Mother hears son's heart beat inside woman he saved

Mother Hears Son's Heart Beat Inside Woman He Saved

Waiting in a hallway at Heartland Regional Medical Center, Shelly Lance said she doesn't really know the words to describe it. The last time she was at the hospital was when her 20-year-old son, Stephen, died of an aneurysm.

"Stephen was a giver," Shelly said. When he got his driver's license, Stephen signed on to be an organ donor. Fifteen months after his death, Shelly and her daughter Brittany were going to meet the 33-year-old mom who received his heart.

"Your brother's amazing," Angela Scott whispered to Shelly and Brittany as they met at the hospital.

Scott, a 33-year-old wife and mother, told Fox4KC that Stephen's donation gave her kids their mom back. The women looked back through all the notes that they had written over the past year, before they were allowed to disclose their names. "Dear donor family," it began. "Thank you so much for the gift of life that you gave to my mom. It's been hard on me and my little brother Jonathan."

Fighting back tears as she listened to her son's heart beating in Angela's chest, Shelly said it was like Stephen was still there.

Charlie April 20 2014 at 11:02 PM

My brother-in-law donated his organs, and he saved several people's lives. That's a beautiful thing. I'm amazed, dismayed, disappointed by the posts below. If I could save a life, I would do it... and I wouldn't care if I was saving a Republican, a Democrat, a little child, an old man, or an illegal immigrant. They are all human beings, with loved ones, families, blood that runs red, tears that they shed... and all human beings deserve a chance at life. How can people be so heartless to say they want other human beings to die, and that's why they would not give life by donating their organs to save another human being? It could be your brother, your mother, your daughter.

Camp Bulldog April 20 2014 at 12:17 PM

wow!

Cindy April 20 2014 at 1:28 PM

I know someone whose life was saved by an organ donor.
Donors are very special people.

peg Cindy April 20 2014 at 4:40 PM

Being a Donor Mom, I can't help but agree!

Irish April 20 2014 at 1:30 PM

OMG ! Wonderful to hear all of the above. Call it the: 9th wonder of the world. I am happy for all of you.

kvave April 20 2014 at 2:13 PM

This is a perfect example of changing a Loss into a Gift. Those who even in Death choose to pass on the Gift of Life , in my eyes are truly selfless. Well done Stephen . Best wishes to your Mother as well for raising a Kind individual

KCAOL April 20 2014 at 2:34 PM

May God richly bless Stephen's family for allowing his donation wishes.

peg KCAOL April 20 2014 at 4:38 PM

Signing to be an organ donor is a binding contract. That being said, if the family STRONGLY objects, the organ donation organization involved will not insist. However, the donor has no doubt given great thought to his/her decision and would hope that the family would abide by his/her wishes. Organ Donor advocates always emphasize the need for discussion with the family so they will be aware of the wishes of their loved one before the need for a decision arises.

flores763 April 20 2014 at 3:31 PM

Oh my good lord, I don't know how I could handle my son's passing if it should happen before me. I have cried so imagining the pain mom must have, but also the mixed emotions when hearing her son's heartbeat.

Bless mom and the lady who received Steven's heart.

Rick April 20 2014 at 4:20 PM

im a organ donor too if i ever bite the big one. Hope others donate as well............. ;o)

Pamela April 20 2014 at 11:37 PM

I lost my 18 year old son who was my only child several years ago. On that day, I made the very difficult decision to donate his organs based on what I felt he would want. On that most horrific night, I only wanted my son....Although I never got to meet the recipients, it was comforting to know that a young mother of two in our same city and my exact age, received his liver. And a young man age 26 suffering the ravages of diabetes received both kidneys, as he was a perfect match. We were told that to have a non family member be a perfect match is a rarity. We felt it was a sign from above. I also felt personally that Jason was smiling down on me and saying "way to go Mom!" It was the most heartwrenching day of my life, but at the same time, there was comfort in knowing that part of my beautiful boy would live on through others!

lmen579 April 20 2014 at 7:27 PM

AMAZING.!!!!!!! I think this is the most hardest thing to do
BUT you gave so many people another chance to live..
a person has a heart beating; an other is breathing with the lungs; somebody might be seeing or hearing for the first time.... maybe their spouse..child and the list goes on
These organs can go to anyone from a baby to a grown adult
If your love ones have this as one of their request....please honor it
They will continue to live.... again if you ever need a transplant this is the only way you will get one.....