V. Stiviano speaks about Sterling, recording

Sterling: 'I Wish I Had Just Paid Her Off'

V. Stiviano says Donald Sterling's racist comments on an audio recording leaked to the public were not the first by the Los Angeles Clippers owner in conversations with her.

"There's been a number of occasions where Mr. Sterling and I had conversations just like this one. This was one of very many," Stiviano told Barbara Walters on ABC's "20/20" in an interview that aired Friday night. "Part of what the world heard was only 15 minutes. There's a number of other hours that the world doesn't know."

Sterling told Stiviano in the recording that she should not post online photos of herself with black people, including basketball great Magic Johnson, or bring black people to Clippers' games.

The recording, which an attorney for Stiviano said was leaked by a third party, led to public outcry across the country and the NBA. Some sponsors dropped the Clippers and others re-evaluated their relationship with the NBA.

On Tuesday, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver banned Sterling for life, fined him $2.5 million and urged league owners to force him to sell the team. A three-quarters vote by the NBA owners is required to force him to sell.

Though Stiviano told Walters that Sterling should "absolutely" apologize, she said she still loves him like a father figure and does not believe he is a racist.

"I think Mr. Sterling is from a different generation than I am," she said. "I think he was brought up to believe these things ... segregation, whites and blacks. But through his actions he's shown that he's not a racist. He's shown to be a very generous and kind man."

Stiviano said that since the ban, Sterling has felt confused, alone and not supported by those around him.

"I think he's highly more traumatized and hurt by the things that he said himself," she said. "I think he can't even believe or understand sometimes the thing he says, and I think he's hurt by it. He's hurting right now."

A real-estate mogul, Sterling has been accused of racial missteps before.

The billionaire had paid a $2.76 million settlement to resolve a federal lawsuit accusing him of systematically excluding blacks and Hispanics from his rental properties. He also won a wrongful termination lawsuit by general manager Elgin Baylor, who accused him of various slurs and slights.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

hduque8843 May 03 2014 at 5:57 PM

I believe Sterling is entiled to his opinions, other wise known as FREE SPEECH. He owns the team, therefore, all those players are his employees; if the don't like his opinions, the door is fully open, if you know what I mean!!

rich99j May 03 2014 at 6:43 PM

Nice gal. Hope she gets hers.

tlmtlm May 03 2014 at 6:43 PM

She has had her 15 minutes, can't we move on now?

toniredfox May 03 2014 at 6:46 PM

women like her use their a$$ to get what they want from old fools like this man in his 80's that lives in the racist past he grew up in LOL, and when she is done with him she plays the miss innocent......she makes me sick........ohhhh she looks at him as a father figure??? LMAO who are you trying to convince???? really...they had hours and hours of this kind of conversations but she did not mind even though she was half black, because the money he was paying her for her services was really good right??? I wonder who is going to pay her living now, another fool???, she is not even pretty to compete with many pretty a$$es that are kept by men like this old fool. Back to the truck stop girl huh???? I wonder who paid you good to release that taped phone conversation......he should sue you for taping him without permission......I hope you get sued and end up the way you were when he found you, I bet with just your Gstring on your a$$. Don't forget, he is more powerful than your skinny a$$.

GRANCON2 toniredfox May 03 2014 at 7:15 PM

She's a ***** out for one thing $ and the old fart doesn't care who she screws cos he can't get it up

fjtt1 May 03 2014 at 6:47 PM

When will any major network quit playing the tired old sympphony entitled Oh-so-horrible-racist-innuendoes-aimed-at-poor-mistreated-black people? When even a rich Jew is barbecued over his private conversation with a gold-digging slut it's time to call a screeching halt to the assault on free speech.

T.C. fjtt1 May 03 2014 at 9:02 PM

Oh, when will you racist white people stop playing the we're so righteous and we're so great and we deserve everything and we're going to say whatever we want and do as we please and make sure anyone who is different from us suffers by slowly but surely taking everything from them and trying to kill them off. Yeah, when is that going to end? And how has his freedom of speech been assaulted? Did someone prevent him from saying what he did? No. Was he held against his will when he spoke? No. Did someone force him to say what he did? No. Did someone threaten his life? No. So, actually, his freedom of speech was upheld and done and now he has the right to be punished for his words. People have the right to speak freely against him. Freedom of speech works both ways!

extaz4u2 May 03 2014 at 6:48 PM

get rid of him

aristars May 03 2014 at 6:49 PM

I read many posts about this subject, almost all speak my mind, only the media, Obama, nba, black leaders the racist ,...etc. have been after Sterling who made many black millionaires 9ver more than 30 years, they got his money even without winning a championship! this is getting so insane! coward sponsors did it again, just as they treated Paula Dean! the racist have taken over!

hurneyb May 03 2014 at 6:49 PM

Hwynthis guy is not aracist and if he who cares? Some people are and some aren't. We have the freedom to liek who we wnat and ot like who we want. He sure has balck baseketball players on his team. They make a lot of money off of him. And as for this girlfriend. Waht the hell is she anyway? urasian, caucasian, hispanic, chinese, martian,wierd freaking looking creapy woman who can't speak english very well. Peopel grow up and everyone stop trying to be politically correct. I can tell you, I don't wnat my girlfrined bring home black people or my son or my friends. Am I a racist? No I just prefer white people. As balcks prefer black people

Lorrie Sardinia May 03 2014 at 6:50 PM

She makes me sick!!! She has created this, for what? Oh, I forgot, MONEY! She, is the evil witch, with that mask of makeup plastered all over her face. That was a private conversation, but you can tell, she is making stuff up. Maybe they're both retarded.

jebby1 May 03 2014 at 6:50 PM

This Sterling thing is a perfect example of why people hesitant to invest in Black people. Everything you do or say can suddenly become a race thing.