Waitress gets entire college tuition as tip

Waitress Gets Entire College Tuition As Tip
One former Pennsylvania waitress received the tip of her life after she befriended a customer who ended up taking care of her entire college tuition.

Big time philanthropist Benjamin Olewine III met Melissa Mainier in 2010 at the Peach Tree Restaurant where she waited tables.

Yahoo reports that it was there he found out she was working her way through school.

WHTM:

"You get to know them,you get to know their background, you get to know their problems. I just needed to help her."

92-year-old Olewine did more than help. What started off as a bill for $3.45 became a gift of more than $30,000 for Mainier to fulfill her dream of becoming a nurse. It couldn't have been better timing.

"While I was in school, after he started paying for me my dad passed away. I just keep thinking of him right now that he'd be so shocked and so happy for me."

Mainier is now working at the Joint Institute at Pinnacle Health's General Osteopathic Hospital and as KVVU points out is working in the Benjamin Olewine wing.

Mainier wants to get her masters next, and Olewine has agreed to pay for that as well.

viper95614 April 28 2014 at 11:42 AM

That gentlemen will be paid many times over someday ! Thank you sir!

Steve Schiffman viper95614 April 28 2014 at 11:48 AM

At 92?

patim39 April 28 2014 at 1:57 AM

What an amazing gift, Mr. Olewine you are a wonderful human being! To the other commentator, I am not a huge fan of President Obama at the moment but what in HELL does The President giving or not giving a gift such as this have anything to do with this amazing man's gift! You cheapened this story, shame on you! Ms. Mainier I as sorry for the loss of your father but I know you will appreciate this gift and pay it forward by being a carding compassionate nurse! Best of luck.....

maskbear60 April 28 2014 at 2:00 AM

I agree, Mr. Olewine is one of those special people in this world that knows how to give of himself and knows what money is really all about.

Bright Blessings April 28 2014 at 2:12 AM

Dedicating herself to the sevice of others (both as waitress and nurse), along with her own personal struggles speaks well for this young woman. One can see through Mr. Olewins eyes the value of helping someone who helps others.

Sawyer April 28 2014 at 2:27 AM

Ben Olewine worked at his father's grocery store as a young boy. Later, he took over the business and expanded it into food services. Subsequently, it became part of Sysco Food Services. For FYE 2013, Sysco had sales of $44 billion.

devoraone April 28 2014 at 10:11 AM

GOD BLESS THAT MAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

charlie.jh April 28 2014 at 9:57 AM

I read this story a few days ago and she turned him down 2 times before she would accept it. I think it is great of him to do that for her. She might be the like the daughter he never had. I am very sure she and Mr Olewine will be friends until his time is up and she will be at his side.

Veritas987 April 28 2014 at 2:42 AM

Mr. Olewine III is allowed to give a one time tax free gift to whomever he choses to under the Uniform Gift To Minors Act. I don't know how old Ms. Mainier is or what year of nursing school she is in but she just might qualify.

Joy April 28 2014 at 3:53 AM

This warmes my heart. There are people out there who cares about others. This is a good man.

Joy April 28 2014 at 3:55 AM

This proves my point, there are good people in this world