Carjacker clings to side of moving taxi cab

Man Clings To Side Of Taxi As It Speeds Down Expressway

This is one way to not steal a car. Video of a man clinging to the side of the taxi made the morning show rounds Tuesday morning.

"A wild ride on a New York City highway. Police say a man seen hanging from that taxi actually tried to carjack the driver, who then sped away at up to 70 miles per hour."

"Just like a scene out of a movie, a crazy carjacker -- look at that, caught on video trying to break into a New York City cab as that cab is speeding down the highway."

"The suspect held on for dear life, eventually the cab did slow down enough for the man to jump off. Police say he tried to steal another car, but police then caught up with him and gave that man a free ride to jail."

"Police say he tried to steal another car."

Yes - let's get this straight - this guy hopped off the cab when he finally could without dying - and then he TRIED TO STEAL ANOTHER CAR. If only he'd gotten a third try - that's the charm, right?

The story was first broken by WCBS in New York. The outlet reports suspect Matthew McCorkle pulled the move around 2 am Monday, and held onto the side of the cab for miles.

It was another taxi driver that caught everything on camera. WCBS spoke with the taxi driver who was behind the wheel.

"If I stop the car, if this guy tries to get in my car, if he get in my car - he can have a weapon, he can have a knife. Anything can happen to me."

According to WCBS, the cab got stopped in a traffic jam and McCorkle jumped off, then pulled a driver out of another car and drove off. Police caught him not longer after when he crashed.

The New York Daily News reports McCorkle is 26 years old and has been arrested on various charges, including robbery and criminal possession of a weapon, in the past.

This time he's been charged with driving while intoxicated, robbery and grand larceny. Luckily, no one was injured.

lem314 April 30 2014 at 7:24 PM

I would have taken off and cruised about 90 and came as close as possible to every sign post, bridge abutment and obstacle on my left as I could without scrape'in off my paint, but close enough to scrape off the a*s of his 'tightie whities' ... so he can crap himself ... as I'm heading toward the river then slam on the brakes and see how far and many times I could make him skip across the water until he sinks. Sorta like skimmin' river stones when I was a kid but then again those stones had more brains then this a*s-wipe.

IBruzEZ April 30 2014 at 9:54 AM

If someone tried to hijack me, I would do the same thing if I could.!

Humberto IBruzEZ April 30 2014 at 12:34 PM

Well yes, but with care ( mean, if I do not have a car behind or at least far enough), I would brake hard, that will send him to fly to the pavement, and if he gets up. them I will ram him. :-), I wonder what was the substance for the DUI? marijuana? I just cannot wait the report from next year from Colarado DUI

JIM April 30 2014 at 9:54 AM

And this guy also looks like he could be Obama's son. Is this just a cooincidence, or is it a start, or just a continuance, of something much more devious??? Only time will tell, but the stats are already there for those who care to look.

Charlie Deeee April 30 2014 at 10:04 AM

Oh come on, he just wanted a ride to KFC.

Tommy April 30 2014 at 10:06 AM

In the new America, I would not be surprised if the taxi driver was charged with endangering the life of the car jacker.

rwitchwoman63 April 30 2014 at 4:06 PM

What a dumbass anybody that's been to NY knows you don't pick an argument with an NY taxi driver....They be nuts man!!!!....Personally I would have just shot him!!!!...And drove away!

Greg April 30 2014 at 2:00 PM

it would of been great if the cab driver would of been able to drive straight to the nearest police station with the carjacker hanging on to the outside of his car.

Westchester1825 April 30 2014 at 2:09 PM

Cab driver should have just backed up and ran over him....

Westchester1825 April 30 2014 at 2:09 PM

That would keep him from trying it a second time...

Westchester1825 April 30 2014 at 2:11 PM

What a frigging doofus....hope he gets put away a l o n g while