NY high schooler accepted by all eight Ivy colleges chooses Yale

Teen Accepted to All 8 Ivy League Schools

By Curtis Skinner

(Reuters) - A Long Island high school student who pulled off the enviable feat of being accepted by all eight Ivy League colleges will be taking his academic talents to Yale University, he announced on Wednesday.

Kwasi Enin, 17, told a news conference at William Floyd High School in Mastic, New York, that visiting Yale's New Haven, Connecticut campus and an undisclosed financial aid package helped him choose it over its seven rivals: Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University, and the University of Pennsylvania. The eight Northeastern schools are considered among the most desirable in the United States.

"I met geniuses from all across the world, and everyone from there was so friendly and inviting," the high school senior said. "I believe that their deep appreciation and love for music, like I have, was very critical in my decision to go there."

Yale was long considered his favorite. Last week, Enin tweeted, "Yo! Yale! Yeaaaaaaah! #Yale2018 #tooepic."

Enin, from the Long Island town of Shirley, is the son of two nurses. He said that after graduating from Yale he wants to, "enter medical school, graduate and become a successful doctor."

He said he called the news conference at his school's gymnasium to prevent the kind of media frenzy that was touched off earlier this month by his acceptance into all of the most prestigious schools in the United States. The teen underwent a barrage of interviews and an appearance on CBS television's "Late Night with David Letterman." Enin said he needed to keep his schedule clear so he could focus on upcoming advanced placement tests.

Enin is in rarefied company, given this year's Ivy League average admission rate of 8.925 percent, according to the Washington Post. Of 253,472 applicants to the Class of 2018 for all eight Ivy League schools, only 22,624 were accepted.

"I'm mostly excited to meet all the new friends I'll find in college, the new experiences I'll have, and the new beginnings," Enin said.

(Reporting by Curtis Skinner; Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Jonathan Oatis)

keithpagano April 30 2014 at 10:45 PM

its all because he is negro

art April 30 2014 at 10:42 PM

To bad he thinks that becoming a doctor will make the best use of his intellect. Hasn't someone explained to him that being a doctor is becoming the new slavery.......I am a doctor and that is what it is. Congratulations on the future.

Welcome Bobbie April 30 2014 at 10:37 PM

Sincere congratulations to both Kwasi Enin and his parents! You have filled my heart with pride and hope. I am sure that not only everyone in Ghana WA is celebrating your achievments, but know that all of us throughout the African diaspora celebrate as well. Good job, well done!!!

moebette Welcome Bobbie April 30 2014 at 11:38 PM

I think that all parents, regardless of race, are proud of his accomplishments

arnie moebette April 30 2014 at 11:58 PM

THEY SHOULD BE

Flag 0 rate up
Stevie or Jobaby April 30 2014 at 10:33 PM

Its because He is a Negro- Needs to go back to Africa and pick some cotton!

tcellguru April 30 2014 at 10:28 PM

Smart guy, good luck

rumpoint4us April 30 2014 at 10:46 PM

"WHAT, a local community college is not good enough, Kwasi?"

Seriously, "congratulations to you, Kwasi" !

The only way I'd make it onto the campuses of any of the Ivy league schools is if someone invited me to lunch.

keithpagano April 30 2014 at 10:26 PM

As we say in the south, thats one smart negro. figures hs a yankee negro, ours are dumb

kjpm273 April 30 2014 at 10:24 PM

God Bless and good luck to this boy who worked so hard to get where he's going.
YOU! Mom and Dad have to be very proud of him and for guiding his foot steps
all the way.

Joy April 30 2014 at 10:24 PM

It would have been interesting to find out what the impetus was that got him accepted in the first place. I take it he is a very bright student but I wonder what he has done that makes him such an outstanding student that shines above the rest? Congratulations to Enin, I wish him much success.

najeenena Joy April 30 2014 at 10:33 PM

Just google his name Kathleen. His story is well documented. He is extremely intelligent and a very accomplished musician.

JG Joy April 30 2014 at 10:36 PM

I was wondering along the same lines Kathleen....He should spend the summer writing a book about his unique life. It could make him some nice spending money for college. Seems like a smart kid!

Phil April 30 2014 at 10:43 PM

This is a classic example of reverse discrimination, no white male student would be accepted to even half those colleges with similar credentials.