Woman gives birth hours after husband's death

New Mother Speaks Out About Crash That Killed Husband

An Indiana woman who gave birth to her first child the same day she lost her husband in a tragic wreck is opening up about how she's healing.

22-year-old Rebecca Sperry and her husband Jesse were on their way home from church the day she was scheduled to have her baby. Except her first child came sooner than expected after an SUV going more than 90 mph rear-ended them, killing Jesse and severely injuring Rebecca. Doctors performed an emergency c-section just hours later.

Fortunately, her daughter Autumn is healthy and Rebecca is slowly recovering. She's received an overwhelming amount of support from family, friends and total strangers - but it's not always easy.

She told WTHR she's healing from her physical injuries as well as the loss of her husband and taking it one day at a time.

"You ask yourself at times, 'Why did you spare me?' I don't want to be here alone. I miss that when I'm hurting and when I'm crying myself to sleep I miss having those comforting arms around me."

What's more surprising is what she says about the man that hit them. James Foutch, an Edgewood police officer, was off-duty when he slammed into the couple. He's accused of being high on pills, but Rebecca says he merely made a mistake.

"I just wish people wouldn't lash out at him quite so hard. I mean, you can't tell me you have never made a mistake."

Rebecca is going through physical therapy and says she's looking forward to the day she can teach her daughter about her father.

sperskine April 28 2014 at 12:33 PM

God's own son died on a cross so we could be forgiven. Since he didn't protect his own son in this life from a gruesome temporary death, we are not guaranteed protection in this fragile but blink of
an eye compared with eternity life we are living. But we are guaranteed the life that follows this life forever if we believe this.

nurfaceart sperskine April 28 2014 at 12:46 PM

I think that I will go to my back yard and grab the first piece of wood that I find and then place it on eBay and claim that it came from the "Cross of Jesus"
I am sure that their will thousands of suckers willing to bid on it!

"There's a sucker born every minute" P. T. Barnum (1810–1891)

karenkelley26 nurfaceart April 28 2014 at 1:23 PM

A great many of those who 'debunk' traditional...values have in the background values of their own which they believe to be immune from the debunking process."- C.S. Lewis

Flag 0 rate up
TnT April 28 2014 at 4:54 PM

He just made a mistake??? Is she kidding?? He was an officer who was supposed to uphold the law and to serve and protect. He did the unthinkable! He must be held accountable for what he did.

angelsum TnT April 28 2014 at 6:49 PM

Vengeance belongs to the Lord.

Cristina angelsum April 28 2014 at 7:01 PM

There's a BIG difference between vengeance and JUSTICE.

Flag +4 rate up
msdaubie54 April 28 2014 at 4:23 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. You do have your baby girl to care for. Please let that be a big consolation in the days, months, and years to come.

chefjohnp April 28 2014 at 12:18 PM

Every time I feel a little sorry for myself in one way or another, this kind of story is a wake the F up call! God bless Rebecca and her baby. So sad.

Georgia A McD April 28 2014 at 4:11 PM

She's very magnanimous, but no one should drive when impaired by any type of drug. You just owe that to all the other people on the road. If you do and you take a life, you do deserve the consequences.

chasesea April 28 2014 at 3:15 PM

Wow...such a forgiving person. She's the better person than me. I would not be. 90mph? rear ended? Her baby could've died, too. All of them could've died. Geez. So sorry her baby will grow up without her father.

Cristina chasesea April 28 2014 at 3:32 PM

I wouldn't say that a person who forgives a careless person suspected of driving while high is a better person than you. Even it turns out that drugs wasn't in his system, he was STILL driving 90mph!!!!

Joe P April 28 2014 at 12:33 PM

This is a officer who should not have been one thinking that the badge put him above the law, I'm a retired officer and never in my 17 years did I think I had a free ride.

Bill Wendt Joe P April 28 2014 at 12:45 PM

Same here

dawnesue April 28 2014 at 2:04 PM

Sad

gcbears April 28 2014 at 1:45 PM

tragic but i've heard of this befor

Jdarren4ever April 28 2014 at 1:45 PM

So sad!!!!

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal