at 7:31 PM

UH YEAH ! Should I ever start a harem I will look these people up.

rbdlrm miner554 May 05 2014 at 3:00 AM

I liked all the fashions! Loved the fabrics, color and prints! So nice to see these women in something other than BLACK! And that model with the mask and feathers? What"s everyones" problem? HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE WOMENS"S HATS AT THE KENTUCKY DERBY??? Get a life!!!!!

doublee3324 May 04 2014 at 7:22 PM

Please don't make these artisan styles political. I'm sick of listening to hatred spewed from extremest from both sides.Palestine does Exists, has existed before the Roman occupation, Jesus was born in Palestine. Israel does Exists. God's chosen people... both Jew & Arab have a common heritage. Please don't just judge this fashion based on nationality or religious bias. The outfits are beautiful and reflect the old & new genre of the Middle East. Peace!

kiick23 doublee3324 May 04 2014 at 7:31 PM

You tell em brother! Jesus was a Palestinian Muslim who went to the mosque not an Israelite Jew who went to the temple. Jerusalem is really Al Quds and I'm finished with my half hour dinner break.
It's back to my room in the mental institution for me till tomorrow when I'm let out for another half hour.

Bev kiick23 May 04 2014 at 8:18 PM

Jesus was not a muslim..

Flag 0 rate up
madlyfem kiick23 May 05 2014 at 3:08 AM

Friend kiick23: The Prophet was not born until hundreds years after Jesus died. How could Jesus be a Muslim; time does not move backward.

The Prophet called the land West of the Jordan River the Land of the Jews. Are you calling the Prophet a liar? Jerusalem is West of the Jordan River. I think it is interesting that while the Muslim cities of Mecca and Medina, both Holy Cities existed, the Prophet chose to go to the most Holy City in Judaism, the second most Holy City in Christianity, and nothing at all to Muslims, to take his leave of this life and go to Allah. He went to the foundation of the Second Temple of the Jews, and went to Heaven from there. At the end of his life, the Prophet chose to be with Jews and the most Holy Place of the Jews. We must have a special place in his heart.

Flag 0 rate up
kiick23 May 04 2014 at 7:20 PM

I thought people in concentration camps all wore striped shirts and shoes with holes in their soles? I guess the radical leftist mantra of Palestine being one big concentration camp is just another whopper of a lie. Yes, there is definitley a consorted effort to demonize Israel
by those with holes in their souls.

esuelewis May 04 2014 at 7:15 PM

i say bravo bravo! Assalam Awaialakum. Hamdulilah to my Palistinian sisters. You embraced me when I lived amongst you. You have taken a huge leap forward! All is well!

Bev esuelewis May 04 2014 at 8:19 PM

Holy heck! Quit spewing this outlash.

ddollw5 May 04 2014 at 6:59 PM

Beautiful fashions, beautiful models. Palestine certainly does exist. Great idea to have the style show.

nabbyr May 04 2014 at 6:52 PM

Gorgeous fabrics, lovely designs (both traditional and modern) and did I (gasp!) see expressions and even smiles on the faces of the very lovely models (now let's admit it, New York fashion week adores expressionless, often not-too-attractive, weirdly made-up and coiffed models)??