KTLA's Chris Schauble meets biological mom for first time

News Anchor Meets Biological Mother for the First Time

Growing up as a the only African American child in an all white family, KTLA Morning News anchor Chris Schauble says his adoption was obvious, but so was the unconditional love of his family.

"My mom is a PhD. My dad, God rest his soul, was a master's degree holder," Schauble says. "They were well-educated people who valued life. In 1970 they decided to adopt, and I was that kid."

Still, at 44 years old, Schauble felt his biological mom and dad were still the missing piece of his personal puzzle.

"What I can remember is we would go to church. There was this beautifully spirited African-American grandmother and whenever we sat by her she treated me with such love. I remember thinking is that how when someone is your biological child, is that what that love feels like?"

It was Schauble's own children who inspired him to start looking for his biological family.

"I don't know my medical history," Schauble says. "I don't know what diseases I may be susceptible to based on their past heritage. So those are dots I think would be important to connect. Not only for me, but for my own children."

Schauble hired a private investigator in hopes of putting all of the pieces together, but finding out who he really is would not be easy. For the first three months of his life he lived in a children's group home in Florida, which as it turns out has some of the most restrictive privacy laws.

That's when Schauble turned to what is called an "adoption angel" who contacted the department of vital statistics. His birth mother was 38 years old and had traveled from a New England state to Florida to give birth to him. It was news he says he was not expecting.

Schauble faced another setback when his private investigator was able to find the lawyer who facilitated his adoption. The lawyer was still practicing, but had no records or recollection of the adoption.

This would not stop him from continuing his search. "I think that helping people is one of the best things about this because at the end of the day I may not find my birth mother or my birth father, but someone else might."

After months of searching and a roller coaster of emotions, Schauble's "adoption angel" told him he had been matched with his birth parents.

His first trip would be to rural Florida, where he met the family of his biological father who passed away in 1995.

Despite not being able to meet his biological father face-to-face, Schauble says he's found beauty in learning about his family history -- including the name of his birth mother, who is just a flight away in Texas.

"My life will never be the same," Schauble says, "and neither will hers."

Startling news at start of Chris' search:
Man Searching for Birth Mother Receives Startling News

Chris meets his biological family for the first time:
News Anchor Meets Biological Family for the First Time

sninermama April 25 2014 at 9:33 PM

OMG. How sweet. That is such a touching story. God Bless Them....

Nancy April 25 2014 at 7:41 PM

Another situation where judgments should be put aside. Man's inhumanity against man has far reaching affects. For the mother and the son, it is wonderful that they have had a chance to meet and fill in some of the gaps. As a Christian, I believe they will have eternity together. Just my opinion.

Becky J. April 25 2014 at 7:41 PM

Why can't we all love like this? It shouldn't matter the color of our skin. His Mom and Dad made this beautiful baby boy, and couldn't be together because their skin was of different color.. That's so wrong.. God wants us to love everybody.. God bless this Son and Mother. I'm so happy they are together after all these years..

Exercise TJ April 25 2014 at 7:40 PM

Wonderful story.

Becky J. April 25 2014 at 7:29 PM

Sweet gentle forgiving man.. I'm so happy for him..

Naturally safe Becky J. April 25 2014 at 8:04 PM

Huh? He's disgusting ingrate ..... and onlt doing this for the story line ..

the black woman ...for a few moments once a week ? not the adoption and the every day love make me breakfast lunch and dinner , drive me here there and everyehere , comfort me when I'm sick, yadda yadda from the people who were honored to be his parents ...

He wanted a black mom .... and he didn't even know till later on, he's not even 100% African American

we84599 Naturally safe April 25 2014 at 8:54 PM

Who hurt you?

Flag 0 rate up
Countrified April 25 2014 at 7:18 PM

I knew my birth mother but I haven't seen my father and all I have is his name and the state he moved to. I actually have angel adoption in my favs file to try to reconnect with a sibling ten years my junior who was also adopted. I've been dragging my feet on this wondering if I'd disrupt his life. He'd be 40 now and there only two other siblings left. This story motivates me to try...

Juanita Countrified April 25 2014 at 7:40 PM

Good luck! I

gsantonas April 25 2014 at 7:14 PM

I am so glad they were able to find each other and can fill in some holes. It is so sad that people were punished for falling in love because their skin color didn't match. What a ridiculous thing.

iluvfreespeech gsantonas April 25 2014 at 7:47 PM

how could you tell they were of a differet race? I didn't see it in the story or the vdeo?

Queen Darling April 25 2014 at 7:13 PM

My father's family are Schaubles from Hierbach, Germany, and we have always felt like Chris was part of our family too. In fact, after seeing his name on a news story once, I wrote and "introduced" us to him, saying " all Schaubles are pretty cool. Glad to have you aboard! " So, I am thrilled that he has name this new connection to his birth family. Rock on, Mr. Schauble! God Bless!

dreamweaver5580 April 25 2014 at 7:08 PM

What a beautiful story......

Isaiah's Dad April 25 2014 at 7:03 PM

I adopted my son as an infant. His mother is deceased and at 10 yrs old he at least knows that he "has" a Mom and that she lives in Heaven. It breaks my heart to know that he will not see his Mom, but at the same time, I know she watches over him as well. I tell him she is his "special" guardian angel.