'Cinderella surgery' growing in popularity

'Cinderella Surgery' Growing In Popularity

Newsflash: Heels are not comfortable. A reported 87 percent of women have foot problems because of heels, and some are trying a drastic measure to fix it.

The New York Times recently featured Dr. Ali Sadrieh, a California podiatrist, who essentially gives every patient their happy - and more comfortable - ending with what he's dubbed the "Cinderella Procedure."

Women bring in shoes they want to wear but can't because they either don't fit, or they don't fit comfortably. That helps him determine how he needs to surgically change their feet to fit the shoes. He began offering the procedure 13 years ago and it's taken off ever since.

The women are willing to go to great lengths, like changing the length of their toes, even getting rid of toes or having fat inserted into the soles of their feet.

At first, Sadrieh says he thought the procedure was a pretty shallow move, but then he adopted a different point of view, saying, "I came to see she needs these shoes to project confidence, they are part of her outside skin. That's the real world."

Women have opted for surgery in the name of foot fashion all around the country.

A podiatrist in Memphis, Tennessee has been performing similar procedures for more than 15 years and says he sees as many as 30 patients in a month - many requesting their entire pinky toe be removed!

We're not sure how Cinderella would feel about the surgery named after her. After all, in the original (and terrifying) fairytale, it was her stepsisters who cut off parts of their feet to fit into shoes ...

Frostie April 29 2014 at 5:42 AM

Stupid.

Les Frostie April 29 2014 at 7:13 AM

Ditto...REALLY stupid!

no7mk1 April 29 2014 at 8:13 AM

This so called "cosmetic" surgery has gone well past ridiculousness.....we have the most vain people in the world...if you need that much plastic buy a corvette...

Ralph & Cindy April 29 2014 at 8:11 AM

Here's a flash, DON'T WEAR THEM!!

abudotcom April 29 2014 at 7:50 AM

To each their own,,,

vallontina April 29 2014 at 7:45 AM

Wouldn't removing a perfectly healthy pinky toe be consisered malpractice?

indabody vallontina April 29 2014 at 9:07 AM

I would say probably if it was done against a patients will but this is probably signed and agreed upon by patient and doctor before the procedure takes place.

zorrosmom54 April 29 2014 at 8:48 AM

I would never do this, but I wanted to offer a different point of view. Ever since I have been a little girl, I have had larger than what could be considered "normal" sized feet for a girl/woman. Luckily, I eventually grew to be 5'8" which made them look a little less like flippers.
Needless to say, I was often made fun of for their size (currently 11.5). There was one incident in which Mom had taken me shoe shopping. My older brother was with us and remarked, when the salesperson was assisting us, "Yes, I'd like something in a nice, spring battleship." It was a very funny, witty remark, but cruel at the same time.
I've lived my life trying to cover up my feet as well as trying to find shoes in my size. Unfortunately, I grew up in the '70's, so there wasn't much available in my size; Mom had to special-order them. (Thank God that's changed! Sears, Zappos, and many other retailers now carry cute, larger-sized shoes.)
Let me say that I'm not complaining. At least I have feet to walk on, and for that I'm very thankful.
I've said all this because, sadly, I perked up when I saw the title to this article. Could there finally be a safe surgery to make my feet smaller? I'd love to fit into a size 10 That way I could buy shoes off the rack.
Forgive my rambling folks, but like I said before, I just wanted to offer a different view about why a woman might resort to a desperate attempt to change/reshape her feet.

TakeHimToCourt April 29 2014 at 7:11 AM

Gross. Disgusting. A woman who chooses fashion over comfort or chooses "looks" over "natural" is just like a piece of plastic. How can you remove your pinkie toe in order to fit your favorite shoe? Can you get a bigger shoe size or a better shoe?

slloyd414 April 29 2014 at 6:17 AM

Never. I opt for comfort over design every time.

beautifuldejav April 29 2014 at 6:13 AM

That seems painful. .

wboozer@mail.com April 29 2014 at 6:12 AM

I have always found it to be amazing that women allow a few effete misogynistic self-anointed “designers” to dictate to them what they should wear in order to be fashionable. They suffer shoes that are orthopedically unfit to support their weight and do not provide comfortable walking. It truly is a wonder that they don’t cripple themselves for life wearing some of these things. Finally one of the arbiters of fashion has caused them instead of choosing shoes that are comfortable, to modify their bodies to fit the fashion. Have some women lost their minds?