First lady gets resume from girl with jobless dad

WASHINGTON (AP) - Michelle Obama's annual question-and-answer session with the children of Executive Office employees has taken a somber turn.

A young girl in the front row at Thursday's event told the first lady that her dad had been out of work for three years. Then the girl popped up to hand Mrs. Obama her dad's resume.

The first lady seemed taken aback. Then Mrs. Obama explained to the other children, who might not have heard the girl's comment, that it was a private matter but the girl was "doing something for her dad." Mrs. Obama promised to deal with the matter later.

When the event ended, Mrs. Obama gave the girl a hug and then reached back to grab the resume off a table as she left the East Room.

walkerdenice April 24 2014 at 10:25 PM

That little girls dad was ingenious. He trumped his resume. Opportunities like that don't come often.

HI BEAUTIFUL April 24 2014 at 5:29 PM

Of course this was a photo opt, but does it really matter? The point is that her dad has been out of work for 3 yrs and I am guessing that it is not because he has not tried to find work. Most of you that make negative comments about finding work have not been laid off or had your job go to China where there are very few if any laws to protect employees or laws to stop air polution. Many people are compeating for too few jobs. What this administration needs to do is to lower tax rates on companies so they will want to bring back jobs. Can you believe that the new span on the Oakland Bay Bridge in California had many of the bridge parts imported from China when we here in this country have all the parts and knowhow to make them here. Now there are (and have been) problems with bolts from the new bridge that are rusting out and failing on a brand new bridge that took too long to build and cost the people in that areas at least hundreds of millions of dollars over budget, So visitors, cross that new span at your own risk. Bring back our jobs here in the USA with parts that are made here. Then our unemployment would greatly be reduced. And this little girl's dad may be able to find work. If we need to outsourse, then lets do it with the Congress and Senate for starters and vote in people that will actually work for the voters and not their own agenda. November is not very far away people. Do your homework and look up the records of people that you are interested in voting for and if they are in office, look up and see what they have done for your state in helping anything. If not, vote them out pronto.

chase2006a April 24 2014 at 5:47 PM

the american people would still have job's if all the people from other countries did not have there job handed to them at the cost of the american people.

obloodyblada chase2006a April 24 2014 at 5:52 PM

I don't know about that. I don't want to mow lawns or pick grapes.

Amari April 24 2014 at 2:30 PM

This is so sad. I've been out of work since '07. I had a seasonal job 2 years ago for 2 1/2 months. I don't really think the economy is going to get better no matter who the president is. Even if you know someone with connections you can't get a job.

It is so much better to make your own money and not have to depend on relatives. My dad was one of my relatives who used to help me, then he got sick, could not help me anymore, and unfortunately passed away. When he was well, he helped his siblings as well. Do you think one of them are helping me now knowing my situation? NO!

Who knows if he left me and my brother something? His trifling wife would've found a way for us not to get it. My dad was very intelligent and would not forget to leave a will. His widow is manipulative, even when he was well and went into the hospital a few years ago for normal tests, she pulled some okadoke crap without consulting my dad.

I miss my dad and wish I had a good job so he'd be proud of me. My dad always had a job, even when he retired; he was in the military years before I was born. He and his second wife had good pensions. I just want my dad back, because he was my dad and I love him.

Mr. and Mrs. President please help me and people like me become employed. I am trying not to apply for public assistance, but I can't keep depending on the two family members that are still around to help me.

lbrown3507 April 24 2014 at 6:21 PM

There is SO MUCH NEGATIVITY.

Jeni lbrown3507 April 24 2014 at 6:29 PM

Not just negativity, but hatred and stupidity--which is the REAL enemy that is destroying this country. I'm embarrassed at some of the ugly, a-hole, sexist comments that people dare to make about something so benign as Michele Obama's talk to school kids. People are just plain ugly. It's sad.

vjcinpalmbeach lbrown3507 April 24 2014 at 7:08 PM

You call it "negativity." Lucky you, obviously NOT a lawyer dealing with REAL horrendous truths.....

DCSCicchitano April 24 2014 at 7:55 PM

What the heck is a flotus??

laclone April 24 2014 at 6:53 PM

Although I'm sure the little girl had some help from her parents or others in doing this, it is no less a touching act. And a hard one to follow.

There are so many good people that are actually looking for work, but based solely on the strength of a paper resume, do not look like a good hire. As a vet,I have been there myself at times, as most employers don't recognize a military background as being a quality person.

I wish the girls father luck, and admire the approach. It was well thought-out.

jrb359 April 24 2014 at 6:09 PM

How about the other millions that are looking for work?

hsmith0304 April 24 2014 at 4:00 PM

When you don,t have another way out ,never forget your " Plan B "
Hey dad ,you should be extremely proud of your daughter !

Go For The Gold !!!
ImHoTep
Harold Clinon Smith

Dan hsmith0304 April 24 2014 at 4:16 PM

Right on - way better than the GOTP hate garbage spewing above. That little girl is brave and cool.

FLORANCE April 24 2014 at 5:12 PM

Get him a job, if U can. PLEASE.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal