Mailman hid 45,000 letters in storage and late mother's house

Mailman Hid 45,000 Letters In Storage And Late Mother's House

Tampering with someone's mail is a serious crime, and police in Kentucky have arrested a man they say has been doing so for years. ABC says, "Police say over a two-year period, letter carrier Brent Morse dumped 45,000 letters and packages that were in storage instead of delivering them."

Morse has been a mailman for the past five years. According to police, he wanted to shorten his workday and decided to just ... not deliver some of the mail.

WGHP reports police Captain Craig Patterson says Morse "wanted to speed up his route. I think he was lazy."

But according to Daily Mail, Morse's lawyer says his client was going through a divorce at the time and was responsible for picking up his children after school, so he would just store any mail he didn't get delivered.

Alarmingly, mail carriers have been arrested for mail fraud before.

New York Post reported in March, a Long Island mailman was charged with throwing more than 1,000 pieces of mail into the trash.

A writer for Australia's The Age says a postal worker for the Australian Post hid about 10,000 undelivered packages and letters in his bedroom in 2013.

The federal penalty for mail tampering in the U.S. is a maximum of five years in jail.

But The Courier-Journal says Morse was only sentenced to six months in jail and then six months on home detention because only a few of the 250+ mail recipients on his route suffered financially from not receiving their mail. Morse also never stole anything from the mail he hoarded in both a storage shed and his late mother's home.

WPSD says "He will also have to pay almost $15,000 in restitution to residents, a bank and two other businesses for their losses."

All the mail Morse had stashed has now been delivered.

YourFtr April 24 2014 at 2:19 PM

when I bought my new house; the former owner had rented it out to about 4 other people at various times; so I used to get 4 people's mail ( who had not put in a change of address ). After about a year I was tired of getting their mail; so I used to open it......for amusement....
One guy had skipped out on owing a stock broker $5,000........they offered to forgive it; if he would give them 50% !? The same guy had thrown a Pizza party for his friends at a pizza parlor and had written them a check for $350 which bounced. The Pizza Parlor was even more upset than the stock brokers !! I did send them both a note saying the guy had moved and left no forwarding address; so I suggested they use some skip-tracing service.....HA !!?

caveredecorator YourFtr April 24 2014 at 2:26 PM

thanks for the story

Applez64 YourFtr April 24 2014 at 2:57 PM

It's a federal offence to open other people's mail. You bounce back and forth. I think you're making thins up!

twoblueyes70 April 24 2014 at 10:39 AM

Seriously, why do people always use kid as their excuse to do the bad things they do? If kids are going to make you do bad things or is turning your life upside down, then dont have them.

anandaone twoblueyes70 April 24 2014 at 10:45 AM

I couldn't agree more. Or, should I say, "Moore"?

loamylam April 24 2014 at 10:38 AM

My mother retired from the Post Office and had 6 kids to raise. It would never entered her mind to violate her duties and cheat . I'll bet every person reading this story has encountered family or personal problems which were demanding yet continued on with doing their job to best of their ability. Any excuse what-so-ever un-acceptable. Having a hard time in life simply does not constitute cheating. Who knows what was inside those letters. It may have been the answers to somebody else's problem in life.

joytotheworld454 loamylam April 24 2014 at 11:59 AM

I agree , everyone has problrms in life, that doesn't mean we mess up a work . As a Federal offence, if he does 1 year and 1 day in jail , he should loses his rights as an American , and that means to vote . He was lucky to have a good job with a good pension , but all that is gone now .

ohioh111b111y April 24 2014 at 10:37 AM

So , he wanted to shorten his work day?

i believe drivers get paid the same amount of money for a four hour day as an 8 hour day.
There is no reason for him to have NOT delivered that mail. EVEN if he had to pick up his
children from school. He had plenty of time.

jbraidedbeauty1 April 24 2014 at 10:33 AM

What a pos, how would this moron like if someone did that to his mail? The nerve of this idiot and there are good people out there needing jobs! He got away with this for so long .UNBELIEVABLE!

glers April 24 2014 at 2:40 PM

This guy needs to go to jail for at least 5 years!

Kim April 24 2014 at 10:33 AM

I just being a speck in this whole thing has affected me & many others as well-I have sold items & sent them only to be 'lost' through the mail-I then have to make a full refund and am out the cost and the item. I too have been a single parent with responsibilities but I did not wine about it or fail in my responsibilities-if he couldn't do the job he should have resigned-

kcarthey April 24 2014 at 2:40 PM

All afected parties should join in a class action suit for damages caused by this rogue employee of the fPost Office. I suspect that those damages would cost the USPS hundreds of millions of dollars.

JE WA ZA WI April 24 2014 at 10:29 AM

This has happened a few other times around the country ,as I recall . Imagine how this effects peoples lives . Birthday cards with cash for the grandchildren .Wedding and Birth announcements ,and trying to explain to people why your utilities were turned off ,and the expense of restoring service .The clown should be responsible for compensating every last dime his customers have had to shell out because of his neglencents . Federal offense for every piece of stolen mail .Give him life of misery ,like he gave to so many .

hotamor71 April 24 2014 at 3:18 PM

HA HA HA HA I'M GLAD THAT LOSER GOT CAUGHT!!!!! GOES TO SHOW YOU THAT EVEN A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN CAN GET CAUGHT LMAO.

cqdeed hotamor71 April 24 2014 at 3:31 PM

How can you call him a "LAW ABIDING CITIZEN" when he was breaking the law almost daily for two years?

marielnoscar cqdeed April 24 2014 at 4:02 PM

Because he is nuts!

Flag 0 rate up

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal