Isaiah Washington Returns To 'Grey's' For First Time Since 2007 Firing

Isaiah Washington Returns To 'Grey's' For First Time Since 2007 Firing

On "Grey's Anatomy," one character made an unexpected return.

DR. BURKE: "Don't you run the risk of your cells undergoing apoptosis when seeded on the hydragel?"
CRISTINA: "I was very surprised."

That's right, Dr. Preston Burke is back.

Sandra Oh tweeted the big news to fans -- many who responded with... Nooooo!

You might remember back in 2007, ABC decided not to renew Isaiah Washington's contract after an on-set incident with fellow cast members Patrick Dempsey and T.R. Knight. Apparently, he had made a homophobic slur, but later apologized.

But some fans were glad to see him back -- it finally provided some closure to his storyline -- and Cristina's. Burke offered Cristina an amazing opportunity to replace him at his hospital. We can only guess she'll take the job since she is leaving the show.

Oh spoke exclusively with The Hollywood Reporter, saying...
"Creatively, I really feel like I gave it my all, and I feel ready to let her go,"

Sandra Oh's last episode will be the season finale of 'Grey's Anatomy,' which airs May 15th.

Carolyn May 02 2014 at 6:06 PM

We all say things in this world that we, sometimes, regret and then apologize afterwards. Why not him - ?? I have missed him and am really glad back that he's back.

Sooooooooo, let's move on and let bygones be bygones, huh - ??

What does punishing him on & on & on get anyone anywhere anyway ~

Margie May 02 2014 at 3:06 PM

I was thrilled to see that Dr burke is back, now i will start to watch the show again.

MESHA Margie May 02 2014 at 5:27 PM

It was only for that one show (or so I heard)

eeverettm May 02 2014 at 3:02 PM

Why do comedians like to make fun of how conservative people look, but when it comes to certain people like cross-eyed Sandra Oh or Michelle Obama, they are scared?

oceanview136 eeverettm May 02 2014 at 3:37 PM

Unfortunately the liberal "Media" would not allow something to be said about those 2 people. They would be accused of "being Racist", even though it was not true.

Bill Jochimsen May 02 2014 at 2:58 PM

OK, now I get it! It's appropriate to be homophobic, just don't be a racist.

pouncye May 02 2014 at 1:12 PM

I love Grey's and Cristina and was thrilled to see Burke back. Yay!! very, very sad to see Cristina go!! wish she would stay! phelonda3

JIM BILL LEWELLY May 02 2014 at 1:03 PM

HOW ABOUT THAT. MR STERLING GETS LIFE TIME BAN, 2 AND 1/2 MILLION DOLLAR FINE FOR RACAL SLUR AND ISAIAH WASHINGTON GET A MULTI DOLLAR CONTRACT AFTER MAKING A HOMOPHOBIC SLUR.

Liebchken JIM BILL LEWELLY May 02 2014 at 1:34 PM

Thank you Jesus, pass the biscuits.... hpocrites, double standard, glass houses, we can - you can't. Seen "any", any at all Black comedy in the last few days, months, years? Hatred for the cracker but Sterling is vilified.

bobby.mccall1 JIM BILL LEWELLY May 02 2014 at 3:34 PM

How can you compare the two? You really are reaching with ignorance. You are comparing a billionaire NBA owner who has a ton of properties and refused to let minorities rent and a minority actor? Yeah it's not always about gays there are other people that exist that have it far worse.

Jacqueline May 02 2014 at 12:40 PM

Washington was always great on the show and I was for one upset to see his character go. This doesn't mean that I think Washington's offensive remarks were proper. He is an actor. I watch the show and liked his acting and character. Washington added greatly to the show and his character was missed by me. I am happy he was back briefly and it added closure.

chuckhalper May 02 2014 at 12:09 PM

How about a lifetime ban and a $2.5 million fine for the homophobic slur?

Bill May 02 2014 at 12:07 PM

He got what he deserved, about time people besides whites get what is coming to them. Sorry to see Susan go, happy he is not back for good.

Rich May 02 2014 at 11:43 AM

I lost my interest in Gray's when Chistina (Oh) had her abortion simply because "it will interfere with my career" and "I'll be a terrible mother." If never seemed to bother her, only that she couldn't get her husband (who wanted to be a father) to willingly go along with it. Of course, statistically speaking, about 85% of abortions are done just for that reason.