Study finds men prefer less makeup

Men Prefer When Women Wear Less Makeup, Study Says

For all you ladies hittin' the town this weekend -- listen up! A study in the UK found that women's perception of beauty could differ from men's - and mayyybe we've been overdoing it in the makeup department.

Researchers gave 44 women an assortment of makeup, and told them to apply it as if they were about to go out.

The women were asked to pose for before and after shots.

Then, researchers showed the women in a series of 21 photos, all with different amounts of makeup on.

They showed them to 44 Bangor University students, and the subjects were asked to pick three photos: The one they personally thought was most attractive, the one they thought most women would view as most attractive, and the one they thought most men would see as most attractive.

"Both sexes thought that men would go for the more made-up faces."

But, that wasn't the case! It turns out the female participants thought the models looked better with more makeup than the male participants preferred. And get this: None of the observers chose the photo with the model wearing her completed face of makeup!

So, the overall conclusion from this study?

"These results suggest that women are likely wearing cosmetics to appeal to the mistaken preferences of others."

But ladies, before you toss your makeup to the curb, there are some interesting points to be made.

Glamour notes that the women applied the makeup themselves, and some might not have been experienced.

The Atlantic brings up another important point. "The judging took place in Bangor, a tiny hamlet in Wales, where beauty standards are probably different than they are in Beijing or Berlin or Baton Rouge."

This study was published in The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology.

ndqnsny May 02 2014 at 1:04 PM

No wait men prefer women who alter their appreance lie and are fakes and wear makeup to conceal their flaws and natural attributes. I think any guy could have told you they prefer a natural woman that they know who they are as oppose to waking up to someone they thought they knew. Women say men lie and men say because women wear makeup. So whose the liar? I like women but I have said it before one you really analyze and put things in perspective out of both genders the natural one for the most part are men therefore out of both sexes who is the most unattractive all natural without having their beauty aides on? Yes men! With men what you see pretty much what you get women not so. Women don't like to find out that a man has had chest implants or buttock implants or bicep inplants or penis implants I woild say 99% of the women I talked to say it's a major turn off. Yet, men are suppose to accept women who do all this? So who's the ral liar men or women?

jmtpoodle May 02 2014 at 3:19 PM

Stupid video. Why not show the faces, instead of a picture of a camera, pieces of paper, and too much of the comentator? Still don't know what the made-up faces looked like.

jocardan1434 May 02 2014 at 3:20 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what goes on in the minds of the younger generation regarding their appearance. Through out history women have done things to themselves to enhance their looks & pierced ears were part of the package. ONE set of pierced earrings, not a ears that looked like a holding pad for ALL of their earrings! Make up in moderation was always an enhancer, however, women didn't have to look like Liz Taylor in Cleopatra. Figure enhancing dresses that left something to the imagination rather than wannabe dresses that make them look like they should be standing on a street corner, swinging a little bag and snapping gum. Then we get to the tattoos. Tattoos are forever, folks, and they last longer than most marriages. I've seen National Geographic photos of inhabitants of the Congo and the Maori of New Zealand who had less tattooing on them than a good many of the bozos who walk down the streets today. Then there's multiple body piercings. Idiotic describes it best

Victoria May 02 2014 at 3:22 PM

I believe most men like women without too much makeup. But, I will still wear alot only when I go to clubs....because being it is dark in there.

integrityalarms Victoria May 02 2014 at 4:09 PM

as a guy I do prefer less makeup, some is nice when done properly, but you say you were a lot when going out because its dark in there, while if it is dark wouldn't you need even less ? lol

ndqnsny Victoria May 02 2014 at 6:27 PM

It should be the opposite being that it's dark you should wear less most people there won't be able to see your real flaws. Again perfect example how she claims not to do it for men but obviously seeks attention. why don't you go to the club without any makeup? Real reason because she probably won't make it past the ropes.

green gate farm May 02 2014 at 3:33 PM

Why are these articles mostly about how men feel about women? I like men who know how to clean up and dress up once in awhile, but they are far and few between. T shirts, baggy pants, flip flops, day old beards and sloppy hair all the time turn me off. I once attended a formal wedding and some of the guys showed up in sneakers, jeans and polo shirts. And THEY thought is was rude that the bride and groom didn't want them in their wedding photos.

ChingOW Mango May 02 2014 at 3:36 PM

I think it had more to do with the fact that the MEN chosen to decide were Bangor University students. If makeup is applied properly - accenting the best features and making the eyes and lips more attractive - men will like this as much as women. I am not talking about a black line for an eyebrow or bright red misshapen lips or eyes that look like the living dead from eyeliner. Most of the celebs these male students go crazy for have something on - and they aren't even aware of it. Natural beauty is the best but there is a time and place to wear make up.

Freedom Writer May 02 2014 at 4:07 PM

All my life I've heard that men hate makeup. So, why is it that when I don't wear it they ignore me? And why is it that when I do, they tell me I'm beautiful and throw themselves at me? When I wear makeup, even women tell me I'm beautiful. (And, believe me, I'm not remotely that good looking.) What's more, I wear plenty of it. My conclusion: Men don't really know what they want.

ndqnsny Freedom Writer May 02 2014 at 6:34 PM

No the reason they tell you you are beautiful because you come across like a fine engineered automobile but behind all that makeup you are just a Lemon they have not seen because of your disguise. But you got two things right you are told by both men and women you look good with makeup but without no one looks your way. Because you portray a lie of what you really look like. AT least you know you are not good looking Kudos for that.

Ray May 02 2014 at 4:11 PM

What do American men care what UK Blokes like in women. Why don't you ask American men??

ndqnsny Ray May 02 2014 at 6:36 PM

Because American men feel the same as the British Blokes unless he's an American idiot.

fiefersunfire May 02 2014 at 4:14 PM

I don't care what anyone thinks. My mood and the mirror counts.

jigokurei May 02 2014 at 4:17 PM

I agree, less is more. I would also suggest though, to also keep plucking and shaving. : )

Ideally, men like a pretty face and smooth skin, but we hate waiting. And to also add, I don't care to know how long it takes you to get ready, as long as it doesn't interfere with my schedule. And lastly, I don't care to know what you have to do to keep yourself looking, feeling, and smelling nice...just keep doing it.

World Series