Only women can make their voices sound sexier

Sorry, Guys, Only Women Can Make Their Voices Sound Sexier

Sorry guys -- that "sexy" voice you've been trying isn't working.

That's according to researchers at Albright College in Pennsylvania. They recently conducted a study on what happens when we try to manipulate our voices.

"For the study, 40 participants (20 men, 20 women) provided intentionally manipulated voice samples for the desired traits, plus a normal speech sample. Each sample consisted of participants counting from one to 10. Another 40 people assessed the degree to which each sample effectively projected the given trait."

The researchers found while women could make their voices sound sexier, men could not. In fact, it actually got a bit worse when they tried. So why do women have this ability and men don't?

According to the researchers, it might have something to do with mate selection. Men place more emphasis on attractiveness when finding a partner, so women attempt to sound sexier to quote "enhance their value."

It wasn't all bad news for the fellas. Although only women could sound sexier, only men could sound more confident. Both sexes could also manipulate their voices to sound more intelligent and more dominant.

The study was published in the Journal of Nonverbal Behavior.

kory9966 April 22 2014 at 6:22 AM

I totally disagree with this "study/findings", my husband has a deep voice to begin with, and there are times that he can make it deeper, that it practically vibrates in his body out to reach me. I find it very very sexy. He's a big guy to begin with, so I could not imagine him having a girly voice, that would be just plain unappealing.

wlh1923 kory9966 April 22 2014 at 9:18 AM

I don't think anybody including the study suggested/suggests that men with girly voices sound sexy or sexier. The issue is whether a man make his voice sound sexier not whether you think men with girly voices are unappealing.

Frank April 22 2014 at 9:54 AM

and we spend money doing this study

hellyon3too Frank April 22 2014 at 11:26 AM

"We" did? Are you sure? Sounds more like student "research" conducted with volunteers than an actual study to me.

Observer42 April 22 2014 at 9:49 AM

I know men who, when feeling amorous, sound it. Without trying, their voices change with their mood. Perhaps men feel when "faking" sexy sounds, but some certainly can sound it when they feel it!

Bob April 22 2014 at 9:05 AM

Barry White - The voice that covers it all.

Owen April 22 2014 at 8:44 AM

Not so..........

Kensdelrey April 22 2014 at 9:59 AM

What a bunch of B/S...Incredible ignorance and stupidity.

Ralph & Cindy April 22 2014 at 8:12 AM

A sampling of 20 of each sex isn't even enough to form an opinion let alone publish a definitive article.

Sheria April 22 2014 at 7:56 AM

The study didn't conclude that men could not sound sexy, but that men either have a sexcy voice or they don't. Barry White had a sexy voice all the time. He sounded sexy just saying hello. This article concludes that men can't make their voices sound sexy at will and that women can. I don't know if that's true in all cases, but it's important to frame the issue discussed accurately.

Sheria Sheria April 22 2014 at 7:59 AM

Oops! I apologize for the typo.

Sir. JJStryyker April 22 2014 at 12:39 PM

That's crap, I have a deep voice when I want to use it, and girls think it's very sexy. My girl friend loves when I use it on her. I it use as my phone voice and with customers. Many years in sales!!!
JJr.

generalsnafu April 22 2014 at 10:04 AM

Of course women can make their voices sound sexier by eliminating that high pitched, little girl whine so many of them are accustomed to using. What a turn-off.

radarmannoshoes generalsnafu April 22 2014 at 10:20 AM

Totally agree. Today's female artists with those little girl voices do nothing for me.