Moose charges at snowmobilers in Maine

Moose Charges At Snowmobilers In Maine

A moose gave snowmobilers quite the scare in Jackman, Maine. The moose eventually ran off, but it left a permanent impression on the couple.

According to the Bangor Daily News, Janis and Bob Powell, who are from New Hampshire, were doing what they love most when a moose joined them on the trail. The Powells say that happens often -- but this interaction was clearly not like the others.

ABC says, "The only thing I could think of was what I had to put between myself and the moose, and unfortunately that was just the snowmobile."

"Janis fires a warning shot. I knew what size gun I had, and I knew that I might make it even more angry." Fortunately, the moose eventually retreated, and Bob Powell escaped with only a few scrapes.

The Powells then alerted the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife about the incident.

Although that moose seemed angry, the Jackman Maine Chamber of Commerce says moose are not normally aggressive. But the 1,000-pound animals have been known to become increasingly aggressive when hungry, tired or harassed by people, dogs and traffic.

The Powells say they think the moose was sick, but regardless, they'll keep a greater distance next time they encounter a moose.

631207948 April 22 2014 at 5:46 AM

Is their any place in the world wild animals can live in peace?

Jeffrey 631207948 April 22 2014 at 6:31 AM

Yea It's sad , they killed 5 bears in Orlando the other day , rather than capture & relocate them to the Oceola National Forest just a 100 miles to the north , like it's the bears fault we built so many condos in THEIR backyard & then provided them with all the easy to get at food (dumpsters )from all these wasteful elderly savages . . . WE CALL IT TOURIST SEASON , SO WHY CAN'T WE SHOOT THEM ??

JohnBoydStrother Jeffrey April 22 2014 at 9:06 AM

well maybe you can, May I shoot you when you become a tourist in my town? NO? then you are just brain dead anyways.

Flag 0 rate up
bassandbingo April 22 2014 at 7:49 AM

City folks! Hope they try a bear next!

rickschlegel1 April 22 2014 at 7:54 AM

Your supposed to fire the gun in to the ground. If you look the the angle of the gun when fired someone could have been hurt.

SumBreezeHuh April 22 2014 at 7:06 AM

Calling out AOL... It seems all the readers below did their homework. This video is apparently edited and doesn't reveal what actually took place. I wonder who edited the video, AOL or the bullying snowmobilers.

Doc Holliday April 22 2014 at 7:18 AM

I have snow mobiled in all of the New England states and when I saw a moose I just stopped and let it go where it wanted to, this way you don't scare them as they are a wild animal.
the next question is does New Hampshire and Maine recognize each others gun permits?

streamstalker4 Doc Holliday April 22 2014 at 8:24 AM

You don't need a permit unless it's concealed.

JohnBoydStrother streamstalker4 April 22 2014 at 8:44 AM

sorry but the gun was pulled from a pocket, thus it was concealed.

Flag 0 rate up
nancy1ann April 22 2014 at 7:37 AM

YOU made the moose angry! Do not follow...you deserved it.....! ps I live in Maine....

nam2205 nancy1ann April 22 2014 at 8:25 AM

I live in PA, and there are no moose here, but its a nobrainer to leave them alone.

Patrick April 22 2014 at 9:34 AM

Maybe it's young was nearby and it was just protecting them..

blackhorse1nc April 22 2014 at 6:25 AM

Who in their right mind wants to tease or annoy a moose. Any animal for that matter. These idiots were lucky. As moose go , it wasn't a large one. Secondly, that charge was a warning, if Bullwinkle wanted them, they were toast. If was a bit earlier in the season, and that was a bull with a full rack, only broken bodies would be the story.

johnny April 22 2014 at 6:22 AM

he was just playing tag your turn

emmanflowers April 22 2014 at 5:49 AM

The video has been edited...Janice and Bob Powell from NH chased the poor moose on two different snowmobiles for quite a distance at a good speed...getting closer and closer. I saw the poor moose galloping ...it was tired and exhausted so Yes......you only see it when it stopped
to defend it'self....and they make themselves sound like the victim! Bob and Janice Powell was harassing the poor tired moose after a long cold winter here in Maine. They should be charged!

Anastasia emmanflowers April 22 2014 at 6:49 AM

I saw this originally on my FB page unedited and YES they saw the moose long before they stopped. They only stopped because he did. They were chasing him and he turned to protect himself and they are very lucky that they were not injured further than just the small attack that was made. Show the truth people. Blame the animal? FOR SHAME. They rule the woods whether you believe it or not. I agree with emmanflowers in that they were "harassing" this moose. They should "be charged"!

JohnBoydStrother Anastasia April 22 2014 at 8:49 AM

Any game warden that sees this film and does not charge these folks isn't doing their job.

Flag 0 rate up