NY sanitation worker rescues American flags from the trash

NY Garbage Man Rescues American Flags From The Trash

One remarkably patriotic sanitation worker in New York is going above and beyond the call of duty to preserve the honor of Old Glory.

According to WLNY, 53-year-old Ed Shevlin has been collecting the American flags he finds thrown away in the trash, rescuing them from the dump in order to give them a proper disposal later.

So far WCBS reports Shevlin has collected over 700 flags, many of which were destroyed during Superstorm Sandy. Shevlin told New York Daily News he wants the flags to have a more dignified send-off than the back of a garbage truck.

"I view them as an entity that has served the country. ... Let's give it the honor that should be accorded to it."

And Shevlin's got the law on his side. Title 4 of the U.S. Code requires a dilapidated flag to "be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

Newsday reports Shevlin's flags were destroyed Saturday in a formal ceremony at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. Shevlin received a special commendation at the ceremony.

m1falcon1 April 28 2014 at 5:43 AM

Thats awesome! I've saved several flags that I have pulled out of dumpsters.

hey April 28 2014 at 8:43 AM

i wish they would have a flag burning day in every city, where you could take your worn out flags to be burned with respect, i have burned my old flags in the grill only because i cant just throw them away and don't know where to take them

Eva or Sonny! April 28 2014 at 9:05 AM

The VFW in our area has an old US mailbox painted red, white, and blue out front. Drop your flags in it and they'll do a respectful disposal.

prodriverlimoman April 28 2014 at 9:23 AM

AS a Navy vet( 65=69) I fly my flag and MIA flag 24/7 it is lighted as required when flown at night and taken down in bad weather. A flag should be raised quickly and lowered slowly and NEVER touch the ground. When the flag has to be replaced I purchase ONLY an Americam made one and the old one is burned. It is a shame that not all American flags flown on gov't bulidings are NOT MADE in the US ant they justify this saying it is for good trade relations with forerigen manufactures.

Sammy April 28 2014 at 9:32 AM

I appauld you SIR.

motogo3 April 28 2014 at 9:34 AM

Good for him!

Cheryl April 28 2014 at 9:48 AM

Over 40 years ago, I was taught the proper way to handle a flag. in Girl Scouts. My father-in-law was a member of the local VFW and as an adult when he would bring me, the VFW guys and gals told me if ever a tattered flag or flag needed to be retired bring it to them and they would properly destroy it. If you have ever been to a funeral of someone who served and the family members are handed that folded flag, I don't think some of these jerk comments would be on this feed. Thank you to all who served and are serving!

richsglobal Cheryl April 28 2014 at 9:55 AM

Thank You For YOUR Service!

masons472 April 28 2014 at 9:48 AM

our boy scout troop collects worn u s flags and have burned them in a very appropriate ceremony throughout the years. We also flag the veterans gravesites on memorial day to recognize our u s veterans who are now fallen but served our country.

mnguppy April 28 2014 at 9:56 AM

July 4th everybody becomes a RED BLOODED American day off from work and party it up. July 5th toss the flag in the trash.It makes me sick

Tom April 28 2014 at 10:02 AM

I just colected 0ver 200 flags from the American Legion. My Boy Scouts do a respectfull Flag Disposal with a cereomony and burning. The remains are then barried.

bigg1957 Tom April 28 2014 at 10:13 AM

"Barried" ? Really? Try "buried" next time. I feel sorry for "your" boy scouts.

World Series