Honda recalling nearly 25,000 Odyssey minivans

TORRANCE, Calif. (AP) -- Honda is recalling 24,889 Odyssey minivans from the 2014 model year because their side air bags may not deploy during a crash.

Honda says a shorting terminal, which prevents deployment of the air bag before it's put into the vehicle, may have been damaged during the assembly process. That may illuminate the air bag warning light and prevent the side curtain air bags from deploying.

Honda says no crashes or injuries have been reported related to the issue, which was discovered through warranty repairs.

Dealers will repair the minivans for free. Honda will notify owners starting May 16.

topgundad May 02 2014 at 12:05 PM

GM is full of rats that took the bail out money, then filed bankruptcy screwing all of their stock holders, suppliers and many employees. Now paying big bonuses to the rats at the top. GM will never sell a car or truck to anyone that is in my family or sphere of influence.

richard topgundad May 02 2014 at 8:44 PM

Get a job, loser.

LazerMa May 02 2014 at 9:38 AM

This has been a perennial problem for Honda since the 2000 Accord came out. By this time, you would think they have learned their lesson and have a fix; apparently not.

Matt May 02 2014 at 3:00 PM

We have owned three Honda's including two Odyssey's and have been happy with them. Honda makes safe and dependable transportation. Not going to say they are flawless, but certainly glad we went with Odyssey instead of Chevy Venture or Dodge Caravan back in '05. Ran the Odyssey to 230,000 before trading it. It went to shop twice, once for warranty and once for sliding door bushing. Did want to note though that I owned a Olds Cutless from '97 that was "flawless" in my opinion, never had any issue that required me to go to shop. That was while living on Long Island in NY. That is a tough area, brutally cold and very hot during summer, lots of stop and go.

boller123 May 02 2014 at 1:40 PM

I've had a Honda Odyssey for some time now, and despite being called the "best" minivan going, I hate it. It's the most annoying, "user-unfriendly" car I've ever owned. Everything is electronic, nothing is strait forward about it in terms of operating things(eg: AC/Heat defaults to 86 degrees and must be reset every time you start it), and even to the point of being dangerous. Under certain conditions, you can't open the doors from inside without the keyfob. God help you if the car is on fire and you have to bailout fast. I'll take a Ford anyday over it.

jeffers boller123 May 02 2014 at 2:27 PM

That's too bad cause my Odyssey is wonderful. Its a 05 and I think of it as a gift from God. The best auto I ever owned.

lachips boller123 May 03 2014 at 12:13 AM

That's to bad - maybe you should have purchased a 50's VW with stick shift with no electronics. Our 03 Honda Odyssey is GREAT - it's going on 250,000 miles and is good as new. You just have to take care of your vehicle and it will be good to you

drweaks1 May 02 2014 at 12:48 PM

CHECK TOYOTAS RECALL RECORD THEN LETS TALK!!

Truwriter May 02 2014 at 11:27 AM

Part of the Honda and Toyota sales pitch is to create this image that they are vastly superior to US made vehicles. At one trime, Detroit in the throes of union corruption and government affirmative action employment rules could not produce a car that got 100K without huge maintenace. Those days have been over for 20 yrs, US made cars (now being made very much in the open shop south) are quality vehicles. All vehicles will have recalls, its just that the imports used to pretend it was not them when in fact some of the most heinous recalls and stall tactices have come from Japanese/Korean cars. GM for sure is hideous but so are the others. Toyato has been too. The major imports are not imported at all but are built in the US, not cuz they love us, but because shipping cars is cost prohibitives and states beset with unemployment given them such sweet deals to build plants here. The profit still goes back across the seas though. They don't do unions.

knarfdr Truwriter May 02 2014 at 11:57 AM

No unions? Great reason to buy a foreign car. They also have the best record for maintenance long term. US cars are an embarrassing second. Check Consumer Reports.

Alpaca May 02 2014 at 11:19 AM

You don't really mean that GM is not the only car recalling company.

grisw5 May 02 2014 at 11:06 AM

they have now gone to a CVT transmission on some models

Rusty grisw5 May 02 2014 at 2:47 PM

Love my 2009 Honda CRV;. lots of others must feel the same way 'cause I keep seeing them mulytiple times in my home town and other places.

LindyK May 02 2014 at 10:45 AM

I guess the Japanese cars are NOT the best

mfs171 May 02 2014 at 9:41 AM

Now if they would only fix their transmissions..

Millionaires mfs171 May 02 2014 at 10:39 AM

LOL! Agreed, 100%! We owned a 2004 Odyssey that needed three (yes, 3) transmissions. Honda balked at replacing the second one on their dime until we wore them down. Their executives don't seem to have a clue as to the importance of maintaining good customer relations with their faithful, even if it will cost them some of their considerable profit. If auto manufacturers would try harder to get problems corrected early on, they would save themselves (and their customers) a lot of headaches.

Bruce Kenneth Hoffma Millionaires May 02 2014 at 1:13 PM

had a 2007 civic that had a front brake problem that they could not seem 2 fix. my mechanic/friend told me it was a 'bubble' in the brake line. when i went honda, they said they would not bleed them because that would be an 'admittance'. it was my daughters car, & she had an accident & they did not want 2 find out that their brakes were the cause. so we bled the brakes & guess what, we found 2 bubbles in the line. that problem cost me 3 sets of brakes & some labor. i learned my lesson, don't buy JAP crap. . . i would NOT drive a honda again even if u gave me 1 , free , & paid 4 gas & insurance . . .

Flag 0 rate up