Tourist who gave food to 'homeless' Richard Gere speaks out

Woman Who Gave Food To 'Homeless' Richard Gere Speaks Out

Earlier this month, Richard Gere had us all fooled while shooting his newest film. Dressed as a homeless man, he was so convincing that a tourist even stopped to offer him some food.

"I gave my doggy bag to a homeless and the homeless is Richard Gere."

That's Karine Gambeau, a French tourist who was visiting Little Italy and accidentally stumbled onto the set of "Time Out of Mind."

The film obviously has an incredible costume designer, because we couldn't even recognize Gere in his grimy clothes. Who would have guessed it was the "Pretty Woman" star who was digging through the trash?

Certainly not Gambeau, who stopped Gere on the street and offered him her leftover chicken barbecue pizza.

She told a reporter from the New York Post that Gere simply thanked her and said 'God bless you' before accepting the pizza and moving on.

Gambeau wasn't the only person the actor fooled.

People magazine notes a newspaper salesman said Gere "looked like a natural homeless guy. He didn't seem like he was acting. He was putting his hand in the trash. He looked like a real homeless guy finding something."

In fact, Gambeau didn't even realize she'd spoken with the actor until two days later ... when she saw photos of their exchange online, according to The Independent.

How's that for a vacation story?

wittlief April 30 2014 at 1:50 PM

hey don't eat that garbage!
here, eat this garbage..........

jgasreltibbetts April 30 2014 at 2:06 PM

You can have "everything" one day and the next....nothing...It can happen to anyone...

Ashley April 30 2014 at 2:11 PM

I live near Pittsburgh and there are those who appear homeless and beg and actually make quite a bit of money. Because of that, a lot of locals won't give handouts because they feel they may be duped. I'd rather err on the side of helping someone that may really need it. If I'm being duped, I'm not out that much. But if they have a real need, I'm doing something really good.

lostalotofstixs April 30 2014 at 2:05 PM

please remember homeless are somebodys child,brother,sister, mother, father,grandpa,grandma,cousin,aunty,uncle,most are mentally ill,drug attic or alcholic please be kind,most of the time they don't believe they are sick and the biggest reason there is NOT ENOUGH housing and help out there so please don't make a big deal that an actor is dress really nice for a homeless person make a big deal and walk a NAMI WALK TO SUPPORT SICK PEOPLE THIS MONTH

teeveequeen lostalotofstixs April 30 2014 at 2:13 PM

and don't forget ... some of these so-called homeless people are just SCAMMING people

kmk1072 teeveequeen April 30 2014 at 2:32 PM

Sure....sometimes....maybe...and yet that means I'm WAY more fortunate than they are, in that I have a home, family, health, nutrition, a heart, a soul AND a conscience. So I'm out a few cents because I handed a scam artist coffee and a muffin. Big deal. It's hard to begrudge others anything when you feel grateful, not chronically suspicious.

Flag +11 rate up
hmanden April 30 2014 at 2:03 PM

Very kind hearted and considerate!

jgasreltibbetts April 30 2014 at 2:02 PM

That was a genuine act of kindness. If you have ever been homeless and starving you would understand this. When you have nothing even "garbage" seems good.
One man's trash is another's treasure.

sbettybooi jgasreltibbetts April 30 2014 at 2:49 PM

Agree. I was homeless for a few days once. It's an eye opening mind blowing experience. Stay really homeless too long and it will mess up your mind. God is good he rescued me and I have had a roof over my head since then. So, I try to do what I can if I see a homeless person.

JoBeth April 30 2014 at 2:01 PM

Shame on you. wittlief

JoBeth April 30 2014 at 2:00 PM

They should keep that clip in the movie, she deserves it.

hotspringspark JoBeth April 30 2014 at 2:16 PM

I agree

spike April 30 2014 at 1:59 PM

It was a simple gesture but thoughtful.MOST would have walked past him and thrown the food in the trash,for him to dig out.It makes them feel superior.

Barbie Culpepper spike April 30 2014 at 2:34 PM

teeveequeen sure would have done that!!!! probably would have spit on it first!!!!!

sbettybooi spike April 30 2014 at 2:50 PM

I try never to throw food away. I will look for someone homeless, or ask someone I know if they want my leftover food, or eventually eat it myself. Grew up in a family of seven siblings, so was very grateful to have food without consciously thinking about it.

jgasreltibbetts April 30 2014 at 1:53 PM

Still some nice people in the world:-D