Mother finds Xanax in preschooler's Easter egg

Mich. Mother Finds Xanax In Preschooler's Easter Egg

Police in Michigan are investigating how a preschooler ended up bringing home a plastic Easter egg containing a generic Xanax pill, WXYZ reports.

Police say a 4-year-old girl obtained the egg when she attended an Easter egg hunt at an elementary school Wednesday. According to WJBK, her mother reportedly found the medication when she opened the eggs at home.

The medication is generally used to treat anxiety and panic disorders in adults, and police say it could have harmed the unsuspecting young child, who thankfully didn't eat it. Other parents have expressed their concerns.

WXYZ spoke to one parent who said, "It is scary that that's going around an elementary school, for sure."

The school's superintendent tells The Macomb Daily each child was instructed to bring in candy-filled eggs and then tape the eggs shut.

It's currently unclear how the pill got inside the egg, but WXYZ reports parents and volunteers donated the eggs for the class event. Police are trying to determine whether the pill was put in the egg at school or outside of school before the event.

Police Chief Donald Glandon tells WWJ-TV he thinks the incident was "intentional and criminal," but it's still too early to identify a possible suspect.

Police say no other parents reported finding anything unusual in their eggs.

DOUG April 19 2014 at 11:21 PM

Calm down folks. This is only a claim by the "Mother". No one else has seen this so called pill. Dont beleive everything you read. People make stuff up for attention or lawsuits.

Barb DOUG April 20 2014 at 12:11 AM

That's what I was thinking....check her pharmacy - bet she has a script for Xanax.

mickshute2261 April 19 2014 at 9:45 PM

candy for the kid, xanax for mom

mccartlaw April 19 2014 at 2:47 PM

That pretty disturbing, one good reason why no child should consume any candy until after Mom and Dad check everything to make sure its safe. Why anyone would do a thing like that I don't know but there is no shortage of wackos out there !

steelarc10 April 19 2014 at 2:48 PM

There seems to be no end to how people will try to harm another. Most likely this one child's prank on others. Many homes have dangerous drugs just laying out where anyone can get to them. Children are often not held responsible for their actions. When I grew up we had guns, knives, tools and all sorts of dangerous items. We never, never, never used them unsafely. .......I have the scars to prove it.

dunndor April 19 2014 at 2:50 PM

ainvesigate the "caring mother" ??? I'm tired of phoney law suits

are2900 April 19 2014 at 2:51 PM

If this was done on purpose I hope they catch this Sick **** & arrest them for Child endangerment charges . There is a lot of sick people in this world .

pjarizona April 19 2014 at 2:51 PM

I would really like to hope maybe the pill was left on the counter or table and the candy for the eggs got mixed in with it. I just hate to think someone did this on purpose. BUT if I was going to take a pill and then realized I didn't I would be looking for it and the candy if put on the same counter or table as the pill would be the first place.

Kate April 19 2014 at 3:05 PM

The mentality of someone who could do something like that is completely beyond me. But, unhappy look, I'm from the generation who remembers when people put razor blades in apples, which is certainly no less sick than this.

Be careful, parents!

bah002 Kate April 19 2014 at 3:19 PM

Yes those who did put razor blades x-lax etc when "really" investigated it was found to be family or family members! and ONCE again it was just for the bucks or MEDIA attention! It basically ruined Halloween! no more backed cookies or homemade fudge or popcorn balls!

suitman36 Kate April 19 2014 at 3:25 PM

sorry, kate. don't know where you ever heard of the razor blade thing actually being done. there has never been one documented case of that happening. it's just another urban myth.

Karen suitman36 April 19 2014 at 3:40 PM

Were you around 45 years ago? I was, and remember sicko's putting straight pins in candy bars, razor blades in apples and even tampering with Tylenol. Soon after is when manufacturers began putting safety seals on products.

Flag +1 rate up
phantastic1 suitman36 April 19 2014 at 3:50 PM

Actually is has been done. There were even arrests from it.

Flag 0 rate up
aljoramaggio April 19 2014 at 3:06 PM

Since no other plastic eggs, were found with a pill in them, in the whole school, either somehow it got in there by accident, or the mother "claimed" she found it, at home, after school, looking for some quick and easy money.
My antennae are up,regarding this story!

Joe April 19 2014 at 2:37 PM

Stories like this make me question my faith in humanity..