Mystery of bear cub found near Lake Tahoe now solved

Mystery Of Bear Cub Found Near Lake Tahoe Now Solved

Officials were puzzled by a cute, fluffy bear cub left alone on the driveway of a California wildlife organization called the BEAR League. Well, it seems they might have learned what happened.

NBC reports, 'An anonymous man phoned the bear league in Lake Tahoe this weekend and said he found the cub at a state park 400 miles away crying and hugging her deceased mother. Officials believe the call was legitimate.'

The BEAR League, which used its Facebook page to update people on the story, also pointed to the phone call's credibility:

'He knew the answer to every question regarding where she was placed, what else was out there, the color of the blanket in the kennel etc. He said he found her ... near the Humbolt Redwoods State Park.'

The caller said he notified authorities but was told to leave the 10-week-old baby bear alone. Instead, he took the tiny cub to the wildlife organization.

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife said it will run the bear's DNA to pin down her origins.

The bear - named Tahoe - will be released back into her native area when she's ready.

Brad April 28 2014 at 9:32 PM

What a cuty pie Taho is.;

Joan April 28 2014 at 8:42 PM

Who in their right mind would just leave the baby clinging to its mother. I am so happy he got involved and took the cub to the Bear League. It is so cute and would have died a most horrible death if left alone.

Rick April 28 2014 at 8:39 PM

I wished game authorities would check out all info before they make rash decisions when it comes to whats's best for baby animals. In this case the mother bear was dead and the cub was left alone to survive. No way in god's green earth would that cub be able to survive by itself unless the game authorities step in to save the cub's life. Don't mean to mean mouth anyone but sometimes common sense takes c harge when it comes to defenseless animals large or small..... :)

Laurel April 28 2014 at 8:33 PM

The bear is to small to be on it's own so bravo to the man that saved it. The video of the little one is adorable and it now has a chance to hopefully grow old !!

B0b & Erin& Rach April 28 2014 at 8:32 PM

such a cute lil baby bear makes me happy

Dwnes2 April 28 2014 at 8:31 PM

If the baby was alone, no mama in sight, I'd be inclined to leave him thinking mama would return soon. However, in this instance, when you know mama is dead, I couldn't just leave him to die either. Maybe he drove so far away because that was the closet no kill organization. I had kids bringing me baby mag pies when they were cutting trees in our complex. It took me 6 hours to find a place to take them. Then they were reluctant to give me the address and had me meet someone in a parking lot. It was very 007. All I was trying to do was save some innocent (buy VERY LOUD) birds.

schlauger1 April 28 2014 at 8:13 PM

There are instances everyday that show the heart of everyday people. This is one of them. Don't rely on the ones in "charge" to get on the situation and make it right. Good move, good citizen.

jozatexan April 28 2014 at 8:11 PM

I'm curious about the mama bear. Where her remains found and examined for cause of death?

filokvetch1 April 28 2014 at 8:10 PM

Bravo to that wonderful human with a heart of gold for picking up that little fellow and bringing him to that organization.....BRAVO!

steph & shawn April 28 2014 at 8:04 PM

Once and a while mankind shocks me & goes out of their way to help something or someone who is completely helpless...these little random acts of kindness slowly restore my faith & belief that there is some good left in this world. Applause to the kind soul who rescued this little darling. I mean really unless your heart is made of ice, who could just walk away from that.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal