Woman booted from gym for baby bump

Pregnant Woman Says Her Belly Got Her Kicked Out Of Gym
A woman was kicked out of a South Carolina gym for wearing a belly-skimming tank top. Here's the kicker: She's 18 weeks pregnant.

Melissa Mantor says an employee at Planet Fitness gym approached her after she'd been on a treadmill for about 10 minutes and told her she needed to change.

She says this was the first day she went to the gym when her baby bump was actually showing.

But Planet Fitness' draw is a non-intimidating atmosphere where people at any level of fitness can go and not feel judged. That comes with a dress code.

The gym's corporate dress code does not mention shirts showing midriffs, but WCIV obtained a statement from Planet Fitness public relations saying this particular location has a policy against bare midriffs. Each franchised gym is allowed to enforce its own dress code.

KFOX reports still, that no-judgement policy backfired when it came to Mantor. She says she has never felt more judged or embarrassed about her body before.

Mantor cancelled her membership the next day and hasn't re-upped, despite Planet Fitness managers calling her with offers of free memberships.

paradiseproperties April 26 2014 at 3:49 PM

Oh my god the woman reading this story makes me want tear off my ears. You know you don't have to have someone read the story out right? It's written right there... and we can all read. Plus you wouldn't have to spend money on having countless awkward presenters read out 2 minute long stories. I'm sure that money could be put to better use.

Plus I'm sure I'm not the only one who groans and instantly looks for the mute button every time a video starts when I click on a link?

Just a thought.

Monica paradiseproperties April 26 2014 at 4:00 PM

I would give you a thousand thumbs up if I could about the stupid videos. I abhor them.

steelersfan1270 April 26 2014 at 2:45 PM

I too belong to that gym and there IS a dress code! You know that when you join!

captdj123 April 26 2014 at 7:37 AM

take the free membership and enjoy it

CHUCK April 26 2014 at 2:45 PM

Come on! enough of this "Baby Bump". She is pregnant for crying out loud. One of the most over used expressions.

Charlene CHUCK April 26 2014 at 2:56 PM

So what do they call the 'bump' after the baby is born? Does the Mom have to wait till she gets rid of that too? Sounds like the 'clic's' in my H.S. This year, the H.S. Reunion is at a golf club. Obviously they are trying to narrow it down to their 'little group'.

KAY April 26 2014 at 1:40 PM

I have read over a dozen comments on here other women saying that it bothers them to see other woman's stomachs, even toned. Why would a woman be offended or bothered by seeing another woman's stomach? If I see other women that have a Great bod I am like more power to you! You Look Fabulous! :) Why is it so personal and private? I personally cover up at the gym, but to these women I guess you all must stay off the beach and many places on the street as well where Beautiful women turn into a huge insecurity and it becomes all about you. How Sad.

kvave KAY April 26 2014 at 1:46 PM

Jealousy or Religious views Period

guymed03 April 26 2014 at 7:44 AM

News? A whole segment of video and 1/2 second of it was a glimpse of the issue. And the issue is a business disagreement. Wonder how this got on here in the first place...

renshijak April 28 2014 at 6:55 PM

Wah,wah, wah! Rules are rules, next thing people will be coming in wilth big fat guts showing or 8 months pregnant So she quit and runs to the press...... sick

Steve April 26 2014 at 1:29 PM

Planet....dumbness! Sounds like maybe one ignorant employee who took it too far. They should have just told her about the dress code and asked that the next time she came in to wear something different, not told her she needed to leave right then.

moeelmore Steve April 26 2014 at 1:33 PM

Well tact may have been lacking, but when you sign up you agree to their dress code. It included no jeans, no hats other than baseball caps, and no open toed footwear or boots. I never saw anyone sent out for having a large belly, so she can just get a larger shirt that covers the area. No big thing, and not really news.

Glocks Mom April 26 2014 at 1:25 PM

Easy solution ahead, post a ginormous sign that reads, "If You Feel You Are One Of The Beautiful People, Please Use This Room As We Don't Want To Offend Anyone".... What do you think, will it fly?

cbcmkting Glocks Mom April 26 2014 at 1:32 PM

How about, Planet Fatness only for the ugly, ignorant self conscience, low self esteemed.

Intelligent, healthy, attractive, hard working , belly showing - GRUNTING - NOT ALLOWED!!!

Where is the ACLU when you really need them?? OH Wait they are all members!!

Grama Fluff Fluf April 26 2014 at 1:25 PM

My "planet fitness" is taking the grandkids to a jungle gym and chasing them around thru it. What a good work out.