Madeleine McCann's parents desperate for answers

Madeleine McCann's Parents Desperate For Answers

The parents of Madeleine McCann, the 3-year-old girl who went missing during a family vacation in Portugal seven years ago, are speaking out about their daughter's disappearance.

Kate and Gerry McCann say they desperately want answers about what happened to their daughter, who disappeared from her bed while her parents ate at a nearby restaurant in 2007.

A British TV show recreating the event has sparked many tips from viewers. But although there still aren't any solid answers, the McCanns remain hopeful.

"Time rolling on for us is still painful, and living in a limbo of not knowing is horrible. ... We want the progress that's been made to continue."

And according to British tabloid The Sun, the McCanns believe renewed investigations might result in their daughter being found alive, although they're frustrated there has been no joint inquiry between British and Portuguese police.

Kate told NBC, "If we haven't found Madeleine or we haven't found what happened then we haven't done enough."

Investigators say they might have identified a link between a potential suspect and a series of break-ins targeting British families in the area.

Kate McCann has launched a new child rescue alert system in the U.K., similar to the U.S.'s Amber Alert. She believes the new system will save lives and deter other abductors.

bejoda27 May 01 2014 at 4:20 PM

At the time of the disapperance of the child, the parents seemed quite defensive and ho-hum about it. They acted as if they were more interested in defending their own selves than finding their child. It's still a mystery to me that they did not seem more emotional and wanting to find her. Now, suddenly they want to blame everyone else for not finding her. I pray she is safe somewhere.

bbh907 bejoda27 May 01 2014 at 4:28 PM

Me too,but after all this time,I doubt it!

dawndee994 May 01 2014 at 8:39 PM

what responsible parent leaves their kid unattended ro go out to dinner
hopefully the kid has a better set of parents wherever she is

foxylynx May 01 2014 at 9:33 PM

I feel so sorry for them - not knowing must be hell. I will say that I would never even leave my sweet dog in my car, not even for a couple of minutes - too many sick nuts out there.

scarlett11452 May 01 2014 at 9:47 PM

I hate to say it, but they didn't do enough as parents to protect their child.

Kenny May 01 2014 at 9:54 PM

better look close at the parents

mals May 01 2014 at 11:45 PM

You know, a child can go missing easily in a grocery or department store. I can't tell you how many times I have been shopping and have seen a small child wandering alone. Because I work in a school I always stop and ask the child, "Where is your Mom?" Sometimes they point a few aisles away, sometimes they don't answer (probably because they have been told not to talk to strangers--yet are allowed to wander away). When I track down the parent, some act irritated with me and grab their child and walk away. A few times I have said that I was a social worker (actually I am a guidance counselor) to scare them but guess what--I go on about shopping and there is the child again--alone. And I live in the US.

SAM May 02 2014 at 1:00 AM

They should have never left their little children alone in a hotel room, especially in a foreign country. I do help that they find her alive.

Liebchken May 02 2014 at 2:00 AM

The parents were stupid to leave their children alone in a hotel room in a foreign country for a dinner. I thought that needed repeating, though they wake up to that reality every day, as they should. A self induced shame they will regret for the rest of their lives.

sahamel May 02 2014 at 2:03 AM

3 years old and they left her alone sleeping in a hotel room; excuse me but isn't that child neglect?

Jean sahamel May 02 2014 at 3:24 AM

no it is notneglect at all it is better callled were theypolicein on it ?wa ssomeone geting a kick back for stealing Maddie ?anyone knowing the way portugese policebotchup crimes had a pretty clean shot at sucessfully abducing Msddie and my gut feeling is the cops knew their game and who was playingso they let them goprior rapes and incidentspror to Maddies disapearance must have given them some very firm idea on who wasidoing these horrible things to little girls they failed thse girls terribly it is their faultMaddie was takennot the parents

Elizabeth Jean May 02 2014 at 4:57 AM

In the United States, that is child neglect.

Flag 0 rate up
swanderman May 02 2014 at 2:05 AM

.......what happened to their daughter, who disappeared from her bed while her parents ate at a nearby restaurant in 2007."
GUILTY