Unpublished Andy Warhol works found on 30-year-old floppy discs

Unpublished Andy Warhol Works Found On Floppy Disks

Pop art icon Andy Warhol, known for his colorful Campbell's Soup cans, was one of the first artists to experiment with art on computers. And now a team of computer scientists has learned Warhol's P.C. period is larger than previously thought.

The Andy Warhol Museum announced Thursday the team has discovered more than a dozen unpublished experimental pieces on several 30-year-old floppy disks.

The disks worked on the Commodore Amiga 1000, a computer released around 1985. It was popular in Europe and known at the time for its advanced graphic technologies.

So advanced, in fact, that Commodore commissioned Warhol to use its machines for his creations, and in 1985, let him demo the Amiga before its debut. Here's YouTube:

HAGER: "You've found it to be very spontaneous, haven't you?"

WARHOL: "Yeah, it's great, it's such a great thing."

And it's all thanks to this YouTube video that Warhol's new works were brought to light. As the story goes, artist Cory Arcangel saw the video in 2011 and asked the museum to check the disks.

Without the technology to read the obsolete files, the museum waited until this year when it got the help of the Carnegie Mellon University Computer Club.

So what does the new art look like? Well, it's no surprise there's a soup can involved, but researchers also discovered a three-eyed rendition of Sandro Botticelli's "The Birth of Venus." According to The Andy Warhol Museum, Warhol embraced the Amiga as an art tool, writing: "Warhol saw no limits to his art practice. These computer-generated images underscore his spirit of experimentation and his willingness to embrace new media."

And Ben Richmond at Motherboard agrees. "Warhol of course always seemed like he'd be a natural for digital art: it's endlessly reproducible, it's new and experimental, and one can imagine his wry take on the 'everyone's face is everywhere' ubiquity that computers facilitate."

And as Arcangel says, "We can see how quickly Warhol seemed to intuit the essence of what it meant to express oneself, in what then was a brand-new medium."

An exhibition based on the discovered art will premiere in Pittsburgh May 10.

ihuber1 April 25 2014 at 6:50 PM

Cut the video and just show up the art. Such bull!

JimmyB April 25 2014 at 12:12 PM

The Amiga was a fantastic computer for art of all kinds. Its superior video capabilities resulted in them being used at TV stations for years. If it weren't for stupid decisions by the CEO of Commodore, Amiga would have been a seriously creative format today. I still have three of them in my tech collection.

Steve Schiffman JimmyB April 25 2014 at 12:38 PM

Be honest, the Commodore was more a toy, especially the 64; and used cassette drives and not the 3.5 inch floppy as shown in the photo. In fact, as I posted, above, I believe it used a cassette tape.

mikekim101 Steve Schiffman April 25 2014 at 1:24 PM

The Amiga 500 / 1000 series used the hard shell 3.5 inch floppy. It was designed much like a laptop but with an analog monitor, and yes I had one in 1990 with a 1 megabyte capablity.

Flag 0 rate up
Bill Jochimsen April 25 2014 at 7:16 PM

PLEASE DISCONTINUE "NEWSEY". JUST SHOW US THE PICTURES AND LET US DETERMINE THEIR VALUE AS ART. THESE COMMENTATORS ARE A WASTE OF TIME AND CONTRIBUTE NOTHING TO THE NEWS THEY INTEND TO PURPORT! ONCE I CLICK ON AOL. AND IT BEGINS WITH A COMMERCIAL I MOVE ON AND TRY ANOTHER STORY. WE ARE ALREADY PAYING AOL WHILE DO WE NEED TO HELP THEM RAISE MORE MONEY BY SELLING COMMERCIAL SPACE? STOP IT!!!!

rothhammer1 Bill Jochimsen April 25 2014 at 9:23 PM

Try clicking 'mute' or 'pause?'

splintercottage April 25 2014 at 12:47 PM

done for money like most of his material, art and money were the same thing. Go help anyone he owen money to.

JIM April 25 2014 at 7:25 PM

Since A.O.L. has been taken over by Huffington Post it really sucks. I think i'm reading a story and i'm reading a liberal opinion page.

zidzag1973 April 25 2014 at 11:11 AM

Garbage!

rsaillant1 zidzag1973 April 25 2014 at 11:22 AM

Ah, Mr. Impeccable taste, who happens to mispell his favorite rolling paper. Roll another and view Andy's works again.

Karen rsaillant1 April 25 2014 at 1:38 PM

Make sure to view the one he plagiarized from the published work of one of my friends back in the '60s. And not to be ironic but there are two Ss in "misspell."

Flag +2 rate up
majorg1000 zidzag1973 April 25 2014 at 11:27 AM

Clearly all of your taste is in your mouth.

sindfetish April 25 2014 at 1:35 PM

IMO...the most over rated "artist" ( I use the term loosely) ever.

lubalac sindfetish April 25 2014 at 2:18 PM

I agree
Painting soup cans......give me a break

annette.testa lubalac April 25 2014 at 2:59 PM

Seems to me that most "art" has to do with being in the right place at the right time rather than actual artistic ability. I'm not much of a critic of his form of art, but it seems emotionally shallow - I'm pretty sure that was the intent. Not sure I have time for that, life being short. He was good at promoting himself and undoubtedly an entertaining person to talk to. I think I'll go read a short bio. A short one.

Flag +1 rate up
murrayfuentes sindfetish April 25 2014 at 4:57 PM

I used to say the same thing until I saw much more of his work. He actually was talented, as well as polically caring.

megapv April 25 2014 at 3:21 PM

I wish I was that blessed with such talent

Richard April 25 2014 at 4:46 PM

Oh Boy

mstienlee April 25 2014 at 9:24 PM

Another Campbell's soup can and a 3-eyed Venus?!? Really?