Chicago named funniest city in America

Chicago Named Funniest City in America

Looking for a good laugh? Go to Chicago. According to a study out of the University of Colorado Boulder, it's the funniest city in America.

Several factors were considered in determining which city was the humor capital of the US.

Among them were the number of comedy clubs per square mile, how highly traveling comedians regarded the location, and how many famous jokesters hailed from it.

Internet activity like searches for funny stuff and comedic tweets also played a role.

Researchers mixed all of that information with an algorithm, and what came out was a nationwide ranking of who's laughing ... and who isn't.

After ranking the 50 cities surveyed, about 900 people were interviewed in the top 10 cities to get a sense of how much of a place humor has in residents' day-to-day lives.

While Chicago came in first, the other best places to go yuk it up were found to be Boston, Atlanta, Washington, DC, and Portland, Oregon.

New York and Lost Angeles were ranked 6th and 7th, respectively.

On the other end of the spectrum, don't expect to crack much of a smile in Fort Worth, Texas. The city came in at number 50 of the 50 studied.

dditzlersr April 22 2014 at 1:49 PM

I would have said Blue Ball , next town under Intercourse ! right around the crossroad of Paradise !

cchandh April 22 2014 at 12:30 PM

Finally Chicago has something to laugh about...

American 1st April 23 2014 at 8:53 AM

400 to 500 murders per year, mostly gang related. Who's laughing now, Chicago?

tmccull52 American 1st April 23 2014 at 9:06 AM

I'll tell you who's laughing now; Detroit. who is usually the Murder Capitol of the United States. With all of the local government corruption in the former mayor's office, and in the city council, Detroit needs something to laugh about.

matilda524 tmccull52 April 23 2014 at 11:11 AM

There are many reasons Detroit has gone down the tubes. Lots of blame to go around.

Flag +1 rate up
matilda524 American 1st April 23 2014 at 11:10 AM

You really think they're laughing? I don't get why they can't get a handle on it, other big cities have done an incredible job reducing crime and gun violence/murder.

It was done mostly through innovative urban policing, they should consult with other cities. Well, they probably have, but do they have some kind of a unique situation that makes it so hard?

Chicago is a great city, and this is sad.

davidcpasq April 22 2014 at 12:34 PM

Chicago is an awesome place to live. Too bad those people who give no value to human life receive the most amount of press

shiloh1388 April 22 2014 at 11:10 PM

I would say Washington, DC and Arlington, VA. are more than willing to laugh with you, at you, and about you, as long as you make no demands on them, and endlessly spend, money, more money, more and more money, blah, blah, blah. You get the idea-DC is the worst deal in the USA by far. Frisco and Honolulu are certainly in there as well as the Big Rotten Apple, for big rip joint going.

eeverettm April 22 2014 at 12:45 PM

Somehow you have to find a way to deal with all the murders and mayhem around you.

matilda524 eeverettm April 22 2014 at 11:37 PM

I think a lot of you have never been to a city, period. You seem very preoccupied with them. Just people working, going to school and living their lives. Americans, like you

Joy April 22 2014 at 12:46 PM

I've been to Chicago a few times and I must say I have had a few laughs, perhaps I should visit more often.

clwgeorgetownlaw April 22 2014 at 10:36 PM

Da beers

belldn3 April 22 2014 at 10:33 PM

Guess it is funny when you're drinking all the time.

croshatch April 22 2014 at 5:55 PM

When copy is posted that repeats what's said in the video word-for-word, and much less time is devoted to reading the copy, why is a video even needed? I'd prefer to skip the download.

Rich boy croshatch April 22 2014 at 6:22 PM

Same irritation here. I have now blocked the videos with AdBlock plus, and only get the written version. Speeds up the download too!

SumBreezeHuh croshatch April 22 2014 at 6:39 PM

I hate having the exact same thing being said in the video appear word for word on the page. I'd rather read than listen to the hosts inject their own tone of voice and opinion into every story. One day, no one is going to know how to read anymore. I see enough visuals in my daily life - I'd rather read.