Tenn. mom finds body under porch during Easter egg hunt

Tenn. Mom Finds Body Under Porch During Easter Egg Hunt

A Knoxville, Tennessee mom made a terrifying discovery while setting up an Easter egg hunt for her four-year-old son.

According to the Knoxville News Sentinel, the woman found a decomposing body under her porch. She said she'd been noticing a foul smell for a few days, but she hadn't been able to find the source.

She had also asked a person cutting her grass to be on the lookout for the source of the smell, WBIR reported. When the woman once again noticed the odor during her Easter egg hunt, she went searching. According to WBIR, "the body was in a spot deep beneath the deck... around 15 to 20 feet from the outer edge."

According to WKRN, police haven't been able to identify the man, whom they've determined had been under the woman's deck for about two weeks. Other than "extensive dental work," authorities don't have much to go on - advanced decomposition meant he couldn't be fingerprinted.

A writer for The Stir points out the only silver lining to be found in this tragic story: "His body was reportedly found 15 to 20 feet from the edge of the deck, which is good news because it means the child couldn't see it."

According to the Sentinel, authorities performed an autopsy, and the body showed no signs of foul play. It did however find the man had a medical condition that could have resulted in his death.

huntsd1 April 18 2014 at 4:23 PM

Well you know its been freezing I TN so maybe the smell is just now coming out do to it thawing out. I agree with the other person saying it was someone looking for shelter. Its sad. Prayers to the man and whom ever his family.

wb7ptr huntsd1 April 18 2014 at 4:32 PM

Guy may have died of hypothermia trying to sleep under the house. Maybe a homeless person.

Lillian April 19 2014 at 1:41 AM

Once you smell a decomposed body you will never forget that smell. I worked in a hospital and a female body was found in the park across the street from the hospital. Some soldiers found her body while on a march. This young lady was stripped of all clothing and propped against a tree. This was the first time I encountered that odor and to this day I will never forget that smell. The staff alerted us that this body would be coming to our hospital. With everybody being in shock of such a horrible death and who could have done something like this. Well here come the body through the front door and that odor went down on the inside of me and I just started to gag. The entire area had this horrible odor. This odor is different than any odor one have ever smelled. Again, you will never forget that odor. I am so sorry for that person could have been a doctor, lawyer, president of bank, mother, father, sister or brother. When the mind is bad family members do the best they can to keep up with their love ones but they have a way of slipping out door in nursing homes, their homes and the results of this is death, if they are not found quickly. RIP

paxrail Lillian April 19 2014 at 4:17 AM

The stink of a decomposing human is completely different from a decomposing animal. It really is unique and kicks in within 24 hours. "Putrid" pretty well covers it.

STILCHEN FAMILY Lillian April 19 2014 at 4:58 AM

You are right about that odor, Lillian. I remember when I was about 18 years old and one of our neighbors committed suicide. He was a lonor and very private so no one found him for days, but I remember the odor coming from his home for days before he was found. I had to walk past his house every day to get to work and I kept wondering what and where that distinctive odor was coming from for days before they found his body. Now I will never forget that very pungent human decay odor!

crimson April 18 2014 at 4:17 PM

Sad.

Anthony April 18 2014 at 11:29 PM

Sounds like a homeless man unfortuneately met its maker. God be with him and may he rest in peace...

Rachel April 19 2014 at 12:33 AM

Oh I hate when that happens!

budlaurie Rachel April 19 2014 at 1:06 AM

Wow you said it first before I even saw it. I like when this happens, but I hate it when that happens.

Pam April 18 2014 at 4:28 PM

Sounds like it might have been someone who was homeless and looking for shelter. May he rest in peace.

BoniLu April 18 2014 at 11:40 PM

years ago, some creepy guy from my sister's neighborhood hid under her front porch. At night he would crawl out and peep in her windows and call her name, or tap on the windows to scare her. her husband worked nights, so this nutty guy took advantage of that. when my sister told her husband and the rest of the family, everyone accused her of imagining it! I believed her, and I stayed over one night and witnessed the guy tapping on her kitchen window. Then he ran through the back yard to the next road to hide elsewhere. We called the police, as she did often to report it, but the guy always took off before they arrived, because the police used their siran and lights!!! JERKS!!! Finally, at some point, the police checked under her porch. There were empty food papers, bags, empty pop bottles, and beer bottles, a blanket and a long piece of cardboard etc. Evidence that he was actually camping out there for quite some time. They finally caught the guy. He was the town veternarian! Go figure!

budlaurie BoniLu April 19 2014 at 1:08 AM

I hate when that happens.

Chickiepoo BoniLu April 19 2014 at 2:34 AM

Wow.....that would be scary..... and nerve-racking to say the least.....

And I'd be looking for another vet even if I had to go to the next town over.......
I certainly wouldn't want some "wacko" looking after the girlies........

BoniLu Chickiepoo April 19 2014 at 8:56 AM

Chickiepoo....Thankfully , and after a long period of his sick games, that vet was caught and arrested. He lost his license. My sister used to take her dogs to him , and that is how he knew her and got her address. My sister was very tiny, & pretty, and the innocent looking type. He must have had the hots for her, but he was sadistic, and wanted to torment her. He used to even take his sadistic games so far as to crawl up her front porch trellace to the second floor bedrooms and one night her very young kids screamed because they heard him and saw him making scary noices in their window. Then another time, he was on the second floor back balconey, and my sister was painting her bedroom late at night while her husband was at work. she had a fan in the window, and he was calling her name through the fan! eeekkkk! VERY CREEPY SOUNDS! She could NOT prove it, and no-one could witness it because the guy was too clever and fast. He would do his creepy damage and then take off, or go hide back under her porch! I recall taking my poodle there for his shots before anyone knew he was a nut job. Long story, but, I found him to be very strange, and extremely rude, and verbally abusive toward me! I walked out of his office with my dog after I told him off, and never went back. It was a real shame that the police made fun of my sister everytime she would call them crying, and thought she was a mental case. She came very close to a break down before they finally caught that scum bag! It was one of those things where they made her out to be nothing but a "woman's hysterical drama" ! this was back in the 70's. My point is, there could be various reasons for a man hiding under a woman's, or anyone's porch. Until they investigate it, should not point fingers at this woman.

Flag 0 rate up
scott April 18 2014 at 4:29 PM

Well they have made housing prices crazy out of control. No one these days can even find a job. So I expect to see more of this kind of thing happening to people who cant find a job or afford housing.

fificutie12345 April 18 2014 at 5:14 PM