LeBron James: `No room for Donald Sterling in NBA'

NBA's Reaction To Donald Sterling News

By STEVE REED
AP Sports Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- LeBron James called comments on an audio recording of a man identified as Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling "appalling" and said he's not sure if he would suit up for the remainder of the NBA playoffs if he played for the Clippers.

"There's no room for Donald Sterling in the NBA - there is no room for him," the Heat forward said Saturday night before a playoff game against the Charlotte Bobcats.

The league said Saturday it was investigating the recording posted on TMZ's website, calling the comments "disturbing and offensive."

James said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver should take swift action if the comments are found to be made by Sterling.

"Obviously, if the reports are true it's unacceptable in our league," James said. "It doesn't matter, white, black or Hispanic - all across the races it's unacceptable. As the commissioner of our league they have to make a stand. They have to be very aggressive with it. I don't know what it will be, but we can't have that in our league.

"We're the model citizen of all sports around the world because we are the most recognizable figures. ... It's very disrespectful and it's appalling."

One of James' best friends, Chris Paul, plays for the Clippers.

James said he hasn't spoken with Paul, but "I can only imagine what is going through his head."

"I have kind of wavered back and forth if I would actually sit out," James said. "If our owner would come out and say the things he said I would have to sit down with my teammates and talk to my family because at the end of the day, our family and teammates are way more important than that,. Basketball is huge and the playoffs have been unbelievable so far and I hate that something has to come out."

In the recording, the man on the recorder questions his girlfriend's association with minorities.

James said he's not angry about the comments, just disappointed.

"I can only imagine if a player came out and said something of that stature what would happen to us as players," James said. "I believe in Adam (Silver) and I believe in the NBA and they have to do something very fast before this really gets out of hand. But like I said there is no room for Donald Sterling in our league."

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

miyorkms April 27 2014 at 9:30 AM

No matter this is still the Greats Country on earth get overt, God Bless America. Look up Obama Pastor maybe he can understand Donald Sterling BS and his own.

wboozer@mail.com April 27 2014 at 8:25 AM

I sometimes wonder whether those who blabber about Constitutional Amendments have bothered to read them? The First Amendment specifically states:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech..."

Those who object to the blather of this idiot are not in the Congress, but are free citizens expressing their right to be critical of a BIGOT! THAT IS FREE SPEECH THAT IS PROTECTED BY THE AMENDMENT!

lyleva April 27 2014 at 10:32 AM

A sad mess...

Paula Revere April 27 2014 at 10:38 AM

free speech............yes he should have the right to say what he feels........and the rest of us have the right to say he's a racist P.O.S. free speech go's both ways..........if you have the balls to say it, you better have the balls to take the backlash.

riverhosed April 27 2014 at 10:40 AM

Yah, make him sell the team. He'll probably make 100 million. I'd like to get punished like that a couple of times.

nagshead6 April 27 2014 at 11:04 AM

We need more whites in NBA!

cekmt123 nagshead6 April 27 2014 at 11:21 AM

They can't jump. Did you see the movie?

ABS April 27 2014 at 11:06 AM

LaBron

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We still have freedom of speech in this country just in case you haven't read the constitution.

Ken April 27 2014 at 11:07 AM

What he said is wrong. But where is the same level of outrage when a NBA player beats his wife or girlfirend? Or has 5 kids with 5 different women. What no outrage?

rmountsinai April 27 2014 at 9:53 AM

Maybe Donald Sterling thought it was ok to say what he said because there seems to be no outrage that the Brooklyn Nets owner, Jay-Z sports medallion for group that teaches ‘white people are devils’.

james_fowler34 April 27 2014 at 2:40 PM

Donald Sterling needs to be fired and be off the NBA premises period. He has no room to say what he said. He is just down right disgusting. NBA has been a great game for all players for a long time. Donald, if I were you, I would be watching my back.

nad22551 james_fowler34 April 27 2014 at 2:57 PM

who's going to fire him>-he's the OWNER!