Note found in Kurt Cobain's wallet mocks wedding vows to Courtney Love

SEATTLE (AP) -- A handwritten note police discovered in Kurt Cobain's wallet after his suicide disparages Courtney Love, the late Nirvana front man's wife.

CBS News reported that the note was taken from Cobain's wallet when police arrived at his home on April 8, 1994, after Cobain fatally shot himself. The note was never made public. CBS obtained it from the Seattle Police via a public information request.

The network reports that the undated note, apparently written by Cobain on stationery from San Francisco's Phoenix Hotel, is written like a mock wedding vow. It references Love as Cobain's "lawful shredded wife" who would be "siphoning" his money for drugs.

Cobain's body was discovered in Seattle on April 8, 1994. An investigation determined that days earlier Cobain had gone into the greenhouse of his home and taken a massive dose of heroin. He then shot himself with a 20-gauge shotgun.

Earlier this year, in advance of the 20th anniversary of Cobain's suicide, a Seattle detective reviewed the case files, including evidence photos and statements. He found no new information to change the police conclusion that Cobain took his own life.

Cobain, who was 27 when he died, sold millions of albums with Nirvana and helped popularize the Pacific Northwest's heavy, muddy "grunge" rock.

Kurt Cobain, Courtney Love And The 'Mock Vows' Note

jstme.toyou April 30 2014 at 11:43 PM

Maybe they should have let sleeping dogs lie. This didn't need to come out in public. I am sure it hurt her as and now his daughter as well. It's a shame.

Cribaby jstme.toyou April 30 2014 at 11:48 PM

I totally agree with that...let him rest in peace.

dave_algonquin jstme.toyou April 30 2014 at 11:50 PM

I don't disagree, but it was released through what looks like a FOIA request. Nothing authorities could really do about that.

Jeri-Anne May 01 2014 at 12:26 AM

I shouldn't comment. I didn't read the article. WTF is wrong with the media that they want to wham bam-and say that there something was wrong with Courtney and Kurt's marriage. Really fkd up.

LAURA Jeri-Anne May 01 2014 at 12:42 AM

Wrong? Wasn't he planning on divorcing her? He had been in contact with a divorce lawyer.

djn1978 May 01 2014 at 12:35 AM

I love when people say things about people they know nothing about. Everyone whos on here talking bad about him thank him. He gave you entertainment in your life at the expense of his life., Everything we think we know of him is from the minds of magazine wrighters who should also thank him for useing him like a puppet even in death. He could of murdered,he could of sued, he could of destroyed people by going public about stuff. Instead a man died broken. and let the world win.

phoenixpiano djn1978 May 01 2014 at 1:23 AM

He could HAVE...not he could OF. Go back to school and learn English properly.

Kellie phoenixpiano June 30 2014 at 5:46 AM

Ok grammar Nazi.

Flag 0 rate up
Kim May 01 2014 at 12:35 AM

I'm so happy 'cause today. I've found my friends ... They're in my head. I'm so ugly, but that's okay, 'cause so are you ...

hollemantom Kim May 01 2014 at 12:43 AM

What an idiot you are...

marc.vince Kim May 25 2014 at 10:36 PM

Kim, you're an intelligent girl. But that comment you made will be on some server someplace for maybe millions of years, doing nothing for anyone but upsetting someone. And then there is the quantum physics theory that once something negative is released, the energy lasts forever because nothing realy dies, it just changes form. Im getting heavy here because I see over the course of a day in which I am blessed to get paid to be on the net all day long, I see how much cursing,flaming and really trying to verbally hurt other people to death, that it destroys so much of what the Internet was made for......getting a hold of good information. In other words, if you could write what you wrote, what are the thousands of thoughts going on in your head that you do not ever write down but stay in your head forever and grow like weeds. Hey, I enjoy ripping other people apart who act inappropriate to others but only if it gains someone something. Peace out.

The Creative Cures marc.vince May 30 2014 at 1:25 PM

Marc, those are Nirvana lyrics you massive retard!

Flag +2 rate up
Holly Marie May 01 2014 at 1:05 AM

how about this... it was 20 years ago? who cares what it said... they have nothing better to do than cover drugged up "celebrities" find something else to talk about with more meaning.

pscottparker10231955 May 01 2014 at 1:20 AM

The guy was unbelievably talented. Wish he would have kicked her to the curb and found somebody who cared about him more than his money. Too too young to die. Would have been nice to have him around a lot longer...

proteus12544 May 01 2014 at 1:23 AM

Add a comment...I don't pretend to know what demons he was fighting that made taking his own life seem like a good option. I doubt anyone can say they know for sure. What I do know is that he made a decision that left that beautiful baby girl with a mess of a Mom as her only parent. I personally believe suicide is a cowardly act. Its easy to pull a trigger and one heck of a lot harder to fight and do what you need to do to live and to be there for your child. That said I truly hope he found peace.

jcbelle132 proteus12544 May 01 2014 at 2:01 AM

without Christ there is no peace...Go see the Son of Man movie... He died so that the Cobanes of the world would have reason to live now and in eternity... I fear this man found a greatev horror than the one he was gifted for living..

jmg62 May 01 2014 at 1:23 AM

and,......? As if anyone needed a note? Were there conclusions drawn other than none. Did Courtney have anything to say about it? Frances Bean? Oh, I see - "a report" for a headline is not the same as as an "investigative report" including what effects "a report" could mean. I'm surprised Kurt Cobain didn't have this written on a bill board over the Santa Monica Freeway. But if this is the only thing to "report" - let's get it out of the way now - was anything, that's ANYTHING at all - found anywhere, that's ANYWHERE else at all in the 20 yrs since the man killed himself other than this "note"? If future discoveries are gonig to be this intense I'm afraid I'm just not going to be fooled a second time. It's just too devestating.

Sonic Pressure! May 01 2014 at 1:42 AM

For what purpose is this news released. No respect for the dead.

Gorobei Sonic Pressure! May 01 2014 at 1:59 AM

I agree -- leave the dead and Courtney alone!

vasp99 May 01 2014 at 1:46 AM

For what purpose revealing this note? I'm sure Courtney Love suffered enough, so why bother?