Miracle! 2-year-old autistic boy survives fall from 3rd story window

NYC Toddler Survives Fall From Third Floor Window
A 2-year-old boy is alive after falling from a third-floor window at his family's Manhattan apartment early Wednesday morning.

WABC reports a metal trash bin might have saved the toddler - it was directly under the window that he fell from. The trash bin reportedly broke his fall before he ended up hitting the sidewalk.

According to the New York Daily News, the 2-year-old's name is Jayvin Cruz. A witness told the outlet what he heard when Jayvin fell: "I heard a bang. At first I thought it was a car accident ... The baby was lying on the sidewalk crying, but I couldn't see any blood."

Authorities say the boy only suffered minor injuries in the fall. He was taken to the hospital after the early-morning fall with a few bumps and bruises.

KDKA reports the Consumer Product Safety Commission calls children falling from windows one of the top five home hazards. The station notes four young children in late March and early April fell out of upper floor windows in the Pittsburgh area alone.

The agency points out some of the best ways to prevent young children from falling out of windows include moving furniture away from the windows and installing guards or stops. Guards block the windows completely while stops only allow windows to open a couple inches.

The family of the boy who fell in New York said every window in the apartment had a guard except for the one the boy fell from. Police say no charges are expected to be filed.

Gina April 23 2014 at 12:35 PM

Every window had a guard except the one he fell from? That sounds pretty stupid right there! It's like saying, I had a latched gate on every staircase except the one the baby fell down or I had every cabinet locked except the poison cabinet... My gosh! MAKE THEM ALL SAFE! Just one window, stairway or cabinet left unsafe and there's an accident just waiting to happen!

userpat7248 Gina April 23 2014 at 6:18 PM

We put door guards on the doors so our son couldn't open them, He used to bring them to us, We had a baby gate across the doorway to keep him out of the kitchen , he took it off, even though it was screwed into the frame. He learned to open the locks on the screen door and would leave the house He was three years old and has Down Syndrome When his sister was two she would lock the doors behind her when she left. So even though it was dumb to have one window unprotected kids are smart.

Hmtl4evr April 23 2014 at 12:28 PM

whether a child is a healthy child or has a disability , that should not matter. We as Parents should take every step in making our homes as safe as humanly possible. It's just common sense. I mean look , a chils should not be able to fall out a basement window let alone a 3rd, 4th, or 10th story window. Make sure that window, or that door is childproof , if you have to put an extra lock on something, isn't it worth the 5 minutes it takes to install and the 5.00 it would cost , rather then a 20,000.00 Funeral and the guilt you'll have the rest of your life for not using common sense to make sure your child will be safe in his/her own home? It's when they get out in the real world is where we may not be able to watch them from our crazy world, but it's our duty to make sure they are always safe in our own homes. Don't wait for something to happen to fix it, do it before it happens.

trucker58r Hmtl4evr April 23 2014 at 4:16 PM

I agree 100%. Its bad enough to have this happen to your child and family. They don't need some overeager
news hound telling the world that their child is handicap. Whether the child was autistic or not did not
lead to his fall. Parental carelessness was the reason. Stick to the relevant facts!!!

trucker58r
Rick

Ms. Dragon April 23 2014 at 12:00 PM

Toddlers and puppies. If there is a way to get into trouble, they will. I think the goal of little kids is to make their parents look sappy. Told my in-laws my 2 year old wouldn't eat cantalope. Little rascal sat on gramma's lap and ate nearly half a cantalope while she gave me that mother-in-law smirk. Urrggghh!

c21lompoc April 23 2014 at 1:21 PM

Idiots are still having children. Scary.

userpat7248 c21lompoc April 23 2014 at 6:10 PM

And why would you call a parent of a child an idiot? Children have accidents all the time. This might come as a big suprise but NO ONE can watch their child 24/7.

m0rningangel1 April 23 2014 at 10:15 AM

When my son was about three I was up pretty late one night and I heard a child crying outside. I told my husband what in the world who has their kid out at night this late and he is crying...little did I know my son had fallen out of the window and was in the driveway. It was only a first floor window that was low to the floor so he only fell a few feet. You just don't think about things like this happening. Better to be over protective than not enough. I just feel blessed it was a low window he fell out of and I know the parents of these kids falling out of windows are feeling pretty horrible .

angelsum m0rningangel1 April 23 2014 at 10:16 AM

It was a third story window.

rweruss angelsum April 23 2014 at 11:24 AM

You did not read the comment

Flag +1 rate up
prescottvalley6 April 23 2014 at 10:13 AM

What does the boy being Autistic have to do with the incident? Any two year old can easily do the same thing. just another way for media to expose this little boys medical history to the world without having to obey HIPPA laws. As if Autism was at fault for his fall. News flash Aol, Any child can do this.

angelsum April 23 2014 at 10:14 AM

Children with autism or asperger's syndrome usually survive when normal people could not because they don't panic. A few years back a boy with autism survived many hours in the ocean laughing and playing--not knowing the dangers. That saved his life.

hey April 23 2014 at 10:18 AM

I am becoming more convinced that you should have take tests before having kids, there is not a day goes by that some sfb does,nt take care of their kids and tragedy or near tragedy occurs, make sure kids cant fall out of windows, if you anywhere near water keep an eye on your kids. if your too lazy to watch them don't move near water of any kind , I am convinced more children die because of careless or stupid parents . leaving kids in cars should be a reason to remove the kids on grounds of stupidity

soberlyf hey April 23 2014 at 10:38 AM

Amen!

aristocat101 April 23 2014 at 11:57 AM

Why cant parents be responsible for their children, whats the matter with people? I am so sick of parents not being responsible and the sad thing is these children are allowed to stay with these same parents instead of being taken away. Take the children and make sure mom and dad can never reproduce ( mandatory)

c21lompoc April 23 2014 at 1:23 PM

Don't they make screens anymore?

abourge458 c21lompoc April 23 2014 at 2:54 PM

Not reliable. My cat managed to push the screen out of it's frame and he's only 7 or 8 pounds. ( Luckily, I was on 1st floor.)
A 30 -40 pound child could easily fall against a screen and go through.