First lady gets resume from girl with jobless dad

WASHINGTON (AP) - Michelle Obama's annual question-and-answer session with the children of Executive Office employees has taken a somber turn.

A young girl in the front row at Thursday's event told the first lady that her dad had been out of work for three years. Then the girl popped up to hand Mrs. Obama her dad's resume.

The first lady seemed taken aback. Then Mrs. Obama explained to the other children, who might not have heard the girl's comment, that it was a private matter but the girl was "doing something for her dad." Mrs. Obama promised to deal with the matter later.

When the event ended, Mrs. Obama gave the girl a hug and then reached back to grab the resume off a table as she left the East Room.

dbeanfield April 24 2014 at 6:35 PM

You all need to get your buts off that chair your sitting in and go out there and find some work.

lili dbeanfield April 24 2014 at 6:41 PM

How sad that you assume that people who post here do not have jobs. Quite unfortunate that you make that assumption.

Anita dbeanfield April 24 2014 at 6:45 PM

i already have a job and work hard for my money and right now i am enjoying my WELL EARNED free time so frag you and the horse you rode in on bub

Ted Williams April 24 2014 at 11:32 PM

cool

josie1010 April 24 2014 at 11:31 PM

Some of you people think it's easy to find a job? Are you f kidding me? I am looking for a job. On the few interviews I was able to get, I am told they received 300 resumes for one job. On my last interview, they were interviewing 30 people for one job. If you are one of the long-term unemployed and over the age of 45, your chances of getting hired are zero. Menial minimum wage jobs, does not pay and you cannot support a family on those wages. Do some research before you post stupid things that you know nothing about.

stephen284 josie1010 April 24 2014 at 11:50 PM

What exactly are your qualifications? Those that can be proven?

ja_petty josie1010 April 25 2014 at 10:40 PM

It is not that way in all places in the USA. Some areas are stealing workers from other employers or advertising for workers in other cities / states. If you want a job you have to look in those areas and be ready to move.

Prophetman April 24 2014 at 11:30 PM

praying for that Father and others who are need a of job!!!!!

davisdoren April 24 2014 at 7:30 PM

Everyone that are long term unempolyed let send our resume to all member of congress!

josie1010 davisdoren April 24 2014 at 8:02 PM

And they will land at the bottom of a dumpster.

Diane davisdoren April 24 2014 at 8:39 PM

Before you send your resume, have an English teacher proofread it for you.

waltr56 April 24 2014 at 9:28 PM

No very doubt, the man whose daughter handed the First Lady his resume, is in his 50s which is the ONLY reason WHY he's been unemployed for 3 years. It has finally come full circle right back into the hands of the President, only few realize this historic significance. Age Discrimination is rampant, unchecked, and accountable for by 1000s of companies who hide behind the EEO Statements of "regardless of age" as only their CYA measure. Why? Because there is no measurable accountability program in place where employers have to show cause and proof, as to why the 40+ to 50+ applicants were passed over. Often, and always, to a younger applicant with only half the business-impacting experience, if that at all! Tens of thousands remain unemployed, and never will be employed, in this age group: a major killer to a hoped-for economic turnaround - and no one, not even our own President, is addressing nor even acknowledging this fact by act, by speech by program. You want to change the economy? Hire the unemployed!

Bill April 24 2014 at 5:00 PM

I guess Michelle forgot to understand the importance of a "Take our Sons and Daughters to Work Day" when so many people are OUT of work, AND it's her husband's fault. Maybe she can find the girl's father a JOB. I do NOT want JOBS for my 4 kids. I would rather see them in a career. But you do NOT find Obama OR Michelle talking about careers. IF they did, it would jeopardize the plan they have to reduce the kind of work done in this country.

redsoxdugout April 24 2014 at 11:24 PM

JUMP...JUMP...JUMP

Amari April 24 2014 at 2:30 PM

This is so sad. I've been out of work since '07. I had a seasonal job 2 years ago for 2 1/2 months. I don't really think the economy is going to get better no matter who the president is. Even if you know someone with connections you can't get a job.

It is so much better to make your own money and not have to depend on relatives. My dad was one of my relatives who used to help me, then he got sick, could not help me anymore, and unfortunately passed away. When he was well, he helped his siblings as well. Do you think one of them are helping me now knowing my situation? NO!

Who knows if he left me and my brother something? His trifling wife would've found a way for us not to get it. My dad was very intelligent and would not forget to leave a will. His widow is manipulative, even when he was well and went into the hospital a few years ago for normal tests, she pulled some okadoke crap without consulting my dad.

I miss my dad and wish I had a good job so he'd be proud of me. My dad always had a job, even when he retired; he was in the military years before I was born. He and his second wife had good pensions. I just want my dad back, because he was my dad and I love him.

Mr. and Mrs. President please help me and people like me become employed. I am trying not to apply for public assistance, but I can't keep depending on the two family members that are still around to help me.

eiujb2 April 24 2014 at 7:22 PM

We all may never hear about this again as follow up is doubtful. But makes one wonder doesn't it ?
Lets all just hope that this matter turns out for the good. Enough bad happening out there as it is.