WHO says antibiotic resistant 'superbugs' now global threat

WHO Says Antibiotic Resistant 'Superbugs' Now Global Threat

The World Health Organization released a report Wednesday about the effectiveness of modern medicines and it's generating some scary headlines, like these from Al Jazeera, NBC, the BBC and Time.

"The world may be heading to a post antibiotic era. Modern medicines can no longer stand up to common infections like pneumonia, E. coli and MRSA."

"Why? Well, it's the overuse of antibiotics and it has made us dangerously prone to all kinds of infections."

The WHO says antibiotic resistance has now become a world-wide threat - which means even the smallest infections could be untreatable in the future unless "significant" measures are taken.

The report points to disease-carriers like parasites, viruses and bacteria that are becoming immune to our drugs. Most notably: bacteria which causes urinary tract infections, pneumonia, bloodstream infections and gonorrhea.

In particular, in 2012, WHO reported 450,000 cases of tuberculosis in 92 countries where multiple drugs used to treat it were rendered useless.

And, gonorrhea may eventually have no treatment at all because no vaccines or new drugs are in the works.

WHO Assistant Director-General Dr. Keiji Fukuda, seen in this UN video, said they're collaborating with several organizations to promote proper use of antibiotics, which, as we mentioned earlier, is a big part of the problem.

"Unless we take significant actions to improve efforts to prevent infections ... the world will lose more and more of these global public health goods and the implications will be devastating."

Health experts have known of a potential global pandemic for awhile – the spread of these so-called "Super Bugs."

Last year, Britain's Chief Medical Officer Dr. Sally Davies - who's widely-cited and even gave a TED Talk about it - described the problem to outlets like The Telegraph as a "ticking time bomb" and that it's arguably "as important as climate change."

"This is an increasing issue. We're seeing multiple drugs' resistance as well, particular in TB, where patients become almost untreatable."

WHO emphasized proper hygiene, clean water use and using only the antibiotics prescribed by certified health professionals as small steps you can take to prevent infections and resistance.

wizardsking May 01 2014 at 6:10 PM

Garlic has been known to kill almost anything growing in a petre dish. Eat as much Garlic as you can as often as you can, preferrably Raw Garlic. It can almost be hotter than a Jalapeno at times, but you will help prevent as well as cure many things with it.

Lakeview May 01 2014 at 12:52 PM

Interesting because I had read that Dr. Max Gerson had cured the most horrible cases of tuberculosis in the early 1900's without antibiotics. His daughter Charlotte is still alive and was cured of tuberculosis when she was a child. She is in her 90's and fully functional. Maybe there is something to his methods of treatment we should look into.

drmike15 May 01 2014 at 1:47 PM

And on the Pandemic Titanic you can be assured the vaccine lifeboats *will* be seated according to class.

Raven's Nest May 01 2014 at 12:27 PM

Because of decades of over and unnecessary use of anti-biotics! What did those doctors think would happen? Mother Nature is coming...and is She, PISSED!

hellyon3too Raven's Nest May 01 2014 at 1:18 PM

It's not just because of overuse of antibiotics, but that's a big part of the problem.

In the defense of doctors, when antibiotics were first developed I don't think doctors even knew there was a difference between viral and bacterial infections. All they knew was now they had a weapon in the treatment of infections that was saving lives, so they used it. You really can't blame them.

krattjd May 01 2014 at 12:22 PM

What I see is stupidtly a little dirt never hurt anyone , this B S about sanatizing everything we touch is so far fetched. Got a cold let it play out and cleanse U NO DR, U have to give me something, DA

Gina May 01 2014 at 11:29 AM

I was born with heart defects so I was pre medicated before any medical or dental procedure my entire life. I got pneumonia when I was 35 and that went on for an ENTIRE year. The antibiotics weren't working and they tried stronger ones, cat scans, dozens of X rays (66 to be exact) and many hospital stays. I ended up with pancreatitis and was on an iv antibiotic drip. They said if this doesn't work then there's nothing else they can do for me. I don't drink, don't smoke and did what they told me to do but they said I was antibiotic resistant. I went to the health food store and bought a few things I read were supposed to be good for lung health and it finally cleared up. I still have lung issues from all that but I get pneumonia and DTAP shots every 5 years. I've been afraid to go to a dentist for a little while now because I always have to be pre medicated and I don't want to over use them even though the Dr's prescribe them like it's nothing.

D'Anna Fortunato May 01 2014 at 11:05 AM

All these comments are spot on
---. Buy Organic food with no Pesticides or Antibiotics,
-- Use natural cures-- yes Collaidol Silver does work .
--- Question your doctor on all their recommendations.( If you only have a virus then antibiotics will NOT work -- decline ! Many docs are in bed with the Big Pharma and need to have us all push back and educate them and ourselves !!We need to inform ourselves !!

perorbailey D'Anna Fortunato May 01 2014 at 11:26 AM

Lord it was over a dozen years ago, one said to an attorney, "I thought lawyers were like doctors. They're to help their client in anyway they can." Remember he smiled, "You believe doctors are in business to help patients?"

Much stress, down with shingles, Indian doc prescribed Neurontin. Found illegally marketed for shingles. Reduced dosage slowly, but became paralyzed. Blood pressure up to 193!! Another Indian doctor prescribed Lisinopril, came down with fibromyalgia, Took a year out of my life! Check everything out on the internet! Fortunato is so correct.

hellyon3too perorbailey May 01 2014 at 1:42 PM

Beware of checking everything out on the internet, because at least half of it is wrong.

You were not "illegally" prescribed Neurontin. Your doctor prescribed it "off label." That is NOT illegal. Considering how Neurontin works, I doubt it had anything to do with your blood pressure or paralysis. Lisinopril also probably had nothing to do with developing fibromyalgia, which is an auto-immune response, usually to a viral infection. Shingles, maybe?

Flag 0 rate up
normankcook01 May 01 2014 at 11:01 AM

IS THERE ONE RPH AMONG YOU EXPERTS?

hey dick head May 01 2014 at 10:55 AM

thank Monsanto for this. Don't know why anybody hasn't declared war on this company yet... oh yeah that's right.. they run the world

gobucsmom May 01 2014 at 10:38 AM

In the US, you have to have a doctor's prescription to obtain antibiotics, but in many other countries, you can buy them over the counter. They should only be available with a doctor's rx.

onemadashell gobucsmom May 01 2014 at 11:52 AM

why? who are you to tell me what i can and cannot do.

hellyon3too onemadashell May 01 2014 at 1:45 PM

Someone who doesn't want you to kill yourself or your family members by using the wrong drug, at the wrong dosage, maybe?

You do realize that antibiotics can have serious, sometimes fatal side effects, don't you? Or that they don't work for everything?

Flag 0 rate up