Michelle Obama: 'Splurging is the key to life'

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Michelle Obama said "splurging is the key to life" if you regularly eat right and stay active. Her biggest guilty pleasure: French fries.

"How would you appreciate vegetables if you never had chocolate?" she asked. "You couldn't live without a little chocolate, a little French fries."

The first lady took questions from children reporters Monday after appearing at the White House Easter Egg Roll. She told the children that if they eat right the majority of the time, then a splurge or snack is not going to hurt them.

"I still splurge when I can, but that's why I try to exercise almost every day," she said.

The first lady said she tries to teach her two daughters balance and healthy meals at home, to offset any ice cream or birthday cake they have while out.

Mrs. Obama said her favorite physical activity is tennis, which she tries to do at least once a week. She said her daughter Malia participates in track and tennis too, while Sasha enjoys basketball and dance.

She urged the young scribes- who ranged in age from 6 years old to 13 years old- to eat balanced meals, drink water and keep moving.

"The more water you drink, the less room you'll have for the junk," Mrs. Obama said.

The children reporters and their parents were part of the 30,000 people visiting the White House for the annual egg roll event.

monicawl7 April 22 2014 at 10:18 AM

I agree with the First Lady's advice on this particular topic. It's important to drink lots of water, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, engage in a fun activity that involves moving, and splurge on a treat now and again. A lot of health problems could be avoided or alleviated if we all followed this recommended course of conduct.

Erick April 22 2014 at 9:24 AM

The sight of the Obama's makes me sick to my stomach. I think I just puked in my mouth!

SISTAHONTHEMOVE Erick April 22 2014 at 9:32 AM

Drop dead while you're at it.

slicric13 April 22 2014 at 9:17 AM

I'd like to spurge, but the feds have all my $$$$$

jelgolewis April 22 2014 at 11:21 AM

I guess some of you don't know about obesity in America so here you go.

jsinvent April 22 2014 at 11:25 AM

"How would you appreciate vegetables if you never had chocolate?" MO

How would you appreciate how hard it is to have an idea and run a business to become succesful if you never ran anything other them your mouth? Americans

"You didn't build that some other guy did" BHO 2012

sanmc58 April 21 2014 at 8:59 PM

oohh no, she told little kids it's okay to splurge??? wow

michilady22 April 22 2014 at 11:26 AM

I think "indulge" would have been a better choice of words. Splurge sounds more like "go ahead and eat that whole bag of chips." Indulge sounds like "I think I will have a handful of chips." Indulge is good when talking about food but splurge should be saved for things like, "a better car, a larger TV, a better I-phone."

chuckhalper April 22 2014 at 11:39 AM

AOL/HP erred with the placement of this article. Would have been a better fit on HuffingtonPost. Ought too take it down, she is getting clobbered...probably at a 5 or 6 to one rate.

number1wa April 22 2014 at 11:41 AM

Mixed messages -- bad message -- my opinion

number1wa April 22 2014 at 11:42 AM

Kids need nourishment -- as in food -- not just water!

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal