Woman lives in tiny 84-square-foot home

The Latest Fad: Tiny Houses

Tiny dogs, cake pops, mini laptops ... when it comes to being trendy these days, it's time to downsize. Well, according to CBS, add teensy, weensy houses to that list. Yes, houses.

Home Sweet Home for Dee Williams is all of 84-square-feet.

Williams used to pay a $1,400 monthly mortgage and worked hard as a Hazmat inspector. Then, she collapsed - and at just 41 years old, she was told she would need a heart transplant in one to five years "The thing that was most missing ... was a sense of being relaxed in my life,' she said.

Williams doesn't delve much into her medical condition, but it did make her realize life is short.

Williams said that was a "kick in the pants." One day, while at the doctor's office, she read an article about tiny houses. She was intrigued, and figured the tiny house would simplify her life.

She soon built her own with found materials. Now she pays about $8/month in utilities.

These tiny houses start at about $25,000, and are 1/5 the size of a mobile home. Check out this one highlighted by KUSA owned by a couple that uses mostly solar power.

The trend also caught the attention of a couple that built a one-of-a-kind tiny house hotel in Portland, Oregon!

As for Williams, she has since written a book about her big-to-tiny lifestyle switch. Nowadays, she can fit everything she owns on a piece of paper!

Perhaps one pitfall - we're not sure how practical the homes are for entertaining guests, but hey, they look cute, and, well ... tiny!

bobbie May 05 2014 at 10:29 AM

i heard this artical months ago

hotrodchevies bobbie May 05 2014 at 10:43 AM

good for you bobb

jim willeford bobbie May 05 2014 at 10:52 AM

Check out various options and sizes at tiny homes.com. A manufacturer in Sebastopol, CA.

Fabulous!

Joy May 05 2014 at 2:23 PM

i love it!!! would i ever think of living in one, yes if single.

raptureready1958 May 05 2014 at 2:26 PM

Those places are great.

dredselw May 05 2014 at 11:19 AM

Why doesn't someone develop a gated community with 1000 to 1400 square foot single story homes for boomers who are empty nesters or those that just don't care for the McMansions that fall down in 15 or so years? Most of the new houses have no personality and the neighborhoods look alike. Everyone doesn't need or want 2500 sq. ft. and up homes.

jai.hye dredselw May 05 2014 at 11:25 AM

That would be a dream come true as long as they are affordable. Owners of these communities are so greedy it will likely be challenging for those on fixed incomes to live in such, as much as they would like to. Many of us would love to live in quieter, cleaner, less congested communities.

gramargo dredselw May 05 2014 at 4:31 PM

When we traveled with our small trailer, we once went to a "campground" in Florida which had an entire section of permanently sited "little houses", actually very small mobile homes, owned by people who used them as vacation homes. Many of the people there were from Canada, and the swimming pool with full of folks speaking French.

Sheryll May 05 2014 at 2:28 PM

I think about downaizing all the time, but this is ridiculous. My closet in my master bedroom is bigger than this.

ramonbatt Sheryll May 05 2014 at 3:10 PM

I down size from 6k sf home to my 5th wheel. I would never go back to a home or apartment. I have everything. My coworkers laugh at me. But when they come to visit. I am the one laughing. I only pay $290 a month and walk or take public transportation to my work. I also pay myself $1,000 a month for my efforts of working! Freedom is a cool thing!

margotsis May 05 2014 at 2:35 PM

not quite as bad as a jail cell, but close.

hmann131 May 05 2014 at 11:14 AM

Remind me to steer clear of those HazMat crews.

hotspringspark May 05 2014 at 11:07 AM

Yes, this is a cutesey cutesey idea but isn't practical. A simple 16 foot travel trailer would be cheaper and be equipped with all the amenities of home. Plus, you can easly move it.

kholty45 May 05 2014 at 2:43 PM

I have a 4 horse trailer with a "weekender" package in the front . . . toilet, shower, kitchenette with sink, microwave, fridge, 2 burner stovetop, heat,a/c, fresh and gray water tanks and queen bed in the gooseneck overhang. It even has a satellite dish. I could live in it fairly comfortably.

ramonbatt kholty45 May 05 2014 at 3:03 PM

For 28 years a was a slave to a huge home with a 6 car garage on 21/2 acres of lawn care. I was paying over $400 dollars a month on gas driving to work. Now I live in a 5th wheel walk or take public transportation to my work. I do have a car however I can go 6 months with a tank of gas. I love everything about my new home. I even have central vacuum system. Yes" house market kill my investment.

Leslie May 05 2014 at 11:26 AM

sounds good for me if I can get some information