Israeli company re-invents the wheel

Israeli Company Re-Invents the Wheel

The Acrobat wheel employs a unique suspension system designed to make life easier for the wheelchair-bound. Comprising a three-pronged, moving, suspension system located between the wheel rim and hub, the technology absorbs the impact of curbs and stairs, allowing a smoother ride and a wider range of travel options. Softwheel's product specialist Dror Cohen uses the Acrobat on his own wheelchair.

ranewbould April 23 2014 at 6:55 PM

Very nice new spin on an old idea. Maybe folks should continue to look at incremental improvements as opposed to complete redos first, as this guy did.

cyretired April 24 2014 at 2:37 AM

All well and good. It does help going down but does nothing for going up steps. I mean they show a guy going down but don't explain how he got up there. Which means he had ramp access, so why not use that to go back down? Speaking from experience as my wife is in and out of wheelchairs for most of her life. Also these days it's much easier to find curbs with ramps anyway. Even old building have ramps now. I guess it's good for short cuts.

William April 24 2014 at 12:27 AM

Absolutely fantastic. This needs to be sent to Bill O Reilleys attention. He's currently giving away wheel chairs with tracks for disabled war veterans. These wheels can most likely be retro-fitted onto existing chairs. Several healthplans cover this type of equipment. I hope this gets big enough to get picked up world-wide.

timothyknerr April 24 2014 at 12:14 AM

Who says you can't reinvent the wheel. I know a lot people who would love to test the product on thier wheelchairs.

jigokurei April 23 2014 at 11:59 PM

You know, this could revolutionize bicycling too; no need for a rear or front shock or strut...just built into the wheel. I'll take a pair to beta test.

lakeinsky1 April 23 2014 at 11:13 PM

I like it -- you tube has a lot of similar ideas for various wheels -- including darpa projects - check it out

kdidmore777 April 23 2014 at 9:15 PM

awesome!!!!!!!!!!

haddonfineart April 23 2014 at 9:10 PM

Great invention for a lively pet that has the get up and go to get up and go!
If I had the money to buy one for every handicapped pet I would spend my last buck and same with people A means to move. MOBILITY!

SSSSSSSSSSSSSST April 24 2014 at 4:10 AM

I'll bet if you are going to fast that this new spring hub will toss you out on the ground!

JOEM April 24 2014 at 4:47 AM

well now I have seen everything ......................BUT WILL THEY EVER CREATE A HEALTHY HOT DOG THE AMERICAN FAVORITE OF ALL TIME