Man discovers possum in shower bag at campsite

Unexpected Discovery in Campsite Shower

Stephen Paice discovered a possum in a shower facility at a camping site in Queensland, Australia.

Stephen was about to fill the camping shower with water, but luckily he looked inside first. At this campsite, the shower is a "canvas bag on a pulley system. So, you pour a bucket of water in the top and take a shower. So, I came in, ready to take my shower, and pulled the canvas bag down, and ... just before I poured the water in ... found this little fellow. Hello!"

A quick peek into the bag revealed what is either a very relaxed or utterly terrified possum. Either way, both parties sized each other up and didn't make any quick movements.

Stephen returned with his camera to film the shower invader. His response to the critter? "No shower for me today."

How would you have reacted if you came face to face with an unexpected pal? Let us know in the comments below.

Miss H. May 01 2014 at 2:41 PM

possums carry NO diseases and are nature's 'sanitation engineers'...they are harmless unless extremely provoked...i hope that this one was not harmed.

Judith Miss H. May 01 2014 at 2:48 PM

Wherever did you get that idea? They very rarely carry rabies because of their unusually low body temperatures. However, they are known to carry diseases like leptospirosis, tuberculosis, relapsing fever, tularemia, spotted fever, toxoplasmosis, coccidiosis, and trichomoniasis. Don't get bitten by one!

Tammy Miss H. May 01 2014 at 3:04 PM

You are correct on the rabies but they do sometimes carry other diseases. However, possums are very laid back and will rarely engage in a fight unless forced. They will put on a horrific display tho showing teeth and hissing etc but will escape when possible. I love them.

coopski1 May 01 2014 at 1:29 PM

How adorable. I hope he wasn't trying to escape something bigger and either reptilian or snake-ish !!! And hope it's not close by !

mathwes.richard1 May 01 2014 at 3:55 PM

that's not a possum

jjhd98 mathwes.richard1 May 01 2014 at 4:02 PM

Sorry to in form you, but that is and Aussie Possum. They are very much different from what the US possum's look like. Cheer's 'n G' day Mate.

ctoni47784 jjhd98 May 01 2014 at 4:19 PM

I wish our possums looked like that!

Flag 0 rate up
colosam jjhd98 May 01 2014 at 4:20 PM

And they have great fur...very warm

Flag 0 rate up
ctslair May 01 2014 at 1:23 PM

Hey, the possum was just having a nice nap in a hammock somebody was nice enough to hang up...

erin ctslair May 01 2014 at 1:35 PM

My thoughts exactly. They are gentle little creatures.

abbott1912 erin May 01 2014 at 2:58 PM

Our pet opposum died after sharing years of enjoyment with us. A friend stopped by one day during a rainstorm, and I asked "Did you see Dude outside?" She was amazed then to see him running down the side of the hill (having completed his morning constituional), across the driveway, onto the deck, and past her through the kitchen door. He didn't like rain, etc., and much preferred living indoors with a heat pump. The cat and the Mastiff didn't mind. He liked being pet and went to school as a "show and tell" omnivore.

Flag 0 rate up
haroldbellzonna May 01 2014 at 1:23 PM

Oh my story is so sad.............I took a bag of trash out to the burn barrel the night before and then again the next day, I set the trash afire and as I watched it burn I noticed the trash was moving about. I got my poker and moved the burning trash around and lo and behold there was a possum in the burn barrel. Needless to say the fire was burning to hot to get the little fella out and I felt terrible. Now I always check the barrel first!

atlcsw May 01 2014 at 1:22 PM

I am happy that he treated the animal well but probably should have tried to let it out in the woods so it could get away. The next person may not have been so kind.

howdy Doo May 01 2014 at 1:20 PM

possums and coons are actually very loveable animals...I had a **** want to sleep on my window seal once and a family of possums raid my cat food., Like any living creature, they desire food, comfort and kindness. ALL animals deserve the respect they have been so long denied. It is a welcome relief to witness this kind interaction where the helpless creature is shot with a camera and not a gun

erin howdy Doo May 01 2014 at 1:40 PM

Agreed. I have raised countless opposums, raccoons, squirrels (and even a skunk) through the years due to abandonment or other necessities. Some of them make it, and I release them into the wild. Others do not, unfortunately, and it has broken my heart. They are very gentle, intelligent, curious, and funny creatures. And so soft. Especially the squirrels. We ended up keeping the skunk as a pet as she could not safely be released. She was the coolest, most loving, funniest little creature I have ever known - and she was loved enormously. She was litter box trained, and ate cat food. I wouldn't hesitate to have another skunk if the situation arose again. The look on people's faces when I walked her was priceless, too. :)

Mark Mason May 01 2014 at 4:02 PM

Don't look like any Possum I've ever seen, not enough teeth and to bushy a tail.

e_stinson May 01 2014 at 1:04 PM

Looks different from my possums in South Carolina. I'd take the bag down, carry it outside, and let it go. If it looked hungry, I'd offer catfood.

mcsinchas e_stinson May 01 2014 at 3:50 PM

yea the possums around SC are flat

moman361412 May 01 2014 at 4:25 PM

I would have let him stay as long as he wanted, He like the company ..

World Series