Tourist who gave food to 'homeless' Richard Gere speaks out

Woman Who Gave Food To 'Homeless' Richard Gere Speaks Out

Earlier this month, Richard Gere had us all fooled while shooting his newest film. Dressed as a homeless man, he was so convincing that a tourist even stopped to offer him some food.

"I gave my doggy bag to a homeless and the homeless is Richard Gere."

That's Karine Gambeau, a French tourist who was visiting Little Italy and accidentally stumbled onto the set of "Time Out of Mind."

The film obviously has an incredible costume designer, because we couldn't even recognize Gere in his grimy clothes. Who would have guessed it was the "Pretty Woman" star who was digging through the trash?

Certainly not Gambeau, who stopped Gere on the street and offered him her leftover chicken barbecue pizza.

She told a reporter from the New York Post that Gere simply thanked her and said 'God bless you' before accepting the pizza and moving on.

Gambeau wasn't the only person the actor fooled.

People magazine notes a newspaper salesman said Gere "looked like a natural homeless guy. He didn't seem like he was acting. He was putting his hand in the trash. He looked like a real homeless guy finding something."

In fact, Gambeau didn't even realize she'd spoken with the actor until two days later ... when she saw photos of their exchange online, according to The Independent.

How's that for a vacation story?

sahnne April 30 2014 at 3:56 PM

How many of you people out there who criticize the homeless here in the U.S.A. have actually BEEN HOMELESS themselves? Until you KNOW what it is like FIRST HAND STOP with the ignorant comments!!

malindadenman sahnne April 30 2014 at 4:12 PM

That's part of the problem with America today, too many bad folks living here, all I can say is God help your ignorance.

eeverettm April 30 2014 at 4:42 PM

He looks too clean to be a real homeless.

beauty108ccl eeverettm April 30 2014 at 5:26 PM

my daughter wanted to give a homeless man some money. i was trying to teach her that its ok to give when you want or can. however do it, so instead, we went to the nearest mcdonalds, and bought the man a hamburer. he was very kind and almost did not accept the burger, however he noticed i was trying to teach my daughter something kind. he was truly not an alcoholic, or a begar for a free meal.
i was once almost homeless. i had 50 cents. i went to burger king. i could not wait any longer,as i was so so hungry. so i went in the middle of the night,and ask to buy a 1/2 of just the burger. the cashier gave me the whole meal. i am still very grateful.back in my day, i was truly homeless looking for work. there were not homeless shelters or food pantrys.you truly were on your own. that person gave me the strenght to live another day, and i was ok enough to land a good job that very next day.when i told the interviewer what had happened. she gave me a weeks worth of a hotel, cash and job

natezim April 30 2014 at 4:47 PM

Great pre advertising for this movie!!

Becky April 30 2014 at 4:49 PM

The determining factor here is the word "Tourist"....you see a tourist does not have to deal with homeless everytime they walk out of their homes or businesses in the area everyday. I live in a area where there are alot of homeless people...due to the weather being very nice 11 months out of the year. When I first moved here I was very I guess generous....Soon I learned that I oculd not walk out of a store without being hassled or intimidated by the "homeless". Sometimes 4-5 at a time. Soon I stopped being generous. Come on he was drinking alcohol out of a bag.....who would give him money...why to spend it on alcohol. Just recently a aquantance of mine became homeless...and I gave him money.....three hours later he came back to me for more stating he just spent two hours at a local bar....and spent the money I gave...

tucville2002 April 30 2014 at 5:10 PM

GOD bless him with the talent to be a good actor.
Richard Gere must give thanks and praise to Almighty God for giving him the talent to be a very good actor, because all talent and power comes from no one else but from Almighty God.
Peace.
True Faith Minister.

jaydc1388 tucville2002 April 30 2014 at 5:30 PM

He's a Buddhist, no gods.................

brian tucville2002 April 30 2014 at 6:39 PM

You become successful by hard work and a little work. Good to have a good head on your sholders as well.

icolec2 April 30 2014 at 5:13 PM

One of my favorite actors, I have watched so many Gere movies I think I would have recognized him.

leasingassoc April 30 2014 at 5:13 PM

What a vacation story!

chanell 44 April 30 2014 at 5:22 PM

i don't think i would have known him either,,and God Bless her for offering him some food ,,,,,,,,,,even tho he didn't need it,,,,,,,,,,,,,she thought she was helping some one who was homeless--------just goes to show there are still some people with feeling,when they see someone who needs help

VETDET91 April 30 2014 at 5:23 PM

Had I known that was Richard Gere I would of taken him home and cooked him a nice hot meal

medepotdoll April 30 2014 at 5:24 PM

HERS WAS A RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS...NO MATTER WHO ENDED UP BEING THE RECIPIENT.. THIS DOESN'T NEED TO BE CRITICISED...JUST APPRECIATED...SPREAD LOVE AND KINDNESS ...NOT HATE AND JUDGEMENT

DSavje medepotdoll April 30 2014 at 5:44 PM

What about the guy whom called women sows?

chad44145 medepotdoll April 30 2014 at 7:12 PM

These people are incapable of love and kindness. Money, greed, and competition got em held down.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal