Tech who falsified mammogram results found guilty

Tech Who Falsified Mammogram Results Found Guilty

A former radiology technician from Georgia has been sentenced to jail for faking the mammogram results of more than 1,200 women. Fox News says:

"Rachael Rapraeger will spend six months in prison. She pleaded guilty to entering more than 1,200 mammograms as negative."

But The Telegraph reports 10 of those women actually had cancer, two of whom have since died. And doctors at Perry Hospital, where Rapraeger used to work, never even reviewed the mammograms. It's unclear why they wouldn't have looked at those mammograms.

One of those 10 women who actually did have cancer is Sharon Holmes. CNN says Holmes discovered she had breast cancer two months after Rapraeger falsified Holmes' mammogram results in 2009.

Holmes has now been in remission for three years and spoke directly to Rapraeger while on the stand, saying, "You could have made a different decision, and my family and I would not be living this nightmare."

WMAZ quotes Holmes, who says: "I'm not a name on a piece of paper; I'm a person. And I think she will remember me."

According to KAEF Rapraeger's attorney told the judge his client was overwhelmed at work and that she falsified the results to get caught up. He added that she wasn't supervised properly.

Although she initially pleaded not guilty, Rapraeger ended up taking a plea deal and pleaded guilty to 10 counts of reckless conduct and one count of computer forgery.

WMAZ says Judge Katherine Lumsden reprimanded Rapraeger when handing down the sentence.

"You played Russian roulette with the lives of essentially a thousand women in this community."
Rapraeger has been sentenced to 12 months probation for each one of the 10 sentences and up to six months in a state detention center when space is made available. She is also not allowed to work in the health care industry for the next 10 years.

harshmanda April 18 2014 at 11:10 AM

Sounds like she should have been found guilty of negligent homicide in addition to the other charges.

harshmanda harshmanda April 18 2014 at 11:11 AM

And multiple lawsuits against her employer.

Mark harshmanda April 18 2014 at 11:28 AM

1200 TO BE EXACT !!

Flag +2 rate up
bbk harshmanda April 18 2014 at 11:27 AM

not true, its the hospitals it is also hospitals liability. legalizes. The hospital is who hire red her & is responsible. the hospital's last of responsibility as well as lack of proper supervision & staffing is a huge issue.& the hospitals neglect to properly train staff to see what is there. THEY are at fault just as she is.

drc79 April 18 2014 at 11:36 AM

I would like to say .. I have never in my life would ever take the word of a Tech for results of any of my test, I would like to know where the Radiologist was in this whole thing!!!
I work at a cancer/breast facility for over 15 years, our radiologist always read every film that came in each day, the tech does the film and then sometimes need to retake films but I have never seen a tech give a patient results!! This makes me sick to my stomach that these women trusted her to do so!! I can't believe the sentence they gave her, WTH people died cause of her and made a bad name for the place she worked for ! She should never ever be able to work in the health industry ever!!! This also open the doors for the insurance companies to come in and call
fraud.. I don't see this being done yet.. I see big fines to her and the company she worked for!! The company she worked for is just as responsible for what she did !!! Such Bullcrap!!

ninabonita73 April 18 2014 at 11:38 AM

I cannot believe that this. this is not justice for the families of all the woman that died. I am outraged! totaly wrong, so much for justice. I cannot believe it! Just canot say it enough.

eecenod ninabonita73 April 18 2014 at 12:03 PM

elect more democrats...let them create czars for all endeavors...bypass the constitution, bypass laws
and morality, just make money so we can buy more votes to keep this wagon rolling!~!!!!!! DEMOCRATS
DO NOT CONCERN THEMSELVES WITH JUSTICE, IF THEY DID THEY WOULD IMPEACH OUR SITTING
PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chuck April 18 2014 at 6:31 PM

what is her problem and why didnt she get life for murder? it was her fault for the deaths

sixalot April 18 2014 at 6:29 PM

There are way too many questions on this story. I am a Radiologic TECHNOLOGIST , while I don't do mammograms I've never heard of a tech responsible for reading or giving results of any medical imaging study. I practice in NY , is GA different? The only techs that have any lead way giving impressions are ultrasound techs. How were these studies never read by a radiologist? How is the employer not liable? Most facilities are digital, how do 1200 exams escape review from a doctor? How does no one else get held accountable? Makes no sense to me.

coosbaywuerths April 18 2014 at 11:38 AM

She'll be spending six months in a state detention center WHEN SPACE IS AVAILABLE? What a system we have. It makes me sick.

Sarah Mae April 18 2014 at 11:39 AM

What about the DOCTOR who is also suppose to over look the results and tell the patients the outcome. I dont work in the medical field but I have had a lot of testing done and my ultrasound tech has always told me she is not allowed to tell me the results (good or bad) and the doctor has to go over them and my doctor has always been the one and only person to update me on my test results reguardless of the outcome. I know if I knew my doctor was leaving all the work he was suppose to be doing 2everyone else I would not want to be under the care of a carless doctor like that. So the doctor is only suppose to over look test results that only look positive? That dont seem right to me at all.....Shouldnt the doctor(s) overlook all test results for each patient reguardless???

Angie April 18 2014 at 11:40 AM

I am a xray tech. Out of all the radiologic exams that are done, mammography is the one with the most quality control/quality assurance. The techs have more training, the radiologists reading mammos have more training, the hospital has stricter QA procedures for the mammo machines, and separate accreditations from the state and ACR (American College of Radiology that accredits facilities). Its such a shame that all the QA measures put into place were totally ignored by everyone, not just the mammo tech. The tech should not be allowed to work ever. The hospital should lose its accreditation and be sanction. The radiologists should be sued too for negligence. I do think the tech should be punished, but she should not be the only one. This is a multi fold failure on everyone's part.

Angie Angie April 18 2014 at 11:42 AM

AND, i don't know how the tech falsified results, when it is supposed to go to the radiologist for interpretation. It is not the technologists job to interpret mammos and provide results. There is more to this story than just the technologist performing a criminal act.

eecenod Angie April 18 2014 at 11:55 AM

complete agreement...the radiologist should be relieved of his/her duties and barred from the money
making goldmine in his/her field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve April 18 2014 at 6:29 PM

I agree with other responses. If there was ever an appropriate application of the death penalty, this is the case.

jdpunches April 18 2014 at 11:41 AM

She lead to the death of someone from intentional negligence and can work in the field again? This wasn't a mistake she did it knowing what she was doing.

eecenod jdpunches April 18 2014 at 11:53 AM

she can NOT work in health care for the next TEN YEARS!!!!