LeBron James: `No room for Donald Sterling in NBA'

NBA's Reaction To Donald Sterling News

By STEVE REED
AP Sports Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- LeBron James called comments on an audio recording of a man identified as Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling "appalling" and said he's not sure if he would suit up for the remainder of the NBA playoffs if he played for the Clippers.

"There's no room for Donald Sterling in the NBA - there is no room for him," the Heat forward said Saturday night before a playoff game against the Charlotte Bobcats.

The league said Saturday it was investigating the recording posted on TMZ's website, calling the comments "disturbing and offensive."

James said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver should take swift action if the comments are found to be made by Sterling.

"Obviously, if the reports are true it's unacceptable in our league," James said. "It doesn't matter, white, black or Hispanic - all across the races it's unacceptable. As the commissioner of our league they have to make a stand. They have to be very aggressive with it. I don't know what it will be, but we can't have that in our league.

"We're the model citizen of all sports around the world because we are the most recognizable figures. ... It's very disrespectful and it's appalling."

One of James' best friends, Chris Paul, plays for the Clippers.

James said he hasn't spoken with Paul, but "I can only imagine what is going through his head."

"I have kind of wavered back and forth if I would actually sit out," James said. "If our owner would come out and say the things he said I would have to sit down with my teammates and talk to my family because at the end of the day, our family and teammates are way more important than that,. Basketball is huge and the playoffs have been unbelievable so far and I hate that something has to come out."

In the recording, the man on the recorder questions his girlfriend's association with minorities.

James said he's not angry about the comments, just disappointed.

"I can only imagine if a player came out and said something of that stature what would happen to us as players," James said. "I believe in Adam (Silver) and I believe in the NBA and they have to do something very fast before this really gets out of hand. But like I said there is no room for Donald Sterling in our league."

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

bemr1954 April 27 2014 at 4:00 PM

Very fitting and healthy to have NBA Players, current & past, weigh in on Sterling's dispicable comments. Did however read that Jesse Jackson has also offered his thoughts....would someone plase LOCK Jackson & Sterling in a room and throw away the key....Thank You!

Carlise bemr1954 April 27 2014 at 4:25 PM

agreed

orion15stars Carlise April 27 2014 at 4:42 PM

Bothers racists so much when those against whom they direct their racism stand up for their equal constitutional rights. The primary problem with racists is they falsely deny their bigoted racist attitudes shown off so proudly when they utter. Until they are called on all that hateful bigoted racism they spew non-stop.

Flag +3 rate up
larry April 27 2014 at 7:15 AM

Am I missing something the tape I heard was about Johnson ? I know white people I don't want to be in my home and Even if he does not like black people there was no hate stated . It sounded to me like the girl was pushing to get this result to use against him.

kelly1973m larry April 27 2014 at 7:29 AM

Larry...you are probably right...she knew he was a racist....she was done ******* him dry of money....and was out to set a trap for him. Which he gladly walked into...now we all know he is a racist....!

David S. larry April 27 2014 at 7:33 AM

Probably she was --- but then when you are kicking it with a woman young enough to be your granddaughter, what do you expect? Sterling is just another pathetic old rich guy thinking younger women will make him immortal.

pogomil April 27 2014 at 9:36 AM

If this fellow had been quoted using the word Palestinians, then the Powers That Be would be giving him high fives..

thundt1775 pogomil April 27 2014 at 11:13 AM

Too true.

dmaley1714 April 27 2014 at 12:28 PM

Typical Democrat Donald Sterling has low regard for minorities

David S. dmaley1714 April 27 2014 at 12:39 PM

So you know the old man's political preference? Hilarious....

sparrca April 27 2014 at 9:37 AM

The whole situation is weird. His girlfriend is African American/Hispanic, in which there seems to be a lot of photos of them together.
I think it is more a case of a jealous boyfriend, trying to control what men his girlfriend is hanging out with, and she is throwing the "racist card" at him, since most of men are African American. A lovers quarrel, in which stupid things are said. My question is how was the conversation recorded so clearly and for what purpose? Something is just not right...........

grsafe April 27 2014 at 9:38 AM

Sterling said racist comments to his girlfriend? Come on ,I saw those photos, that has to be his granddaughter , not his girlfriend. LOL

leearlenewiljr April 27 2014 at 9:39 AM

Am I the only one to feels this is a "he said, she said". In addition to being a totally illegal item, its very existence is a felon in California.

Everyone picking up a stone is completely guilty of the same exact thing, except in the opposide vain and lucky not recorded.

That said D. Stirling is typical of the owners of teams, all teams. His is typical.

That said pressure to sell a two-bit team he picket up in 1984 is quite timely, to say the least.

Is is "racism" or just business.

Sports is business, a silly meaningless business, but it means millions if not billion to those involved.

That's the bottom line.

Now toss your stone.

Paula Revere April 27 2014 at 10:38 AM

free speech............yes he should have the right to say what he feels........and the rest of us have the right to say he's a racist P.O.S. free speech go's both ways..........if you have the balls to say it, you better have the balls to take the backlash.

leftydap52 April 27 2014 at 9:44 AM

REGARDLESS OF WHAT ANYONE SAYS HERE about whites being racist and blacks being racists. the fact is that RACISM EXISTS in all cultures and races. No one culture is exempt from harboring racists and no color has exclusivity on having all the racists....or none of them

We all need to check our moral compasses every now and then, myself included. RACISM IS NOT THE DOMAIN ON JUST ONE CULTURE. Racism abounds in every color here on earth.

But this goes way beyond being a racist. It has to do with your upbringing, It has to do with self-esteem and it has to do with doing the right thing for and by your fellow man. Sadly people who are racists are the weak ones who refuse to join a respectable society even in light of their own deficiencies. You can be the most successful professional in your career...the best parent...yet the moment you open your mouth and spew out racist remarks....YOU INSTANTLY LOSE ALL CREDIBILITY with respectable members of society. And notice that I said "respectable members" and not those are undesirables. SAD TO THINK AS A SOCIETY, where we all have freedom of choice, that most people, if not all, have failed to live up to our potential. We continue to accept choices in our lives that serve to dumb us down. We need to take a long hard look into ourselves and be honest and frank with what we see. Its only up to us to correct our own ills and move towards a moving loving society

☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻

jimsmokaroma7 April 27 2014 at 6:27 AM

I havn't heard what was said, but I agree with Labron James my favorite player in sports 100%
if, it is true. Some people are Brain Dead & do not even relize it. etc.