LeBron James: `No room for Donald Sterling in NBA'

NBA's Reaction To Donald Sterling News

By STEVE REED
AP Sports Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- LeBron James called comments on an audio recording of a man identified as Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling "appalling" and said he's not sure if he would suit up for the remainder of the NBA playoffs if he played for the Clippers.

"There's no room for Donald Sterling in the NBA - there is no room for him," the Heat forward said Saturday night before a playoff game against the Charlotte Bobcats.

The league said Saturday it was investigating the recording posted on TMZ's website, calling the comments "disturbing and offensive."

James said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver should take swift action if the comments are found to be made by Sterling.

"Obviously, if the reports are true it's unacceptable in our league," James said. "It doesn't matter, white, black or Hispanic - all across the races it's unacceptable. As the commissioner of our league they have to make a stand. They have to be very aggressive with it. I don't know what it will be, but we can't have that in our league.

"We're the model citizen of all sports around the world because we are the most recognizable figures. ... It's very disrespectful and it's appalling."

One of James' best friends, Chris Paul, plays for the Clippers.

James said he hasn't spoken with Paul, but "I can only imagine what is going through his head."

"I have kind of wavered back and forth if I would actually sit out," James said. "If our owner would come out and say the things he said I would have to sit down with my teammates and talk to my family because at the end of the day, our family and teammates are way more important than that,. Basketball is huge and the playoffs have been unbelievable so far and I hate that something has to come out."

In the recording, the man on the recorder questions his girlfriend's association with minorities.

James said he's not angry about the comments, just disappointed.

"I can only imagine if a player came out and said something of that stature what would happen to us as players," James said. "I believe in Adam (Silver) and I believe in the NBA and they have to do something very fast before this really gets out of hand. But like I said there is no room for Donald Sterling in our league."

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

knorman1969 April 27 2014 at 12:53 PM

People are saying that this person shouldn't weigh in on this incident or speak out but if you have a pulpit then you have to speak out about something like this we know that racial issues are alive and well in the United States and anyone who doesn't think so it crazy. I would hope that any player that want out of his contract they would grant that request.

lyleva April 27 2014 at 10:32 AM

A sad mess...

dmaley1714 April 27 2014 at 12:28 PM

Typical Democrat Donald Sterling has low regard for minorities

David S. dmaley1714 April 27 2014 at 12:39 PM

So you know the old man's political preference? Hilarious....

james_fowler34 April 27 2014 at 2:40 PM

Donald Sterling needs to be fired and be off the NBA premises period. He has no room to say what he said. He is just down right disgusting. NBA has been a great game for all players for a long time. Donald, if I were you, I would be watching my back.

nad22551 james_fowler34 April 27 2014 at 2:57 PM

who's going to fire him>-he's the OWNER!

jimsmokaroma7 April 27 2014 at 6:27 AM

I havn't heard what was said, but I agree with Labron James my favorite player in sports 100%
if, it is true. Some people are Brain Dead & do not even relize it. etc.

mag7898 April 27 2014 at 12:26 PM

When this subject comes up it reminds us as a people how far we have to go. When hate like this raises it's ugly head it cause's divisions . IT is what we do after these statements are made. Do we take sides , Do we find what the reason's are for the statements. Until we can hold ourselves acountable to how we react there is always going to be problems. While we are damning the statements it allows this problem to grow and for people to take sides. I see that sometimes we are willing to make more out of these events than they deserve. The more that is made out of this problem the bigger it gets. Either do something about it or find a way to bring us together as a community rather than to drive us further apart!

dtkr1 April 27 2014 at 9:20 AM

So his girlfriend is half black and he's a racist? How exactly does that work?

depalmanson dtkr1 April 27 2014 at 9:24 AM

how come the media claims she is half black?...yet they claim Tiger and Big O are black...go figure.....

jnrentz depalmanson April 27 2014 at 9:57 AM

The word Mulatto applies. Mulatto is a perfectly acceptable and good word.

Flag 0 rate up
johnnysul64 April 27 2014 at 12:22 PM

Steven A. and his partner Bayless will cry about this for a hour on tomorrow's "First take" show.

They are ringers for George Jefferson and Liberace. No doubt Bayless has a fondness for large tootsie rolls.

rhill65 April 27 2014 at 5:48 AM

Let's see. You have an 80 year old rich white guy who owns a NBA team who is dating a mixed 20 something, yet doesn't want her to bring blacks to his games. Funny, he evidently has no problem with either making money off the backs on his team or using this chick as a trophy.
The fact remains that he never should have hooked up with ANY 20 SOMETHING, but maybe he graduated from " The Ray Charles/Helen Keller School of Dating.

mtrazzeli rhill65 April 27 2014 at 6:51 AM

young clean sex toy or wore out wrinkled gaping hatchet wound.not much of a choice is it.especially when you're a multi millionaire.

cutiepie April 27 2014 at 9:21 AM