nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acmpolicybanner081514 network-banner-promo mtmhpBanner
14
Search AOL Mail
AOL Mail
Video
Video
AOL Favorites
Favorites
Menu

Lawsuit accuses entertainment figures of sex abuse

Bryan Singer Accuser -- Alleged Sex Abuse Victim Accuses 3 More Hollywood Honchos

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) -- A man who has accused "X-Men" director Bryan Singer of sexually abusing him when he was a teen sued three more entertainment industry figures Monday, claiming they also molested him.

The allegations in the latest lawsuits filed by Michael Egan III are substantially similar to his legal action against Singer. That lawsuit accuses the director of abusing him between the ages of 15 and 17 in Los Angeles and Hawaii.

Monday's lawsuits were filed in federal court in Hawaii against former Fox television executive Garth Ancier, theater producer Gary Wayne Goddard, and David A. Neuman, a former television executive with Current TV and Disney.

Alan Grodin, an attorney for Goddard, said the executive was out of the country and had not seen the lawsuit.

"Based on what we have heard, the allegations are without merit," Grodin wrote in a statement. "Once we have seen the complaint we will respond appropriately."

Ancier did not respond to phone and email messages seeking comment.

Neuman could not be reached for comment. Phone numbers associated with him have been disconnected, and he did not immediately respond to a message sent through the social networking site LinkedIn.

The lawsuits were filed in Hawaii under a law that temporarily suspends the statute of limitations in civil sex abuse cases.

Singer's attorney, Marty Singer, has denied the director abused Egan, calling the allegations defamatory. He has said the director was not in Hawaii when Egan says he was abused and was instead working on production for the first "X-Men" film.

None of the men has been criminally charged, and the statute of limitations for any such charges has passed.

Ancier was the founding programmer at the Fox network, later going on to create programming for The WB, and was a top executive at NBC Entertainment.

Egan, 31, appeared at a news conference Monday alongside his mother, who tearfully described her efforts to report alleged abuses to the FBI in 1999 and 2000.

Bonnie Mound said she wrote several letters to FBI agents in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., urging them to take action. She questioned why those letters and information her son provided in interviews with an agent did not result in criminal charges.

The FBI has said it could not discuss specifically what Egan told them, however, the agency denied last week that it had ignored any information about Singer.

"The suggestion that the FBI ignored a minor victim, or evidence involving the sexual victimization of a child, is ludicrous," FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said in a statement. She reiterated the statement after Egan's news conference Monday.

Mound denied her son's lawsuits were motivated by anything other than holding the defendants accountable.

"It's not about money," Mound said, breaking down in tears.

Egan said he spent several years masking his pain by drinking. He stopped drinking within the past year, entered therapy and sought out a lawyer who would pursue a case.

The Associated Press does not typically name victims of sex abuse but is naming Egan because he is speaking publicly about his allegations.

Egan's attorney, Jeff Herman, said he had spent six months investigating before filing the lawsuits but acknowledged he didn't have all the investigative files or Singer's records that might show the director wasn't in Hawaii during the timeframe. Herman said he has asked Singer's lawyers for those records.

Egan claims he was lured into a sex ring run by a former digital entertainment company executive, Marc Collins-Rector, with promises of auditions for acting, modeling and commercial jobs. He was put on the company's payroll as an actor and forced to have sex with adult men at parties within Hollywood's entertainment industry, the lawsuit said.

Collins-Rector pleaded guilty in 2004 to transporting five minors across state lines to have sex.

Phone numbers listed for Collins-Rector have been disconnected and attempts to reach him for comment last week were unsuccessful. Records maintained in Florida, where Collins-Rector is required to register as a sex offender, show that in 2008 his last known address was in the Dominican Republic.

Join the discussion

1000|Char. 1000  Char.
You've got IT! April 23 2014 at 2:46 AM

Harvey Weinstein.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
lakmug April 22 2014 at 9:41 PM

There may be a lot more to come.In the early days people were embarrased to come forward.This may be just the tip of the iceberg.Let us all wait and see.

Flag Reply +4 rate up
Trisha April 22 2014 at 9:03 PM

Money is ALWAYS the objective so they might as well get off that soap box. But I absolutely believe this happened to him. Thats Hollywood. Sad but true. You can be rest assured many of our biggest celebs were treated to the same to get work but found their way despite it. Very sad.

Flag Reply +4 rate up
larry April 22 2014 at 6:20 PM

Are these the abusers Corey Heim and Corey Feldman were referring to that abused them several years ago, but did not reveal their names ???

Flag Reply +4 rate up
Brenda April 22 2014 at 5:23 PM

You know, I don't give a flying "F" if when this man was in his teens knew what he was doing, it still does not give right to adults to prey on young people of promises of money, and stardom for their on selfish needs, and cheap thrills. There are many ways pedophiles prey on young people, these just happen to be the ways of the rich and powerful.

I've read many comments in to which people seem to be dismissing those facts. Dang, where is the moral compass in this situation from you people!? Have we as human beings become so desensitize to the stories we hear daily, that we don't know right from wrong any longer?? Come on people, have compassion for victims, and none for predators.

Flag Reply +6 rate up
4 replies
hwrsuzy April 22 2014 at 5:50 PM

It's Hollywood...Caliornia,,what d'ya expect? The entire arts industy is full of it.....yes.."it"..or "its"?

Flag Reply +3 rate up
billytoddinc2 April 22 2014 at 1:37 PM

To dbarr 24, struck a nerve didnt I, you know im right. Are you to ashamed of what you have done in your past, go cry to mommy

Flag Reply +1 rate up
milty420 April 22 2014 at 2:49 PM

(((("The suggestion that the FBI ignored a minor victim, or evidence involving the sexual victimization of a child, is ludicrous," FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said in a statement))))


THE SAME FBI THAT IGNORED RUSSIA'S WARNING ON THE BROTHERS WHO BOMBED THE BOSTON MARATHON LAST YEAR

WHO IS WATCHING THE WATCHERS???

Flag Reply +11 rate up
1 reply
James M. Adams milty420 April 22 2014 at 2:56 PM

President Selfie, of course.

Flag Reply +2 rate up
4 replies
Daniel April 22 2014 at 1:02 PM

Just as Corey Feldman said...

Flag Reply +5 rate up
Judith April 22 2014 at 1:27 PM

According to a close friend of mine in the industry, Bryan Singer was warned by others in the industry to stay away from "chicken" but he didn't listen. However, "chickens" aren't forced - they're volunteers.

Flag Reply +3 rate up
1 reply
matilda524 Judith April 22 2014 at 10:33 PM

Even if they're volunteers, the older people should know better

Flag Reply 0 rate up
aol~~ 1209600

Voting...

Back to School Deal

1408563558878

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal

More From Our Partners