Iranian killer's execution stopped by victim's parents

Iranian Killer Spared Execution When Victim's Mother Forgives

The execution of an Iranian convicted of murder was halted at the very last minute in a dramatic scene this week when the mother of his victim forgave him as he stood on the gallows with the noose around his neck, according to Iranian media.

The convict, identified by his first name Bilal, had been sentenced to death for killing a teenager, Abdollah Hosseinzadeh, during a street fight in the market of the northern Iranian town of Nour seven years ago, the ISNA news agency reported. At the time, both Bilal and Hosseinzadeh were around 17 years old, ISNA said.

Bilal was brought blindfolded to the site of his planned execution Tuesday in a town square. He was stood on a chair on the gallows and the noose was put on his neck, according to pictures of the scene published by ISNA.

But at the last minute, Hosseinzadeh's mother, Samereh Alinejad, forgave him, after giving a speech to the crowd and then slapping Bilal in the face. Hosseinzadeh's father helped take the noose off of Bilal, whose weeping mother hugged Alinejad in thanks, as seen in the photos.

Hosseinzadeh's family had come under calls by famous artists, soccer coaches and town residents to pardon Bilal and accept blood money instead of execution, a provision allowed to victim's families under Iranian law. Bilal was a student of Hosseinzadeh's father, a well-known former local soccer player who now coaches the sport. Even an episode of a popular sports program on Iranian state television had urged the family to forgive Bilal the day before his planned execution.

Alinejad told the Shargh newspaper in an interview published Thursday that she resisted the pressure, including from her own family. She and her husband, who also have a daughter, lost another son who was killed in a car crash years earlier.

She told Shargh that her son Abdollah appeared to her in a dream and asked her to forgive his killer, and still she was reluctant. She said that in her speech at the gallows, she scolded the crowd for pressuring her to forgive, saying: "Do you know what I have gone through all these years and how my life became like poison?"

But after Bilal pleaded to her - and she slapped him - "I felt at ease" and forgave him, she said.

Bilal will serve a prison sentence instead of being executed, according to the newspaper.

Iran has the second highest number of executions in the world - 369 in 2013 - after China, according to Amnesty International.

faithrada April 17 2014 at 8:29 PM

There is hope for this world yet. There really are those who understand the true teachings of God/Allah AND have the strength to put them into practice. Blessings on that woman and her family.

greenima April 17 2014 at 2:59 PM

I cannot forgive the drs responsible for giving my son the wrong diagnosis and wrong medication. If they had paid attention to me. Not ignored me . It would been different. It was like premeditated. If my son had been killed in a fight etc I could see the difference.
\

gov111w greenima April 17 2014 at 3:04 PM

Perhaps you should have Doctored him yourself !!

shaunreen April 18 2014 at 5:05 AM

Islam...religion of "peace". Tell that to Reyhaneh Jabbari. How can a religion that loves it's Father be so cruel to the women that allow them to populate the world?

Tane shaunreen April 18 2014 at 6:40 AM

As a Christian, I can say that we might speak of the peacefulness of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, and a lot of organized religions and there would sure be plenty of mud to sling.

kimcrdr April 17 2014 at 5:22 PM

wow, bless this woman for she has way more love and compassion than I ever would have toward someone who murdered my child, I believe I would have been the one wanting to put the noose around his neck and he couldn't climbed on the stool fast enough!

ggena April 17 2014 at 4:38 PM

No, I don't know if this was love or god at work. I think this pressure from others. It clearly says, she was pressured. It clearly says, she didn't want to do this, yet maybe this dream, concocted or real, helped with the pressure. I'm confused with this story and wonder what pressure this woman was under?

dodgerelvis ggena April 17 2014 at 4:44 PM

STOPPING JUDGING EVERYONE YOU PEOPLE

Say NO to libs! April 17 2014 at 3:47 PM

This is the way executions should be handled. Leave it to the victim's loved ones to push the chair (fire the bullet, push the plunger etc.). I believe I would have done the same in this case. 2 teens involved in a street fight it could just have easily been her son in the noose and this man's Mother deciding their fate instead. I'm glad she was able to feel peace with her decision and I hope she can bring her life back to some kind of normalcy now.

gov111w April 17 2014 at 3:03 PM

Sounds like where this county is going, money instead of Justice !!!!

ht4cycle gov111w April 17 2014 at 3:11 PM

Learn your history. This has been going on longer than the United States has been the United States. He will still be in prison the rest of his life. And their prisons are not nice places at all. They don't have rights and cable tv.

Apon Bhubon April 18 2014 at 4:45 AM

Nothing is better than this on the part of a grieving mother who can feel deep in her heart the blessing from heaven. Islam approved rules are nothing but blessing from heaven. Life for life may sound different, but every life is precious. Killers take the life and should face the same consequence unless the family not a court, forgives. If the last part was not there- Islam would not be accepted as the religion of peace. Practicing forgiveness is strongly encouraged in Islam.

tzulu11953 April 17 2014 at 5:22 PM

If the crime is proven then do the deed.the only problem to me is, was the circumstances of the crime factual in that government ? They hang a tremendous amount of people over there for less. I rather trust the faith of the mothers forgiveness than the governments audience to watch an execution in the streets

hello, laura April 17 2014 at 4:13 PM

Wow, crazy place. But the US is also known for its executions, particularly places like Texas.

ddeanrivera hello, laura April 17 2014 at 4:19 PM

Great job Texas!

eagle6922 hello, laura April 17 2014 at 4:38 PM

Teaxs and Florida execute more people than any other state, whether they do find out the inmate is innocent. This has happened so many times. But, gov's Rick Perry/Scott could care less.