Students on board sinking ferry sent heartbreaking texts

Students On Board Sinking Ferry Sent Heartbreaking Texts

Several of the hundreds of students trapped in the sinking ferry that capsized off the coast of South Korea Wednesday sent desperate texts to their anxious parents - and the messages are heartbreaking.

ABC reports one 18-year-old woman writing to her father, 'Dad, don't worry, I've got a life vest on and we're huddled together.' She's still among the missing.

Officials told the BBC 179 passengers have been rescued from the wreckage, but nearly 300 others have yet to be found by emergency crews frantically searching the waters for survivors.

Al Jazeera notes most of the 475 passengers on board the ferry were students from Danwon High School in Ansan.

According to several media outlets, many of the students texted their families and friends while the ferry was going down.

South Korean media outlet The Kyunghyang Shinmun got a hold of this screen shot of an emotional exchange between a student on board and his mother. He said, "Mom, I'm sending this message now in case I don't get to say it later: I love you."

And Arirang reports another passenger messaged his father once he was trapped. He responded, "I know help is on the way, but if possible, get outside." The son texted back, "No, Dad, I can't, the ferry is too tilted. There are no kids out in the hallways."

MSNBC reports Other parents reported receiving texts from their children saying they were alive - but it was unclear if those students were rescued at the time.

These desperate messages illustrate the chaos and confusion as the hundreds on board the ferry scrambled to get to safety before it sank.

Fox News reports it's still unclear exactly what happened to make the ship capsize so quickly and suddenly, but survivors say they heard a loud bang just before it began to sink.

Passengers were reportedly told to stay where they were as the ferry started to go down instead of grabbing life vests and jumping into the ocean - an order that may have cost some their lives.

And according to CNN, only one of the ship's 46 lifeboats deployed during the incident. The outlet has not independently confirmed the report but cites YTN as a source.

The captain of the ferry is currently being investigated by police, and he broke down in tears when reporters questioned him about the tragedy. Nine people on board have been officially declared dead. That number is expected to rise.

vicmaclemo April 17 2014 at 1:43 PM

HEART BREAKING

kolander71 April 17 2014 at 1:09 PM

All I can say is our PRAYERS ARE WITH ALL OF THE FAMIES AFFECTED BY THIS HORRIFIC SITUATION.....

FROM THE EDWARDS FAMILY IN CALIFORNIA!

Cristina April 17 2014 at 1:08 PM

If I was on a sinking ship, Harleydakotadog would steal my life jacket and knock other people out of his way to save himself. I'm hoping for survivors. And I'm hoping for more heroes in the world. We have enough asses.

eas1949 April 17 2014 at 1:07 PM

It's very easy to point a finger, but I'm certain that the Captain and his crew were caught by surprise when they found that they no longer had control of this vessel.
I recall the years that I spent in the U.S. Navy, and the emphasis placed on emergency procedures in the event of a problem such as what this vessel encountered. Had such procedures been in place, this incident would have been a minor mishap, and last page news in the newspaper. As it stands, for lack of ANY procedure, the Captain and his crew could be charged with manslaughter.
It's a shame that so many young people have to loose their lives before the "intelligent" adults get their heads out of their asses.

God is Good April 17 2014 at 1:02 PM

In reading some of these replies. There are some real psychotic folk running around loose ... pretending to be human. You know "exactly" who you are....READ your own response! SICK.

rktan April 17 2014 at 12:59 PM

Maybe like in Poseiden Adventure there are survivors trapped in the high part of the inverted hull, and can still be rescued.

fordattila April 17 2014 at 12:58 PM

I too am feeling sorry for these unfortunate young people and sympathy for their families.

KatiaOne April 17 2014 at 12:42 PM

Heartbreaking. Still hopeful. Prayers for the victims and their families. A tragedy for the nation and the world of humanity. :-(

acowgurl April 17 2014 at 12:40 PM

It's not often that a news story moves me to tears, but this truly makes my heart ache. Everything about it is so wrong, on so many levels... All of those promising young lives, about to step out into the world. Words can't express the depths of my sympathy for these families.
Where were the emergency procedures? This is nothing less than criminal. There needs to be accountability here.

Yo acowgurl April 17 2014 at 12:41 PM

the government is responsible. they have made it their job to oversee everything

decrease April 17 2014 at 12:39 PM

Seems to be an unnecessary horible tragedy