Student to be arraigned in prom day slaying

By STEPHEN SINGER
Apr 28, 2:41 AM EDT

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- A 16-year-old student faces arraignment on murder charges in the stabbing death of a classmate at their high school on the day of the junior prom.

Police haven't released the suspect's name, but people who saw him taken into custody identified him as Chris Plaskon, a friend of the victim, 16-year-old Maren Sanchez.

Plaskon's attorney, Richard Meehan, says his client is being held in a hospital under psychiatric evaluation and will not appear at his arraignment, scheduled for Monday in New Haven.

Plaskon is charged as a juvenile but Meehan has said he expects him to eventually be charged as an adult.

The stabbing occurred Friday morning at Jonathan Law High School in Milford, hours before the school's prom, and authorities are investigating whether Sanchez was stabbed after turning down the boy's invitation to the dance.

Connecticut's chief medical examiner said Sunday that Sanchez died of wounds to her torso and neck.

Milford Alderwoman Greta Stanford said the school would remain closed Monday. A memorial service is scheduled for 7 p.m. on the school's football field. Organizers are seeking donations so the junior class can buy a memorial bench in Sanchez's honor.

Mark Robinson, a technical education teacher who saw the suspect being taken out of the school in handcuffs, said Plaskon is the third of five brothers and has a good sense of humor. His family has deep roots in the community, Robinson said.

"There's no reason to suspect he would have done this. I think that's what makes it harder," Robinson said.

Classmate Imani Langston, who saw Plaskon being read his rights and taken away in a police car, said Sanchez and the boy were just friends and had never dated.

Sanchez, a member of the National Honor Society who was active in drama and other school activities, had been focused on prom in the days before her death. She had posted a photograph on Facebook of her blue prom dress and was looking forward to attending with a new boyfriend.

People who know Plaskon said he is an athlete and described him as genial and respectful.

"His family is devastated not only for him, but the youngster who was killed," Meehan said." It's a terrible situation all the way around."

Nigel April 28 2014 at 10:54 AM

THEY SHOULD.............................................

I WILL HAVE YOU FILL IN THE BLANK

mbrheljr April 28 2014 at 9:07 AM

Horrible crime. Evil personified?

BTW, "carhoos," since my wife is Latina, do you suggest we move closer to other Hispanics?

No offense, sir or madam, but that is a dumb comment...

carhoos mbrheljr April 28 2014 at 9:12 AM

If she wants to stay safe, maybe she should.

Dennis April 28 2014 at 9:10 AM

My heart and prayers goes out to both families. What a terrible thing this kid did to two families and to their fellow classmates.

chloe.lipps April 28 2014 at 12:30 PM

He should be in prison for killing her. She was young and didn't deserve that. no one deserves to be killed. And did he really have to do it on prom night?? I mean seriously come on? Grow up. People in the world should just get along instead of killing, and raping and everything else that has been going on here lately.

ABBA chloe.lipps April 28 2014 at 12:51 PM

Welcome to the human fabric.

Donna April 28 2014 at 11:20 AM

Charge him as an adult...he should not be able to walk this earth again..just like Maren will never be able to ..thanks to a psycho like him..my heartfelt sympathy goes out to Maren's family...

jmcbud614 April 28 2014 at 11:48 AM

Just reading the comments from some of the people makes me understand how these crimes happen. They blame it on politics, race, NRA, Religion & anything else except where it all belongs...At Home!!! I blame the parents for not being involved with their children enough to know what activities they are pursuing & who they are associating with. I was not a strict parent but I knew where my children were & who they were hanging out with & I taught them right from wrong. They were not the smartest kids, the most athelitic nor the most popular but they were hard working & respectful to not only their elders but also their classmates. I don't care what race either of these children were it is a tragic end to a life that had just begun. I believe that this child has mental issues that should have & still need to be addressed but he will most likely spend his therapy & rehabilatation behind bars. I will probably get stoned for making a rational comment instead of blaming the left or right wing or Obama or gun control but the fact is no gun or knife ever jumped up & killed anyone on it's own!!!

briabran April 28 2014 at 9:41 AM

What a sad situation. I pray for both families.

ralphhale3 April 28 2014 at 11:37 AM

A real tragedy , but this kid is no psycho. He very likely the typical young person - lacking basic social skill, inability to articulate thoughts, inability to handle criticism, constructive or otherwise, face-to-face people skills exist only with friends. Probably very adept at technology and social media, and great at gaming. THIS is what WE adults have wrought.

ggena April 28 2014 at 11:35 AM

Can authorities start investigating what LEGAL drugs these children are on, or have been on.
I'm talking about drugs like Allderol, Ritalin, antii-depressants, anti-anxiety drugs, etc., etc.

Seems like these children have lost control of their thoughts, and are acting purely on instincts.
Although the same for much of society. But, I do feel there may be a drug component motivating the action.

WDD April 28 2014 at 11:29 AM

As a retierd cop I have seen such things too many times over and over. There is only one just outcome here the punishment should fit the act. Yes and please do not hand me that old eye for and eye and the whole world would be blind Its not true. She got an unauthorized death penalty what is he going to get? They all get paroled somehow. I have arrested so many and after reading their RAP sheets wondered "Why are they back out here"?

sam WDD April 28 2014 at 12:01 PM

Because our system is flawed and it's a damned tragedy. My father has been a cop most his adult life and I've heard countless stories of horrible people getting awy with murder (pardon my expression) on baseless grounds because an officer said the wrong word or had an uncaught typo on the arrest report. You can commit the most heinous acts ever concieved to a fellow human but god forbid the justice system hurts your feelings....I'm sure this kid will walk. Hopefully, he'll meet his demise in a shady part of town in as uncomfortable a manner as was done upon her.

orion15stars WDD April 28 2014 at 1:46 PM

Then don't sit on any juries. Just tell those contacting you for jury duty you're too prejudicial to render any objective opinion on guilt or innocence.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal