Moose charges at snowmobilers in Maine

Moose Charges At Snowmobilers In Maine

A moose gave snowmobilers quite the scare in Jackman, Maine. The moose eventually ran off, but it left a permanent impression on the couple.

According to the Bangor Daily News, Janis and Bob Powell, who are from New Hampshire, were doing what they love most when a moose joined them on the trail. The Powells say that happens often -- but this interaction was clearly not like the others.

ABC says, "The only thing I could think of was what I had to put between myself and the moose, and unfortunately that was just the snowmobile."

"Janis fires a warning shot. I knew what size gun I had, and I knew that I might make it even more angry." Fortunately, the moose eventually retreated, and Bob Powell escaped with only a few scrapes.

The Powells then alerted the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife about the incident.

Although that moose seemed angry, the Jackman Maine Chamber of Commerce says moose are not normally aggressive. But the 1,000-pound animals have been known to become increasingly aggressive when hungry, tired or harassed by people, dogs and traffic.

The Powells say they think the moose was sick, but regardless, they'll keep a greater distance next time they encounter a moose.

ae12wrangell April 22 2014 at 11:31 PM

I was expecting to read 'Abominable Snowman attacks in Maine'

alexlakesmn April 22 2014 at 1:50 PM

Ya think? Look at the full YouTube video! The moose thinks he's being attacked!

Walt April 22 2014 at 1:25 PM

ALWAYS PULL FOR THE ANIMAL.

JEZ April 22 2014 at 2:55 PM

look at the video in full not on here but utube, The snowmobilers def know they are chasing the moose for a long while and that's why it turned around tried to defend itself. AOL gives the wrong impression once again. They clearly knew the moose was running away from them and they continued to trail it. I wish he would have stomped them a little more. the a holes.

Sonja JEZ April 22 2014 at 3:56 PM

Jail Time.
Obama, Where are you, when Animals Are Abused.
Ps. I will send an Email To Thomas Clearant.
I know he will tell all those big shots The Biggest Court in this Country, Suprime Court to change the Laws.
Thanks Judge Thomas I know you a great Person, am on your side.
Sincerly Sonja Wolff.

Title911 April 22 2014 at 11:47 AM

Freaking tailgating the moose for got knows how far so when the moose resorts to road rage because some yahoo doesn't get the gravity of tailgating in the wild they blame who.....not the yahoo no responsibility there for there encounter NO they blame the Moose who I am sorry to say is unable to use a firearm because if I was a moose and had two idiots on motorized screamers chasing down my ass I would have shoot them dead......now here the twist these two BOZO's sound like they could run for some kind of Political Office since they accept NO responsibility and there actions indicated they are IDIOTS!!!!

tiakeas2 April 22 2014 at 11:38 AM

It sure looked like they were chasing the moose!! Smart people stay away from moose!!

rockhigher April 22 2014 at 11:36 AM

The moose was clearly being harrased by the snowmobiling couple, it charged beacuse it was being chased down by the couple...see the attached complete youtube...and then decide...

ch3n02junkie rockhigher April 22 2014 at 11:48 AM

can't understand how anybody with the capability of rational thought watched that video
and came to the conclusion the moose was being chased. it is plainly obvious that ISN'T
the case.

bassidan ch3n02junkie April 22 2014 at 12:55 PM

You saw the edited version. Go to youtube and see those idiots chasing it.

Flag 0 rate up
judy April 22 2014 at 11:32 AM

I bet those people did something to annoy the moose first

Spinnaker April 22 2014 at 11:23 AM

Do Moose come into your house uninvited ? No, of course not. Stay away while they are hunting for food or protecting their territory. No all are well off enough for stupid winter fun. Next time bring FOOD>

bartstew April 22 2014 at 11:02 AM

Anytime there is a story about an animal, AOL has a headline on their Home page that calls it a "Creature." In this case, a "creature" got "too close for comfort." They are trying to lure in the massive paranormal-believing audience (also known as superstitious idiots) by dropping a hint that this is a creature unknown to science. Bigfoot attacks!

Back to School Deal

1409239191806

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal