Baby crawling across busy street rescued by motorist

Baby Crawling Across Busy Street Rescued By Motorist

Drivers were shocked when a baby boy was found crawling across a busy four-lane street in Brigham City, Utah, after the mother put him in his crib before taking a rest.

Lt. Dennis Vincent of the Brigham City Police Department explains to KSL-TV how the baby got out:

"The baby was in the crib and the younger sibling got the baby out of the crib and took the baby outside to play, and the baby somehow wandered out of the backyard."

According to the Standard Examiner, a driver spotted the baby boy around 5:45 p.m., called the police after rescuing him from the busy street and returned him to his mother.

It's not everyday you see a baby crawling across the road, so it only makes sense that some drivers couldn't believe their eyes.

According to KUTV "Police say the driver first thought it was a plastic bag on the road, but as soon as she realized it was a baby, she stopped the car and grabbed the 1-year-old boy."

KUTV adds police have contacted the Division of Child and Family Services, but they do not plan to cite the mother.

corey39184 April 27 2014 at 4:43 PM

Years ago, wrote a big story for Woman's World...on drowning children (pools)... It can happen in 1 minute. Mom/Dad looks away, goes to bathroom, on the phone...toddler crawls/walks outdoors and in an instant is a victim of drowning--whether the live or die (loses oxygen, brain dead). Child-proof precautions with locks, gates, etc., are a must-have. Ditto with fur kids!

hangten1955 corey39184 April 27 2014 at 5:04 PM

What are "fur kids?"

irishroyal317 April 27 2014 at 5:53 PM

Thank God she was there! Babies are unbelievably resourceful. They never fail to amaze with what they're capable of.

prosymom irishroyal317 April 27 2014 at 8:20 PM

When my daughter was a toddler she sleepwalked and we were not aware of it until the night we heard her baby sister laughing and giggling in the middle of the night. We went to see what was going on and found her sister playing on the floor of her room. We put her back to bed. A couple nights later, we heard the front door slam and went to see what was going on. Our toddler daughter was riding up and down the street on a tricycle. We realized this was a dangerous problem and put a slide lock on the front door at the very top so she could not open it. She never went outside in the middle of the night again. By the way, she was fairly safe outside even at night as we lived on a military base in their housing.

Faerena prosymom April 27 2014 at 10:03 PM

YOU SEE PEOPLE-----------------------------IT CAN BE DONE-----------------------WITH GOOD PARENTING-----

Flag +1 rate up
Janet April 27 2014 at 5:50 PM

when my son was a little over a yr he went out the front door I was sound asleep, my neighbor found him on his little scooter how he managed to get ot outside I will never know. He was having fun going up and down the sidewalk! After that I put more locks on the door!!!

fourjwinds April 27 2014 at 5:39 PM

Thank God she drives with her eyes on the road, watching for potential problems. S

Ann fourjwinds April 27 2014 at 10:02 PM

Imagine if she was on cell phone?

Hi Ruthie April 27 2014 at 6:08 PM

If the mother wanted to nap along with her small children, she needs to put a good lock that is high enough on all doors, so the children cannot reach it and get out .

prosymom Hi Ruthie April 27 2014 at 8:11 PM

Windows too!

Faerena prosymom April 27 2014 at 10:01 PM

GOOD POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flag +1 rate up
mhagerinteriors April 27 2014 at 10:16 PM

Every Mother should have what I had. Elka, a German Shepherd. We lived in the country and our front yard was mowed along with the areas beside our house. Elka would not let my daughter out of the square front yard even though the grass didn't look different than areas beside it. As the baby walked she would put her body between the daughter and exiting the yard and sort of nudge her back in the right direction. My daughter is 40 now and I'm still amazed by that dog.

jayjaycoop April 27 2014 at 9:43 PM

I think that all cribs should be equiped with fool-proof-lock, so any other child cannot release the latches. Also, I would caution the parents to do whatever it takes to provide a fenced-in yard, so even the two year old can't get any gates open. I congradulate the motorists, who stopped, and picked up the baby. You have continued my good thoughts amoung motorists.

Loan Family jayjaycoop April 28 2014 at 7:53 AM

I have a grandson who when he was a baby he just crawled out of the crib no latch lowered.

condor687 April 27 2014 at 3:20 PM

What a nightmare for the Mother - children do strange things... like any Mom, I put dangerous things up very high - it was toxic sink cleaner for the kitchen sink , Along with no way to get up onto the sink, I put the can at the topmost shelf... to my horror, my 18 month old baby had climbed - to this day - don't know how... she had not pushed a chair over - and must have made her way to the dining room - only gone a few minutes - she was playing with what looked like sand - saw the can, picked her up - instinctively ran cold water over those little hands while I called a hospital - they told me that was what I should do.. Whew ! I still get the shivers 40 years later !

shulmjs April 27 2014 at 10:12 PM

NEVER UNDER-ESTIMATE A CHILD.............. NEVER........ THEY CAN BE HANGING ON YOUR JEANS AND STILL FIND THEMSELVES IN TROUBLE.......... CHOCK ON THEIR SHOE LACE. BUT STILL HOLDING ON TO THEM........ FIND A ROCK AND TRY TO EAT IT............

GLAD THE KID IS O.K. THAT IS A BOY CHLD IF EVER I SEEN THEM... BOYS.... !!

littlebush1 April 27 2014 at 5:32 PM

My son was 9 months old back in 1963, I found him out in our yard at 5 A M and could not figure out how he got out of his crib, till the next day when I put him down for a nap, He would rap his toes around the slats and pull his self up and over and do the same thing time and time again, so I finally put baby oil on the slats every night, boy was he mad, but he was safe.

Faerena littlebush1 April 27 2014 at 7:43 PM

GOOD FOR YOU. YA SEE, PEOPLE, IT'S A CHILD---------------VERY EASY TO FIGURE OUT AND INTIMIDATE FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JUST COMMON SENSE AND GOOD OL MOMS' INTUITION--------------------------