Stowaway's father says son missed Africa

HONOLULU (AP) - The father of a teenager who survived a flight from California to Hawaii tucked in a jetliner's wheel well has told Voice of America his son missed Africa, where he used to live, and was struggling in school.

Voice of America reported Wednesday that Abdilahi Yusuf Abdi of Santa Clara, Calif., said his 15-year-old son was always talking about going back to Africa, where his grandparents live.

A school official says the boy came to the U.S. four years ago.

Law enforcement officials say the boy climbed into the wheel well before the plane took off for Maui on Sunday morning. Officials say video shows the boy jumping out of the plane after landing.

Abdi told VOA that Honolulu police notified him Sunday of his son's journey. The teen remains hospitalized in Honolulu.

Whad Up Girl! April 23 2014 at 9:44 PM

Sad

prettyorbie April 25 2014 at 10:27 AM

How did he not know his son was missing for that long? The boy needs to be punished. I don't care if he missed his homeland or not. He broke the law and needs to be punished. Obviously discipline is lacking in that home.

Roberta prettyorbie April 25 2014 at 1:05 PM

I'm am sure he will be .

joanne April 24 2014 at 4:37 PM

that makes me nervous if a kid can get on a plane and no one sees him what is that telling us

mcarr1220 April 24 2014 at 10:35 AM

Do you not think terrorist already know this, seriously!!! I am sure billions of ideas flow thru their measly minds. And for you self-righteous once I guess you might be to old to remember your youth....no issues what so ever hah or you just don't have any kids, I really hope so.

For the parents of this child, this is a call for help. He has been given a second chance in life may you find a way to help him. Therapy, homeschool him and find out what interest he might have so that he can socialize. I know a young lady that was adopted from Africa when she was a teenager. Her mom did this to give her a better life. It was very difficult for this young lady to adapt even though she was given education, clothing her own room, love and so much more. But for several years she struggled and even though she was in an extreme dangerous situation she actually preferred to be in Africa and made it completely different picture in her head from what was reality. I thought she should go back and visit to hopefully clear her head. Its a state of mind. Don't know what this child is going thru but it must be agonizing for him to do what he did.

rolfsbug April 24 2014 at 10:45 AM

Beyond security, I'm glad the kids safe. He's homesick and did a crazy thing. Unfortunately at his age he couldn't think things all the way through. Most kids his age are like that and do dumb things. With understanding and care, he'll be fine. Maybe if it's possible, his parents could take him "home" for a visit. Perhaps they could bring into the home some things from Africa that celebrate where he's from such as art, culture, foods and traditions. As a first generation immigrant, I know how it feels to long for the "old country", even though we may be looking at it through rose colored glasses. I'm German and grew up at a time when being German wasn't so cool in this country. Germany's great, I've been back there. But first of all I'm an American. But I still enjoy a good German festival! That's what makes America great. We come together by sharing our backgrounds. But "Homeland Security"? Now that's a horse of a different color!

Pat April 24 2014 at 11:18 AM

I feel sorry for the poor kid.

LewTag April 24 2014 at 11:21 AM

I had to relocate for a job when my son was in 6th grade and he never recovered from the loss of his friends...he is now age 52 and still is a wandering misfit unable to find his place in the world....if I had known the impact on his growth I would have made different arrangements but no one told me how deep was his grief and he could not explain it.....thankfully he is passive and has no agression in his makeup so he has never harmed himself or any others....and never married either...

Tutu April 25 2014 at 10:34 AM

So the kid wanted to go to or should I say BACK TO AFRICA and jumped on a plane that was obviously bound for Hawaii? Sorry but I see no connection in that bs. Where were the parents when it came to raising this kid? What were they doing to see that he adjusted to life in the USA, the country that is now his homeland by the way? Make the parents pay the bills and make the kid pay a penalty as well for his breaking the law. What would the upraor be if he had fallen out of the wheel well over the ocean and no one knew what became of him, ever..would his face be on a milk carton or a bill board with some yelling racism behind his being missing. Another line of thought...send the kid back to Africa and deny him the right to come back to the USA. Parents and the kid are to blame for this stupidity....

Roberta Tutu April 25 2014 at 1:04 PM

Outside influence makes all the difference in the world.

Scarlett April 24 2014 at 8:46 PM

I am glad the kid is okay. I have read more comments from the father, and he comes across as uncaring. I hope they don't release him to his father without checking out the kid's home situation.

Randy Sanchez Scarlett April 25 2014 at 1:45 AM

I agrree. He needs to be sent back to his grandparents where he will be happy. I'll help pay for his ticket if possible.

Mia047 Randy Sanchez April 25 2014 at 8:21 AM

I agree, but it is not clear if the grand parents coud provide for him.

Flag 0 rate up
tobytina0011 Scarlett April 25 2014 at 2:33 AM

There culture is totaly differnt.Its not our place to judge how caring or not he is.You have no idea about there culture so it is pretty stupid to make a comment when you have no idea

boyle1034 April 24 2014 at 4:05 AM

He must have gone into a state of suspended animation of some kind where the bodily activities
slow down to a point of threshold level activity where by only what is absolutely necessary to physical survival occurs.