Hold music when you call E-Z Pass is unexpected

The Hold Music When You Call E-Z Pass Is... Interesting

Customers who call E-Z Pass about issues may be a tad baffled when the hold music kicks in ... if you could actually call it music. It's definitely not the typical muzak you normally get when on hold or in a waiting room.

Buzz60 reporter Gillian Pensavalle realized that the hold music for the electronic toll collection system was pretty random, and she couldn't resist having some fun with it.

She played the "music" (which is actually more like a random sound than a tune) for people without telling them what it was.

The overall consensus was that it sounds like a manic horse, or some sort of cartoon character clomping around. People had mixed thoughts on where they thought the music was being played, but most figured it was from some sort of game show or kiddie program.

When people realized they were listening to hold music, their reactions were priceless.

What do you think about the sound? Would you stick around to wait to talk to a representative, or would it drive you nuts?

pmjwbj May 03 2014 at 7:41 PM

GOOD LUCK even trying to get a live person to answer at the Pennsylvania Offices of EZ-Pass. I tried to contact them two weeks ago and you can speak to NO ONE !!!!!!

laclone May 03 2014 at 12:02 PM

The whole point of it is to get you to hang up.
They don't want to deal with your problems.

fred May 03 2014 at 12:39 PM

"Would you stick around to wait to talk to a representative, or would it drive you nuts?" That's probably the point. The more people they can get to hang up without talking to a representative, the less work they have to do.

pepelaputr May 03 2014 at 6:45 PM

Too bad an audio sample isn't included in this article.
If it's what I think it is, it's not "music". It's what some companies (I heard it on Comcast) use to indicate that their computer system is "checking your information"
Odd though it is, i's better than stringing together unrelated and widely modulated pieces of music interspersed with announcements that "your call is very important to us".

Steve May 03 2014 at 12:45 PM

My reaction to this story has a value: $0.01 !!

Kenny May 03 2014 at 12:52 PM

this story is the horror of it all..........

alspoolhall May 03 2014 at 1:03 PM

Interesting. My pet peeve! I complain to every Customer Service person about the music on hold that I was just made to listen to. While on hold, I'm reading or watching tv or listening to my music and I don't want there usually-too-loud and sucky music blasting in my ear. I always state my displeasure nicely but usually they are bummed out that I have the audacity to mention it. One I was asked (sourly) "what would I put in place of it!" and to her surprise, I said a quiet chime every five seconds or a soft voice saying, "Still holding" (like the telephone operators of old would do). We cannot think outside the box and we just do whatever everyone else is doing . . . hate that.

Steve Schiffman alspoolhall May 03 2014 at 1:48 PM

Easy solution: use speaker phone and put vol control on very low.

Jacqueline May 03 2014 at 1:39 PM

THIS IS BECAUSE THEY WANT YOU TO HANG UP, THEY DONT WANT YOU TO CALL THEM. TRUE! I called the xbox people for my kids the other day, the message gets on and tells you that your wait time is 49 mins. do you still want to hold, so I said yes, IDK WHAT I WAS THINKING, determined maybe, and guess what, someone picked up immediately, hence, they do not want you to call them. Tactics to get you to hang up!! because if you're calling them, you want something, and they don't want to encourage that.

jigokurei May 03 2014 at 2:20 PM

The noise is intentional; they rather have callers hang up than have to talk to them.

michells27 jigokurei May 03 2014 at 5:48 PM

Yup, that is what I was thinking. EZ Pass is terrible.

Barbiebnymph May 03 2014 at 3:30 PM

Neat idea. Drive the customer away with obnoxious sounds. Cheap way to handle complaints.