Iranian killer's execution stopped by victim's parents

Iranian Killer Spared Execution When Victim's Mother Forgives

The execution of an Iranian convicted of murder was halted at the very last minute in a dramatic scene this week when the mother of his victim forgave him as he stood on the gallows with the noose around his neck, according to Iranian media.

The convict, identified by his first name Bilal, had been sentenced to death for killing a teenager, Abdollah Hosseinzadeh, during a street fight in the market of the northern Iranian town of Nour seven years ago, the ISNA news agency reported. At the time, both Bilal and Hosseinzadeh were around 17 years old, ISNA said.

Bilal was brought blindfolded to the site of his planned execution Tuesday in a town square. He was stood on a chair on the gallows and the noose was put on his neck, according to pictures of the scene published by ISNA.

But at the last minute, Hosseinzadeh's mother, Samereh Alinejad, forgave him, after giving a speech to the crowd and then slapping Bilal in the face. Hosseinzadeh's father helped take the noose off of Bilal, whose weeping mother hugged Alinejad in thanks, as seen in the photos.

Hosseinzadeh's family had come under calls by famous artists, soccer coaches and town residents to pardon Bilal and accept blood money instead of execution, a provision allowed to victim's families under Iranian law. Bilal was a student of Hosseinzadeh's father, a well-known former local soccer player who now coaches the sport. Even an episode of a popular sports program on Iranian state television had urged the family to forgive Bilal the day before his planned execution.

Alinejad told the Shargh newspaper in an interview published Thursday that she resisted the pressure, including from her own family. She and her husband, who also have a daughter, lost another son who was killed in a car crash years earlier.

She told Shargh that her son Abdollah appeared to her in a dream and asked her to forgive his killer, and still she was reluctant. She said that in her speech at the gallows, she scolded the crowd for pressuring her to forgive, saying: "Do you know what I have gone through all these years and how my life became like poison?"

But after Bilal pleaded to her - and she slapped him - "I felt at ease" and forgave him, she said.

Bilal will serve a prison sentence instead of being executed, according to the newspaper.

Iran has the second highest number of executions in the world - 369 in 2013 - after China, according to Amnesty International.

gov111w April 17 2014 at 3:03 PM

Sounds like where this county is going, money instead of Justice !!!!

ht4cycle gov111w April 17 2014 at 3:11 PM

Learn your history. This has been going on longer than the United States has been the United States. He will still be in prison the rest of his life. And their prisons are not nice places at all. They don't have rights and cable tv.

Say NO to libs! April 17 2014 at 3:47 PM

This is the way executions should be handled. Leave it to the victim's loved ones to push the chair (fire the bullet, push the plunger etc.). I believe I would have done the same in this case. 2 teens involved in a street fight it could just have easily been her son in the noose and this man's Mother deciding their fate instead. I'm glad she was able to feel peace with her decision and I hope she can bring her life back to some kind of normalcy now.

Maggie April 17 2014 at 7:45 PM

Two teenage boys fighting, one dying during the fight ... I do not agree with the death penalty in this case. I applaud the victim's mother for her strength in allowing the person who took her son's life to continue with his. I imagine prison conditions in Iran must be a far cry from those in the western world.

Margaret April 17 2014 at 11:02 PM

wow hat off to her. Don't think I would have responded the same way.

kingofswords72 Margaret April 17 2014 at 11:15 PM

It's not like it was an adult convicted of premeditated murder. They boys were both 17 years old and got in a fight, on killed the other. In the U.S. that's usually manslaughter - about 5 years in prison.

cf77777 April 17 2014 at 11:16 PM

My son, who was my first born and best friend was murdered when he was 19. I decided to forgive the boy who killed him. The boy got 50 years, but most likely will serve 30, he went in when he was 22. He's been locked up since May , 1991.
I realized that holding on to anger and hate would only make me a bitter, hateful and unhappy woman, who would most likely get sick from all the negativity. I had the choice NOT to be that way! I have wrote the boy and told him I forgiven him and requested he learn a trade so that when he gets out he can make a living and not end up back in prison. He has wrote me to say he was sorry too. I TRULY DID FORGIVE HIM and it did so much to make me FREE!!!

tzulu11953 April 17 2014 at 5:22 PM

If the crime is proven then do the deed.the only problem to me is, was the circumstances of the crime factual in that government ? They hang a tremendous amount of people over there for less. I rather trust the faith of the mothers forgiveness than the governments audience to watch an execution in the streets

JO-ANNE April 17 2014 at 8:46 PM

TO FORGIVE IS A VIRTUE

gjou195154 JO-ANNE April 17 2014 at 8:54 PM

no it is not a virtue it is a weakness

goldacane gjou195154 April 17 2014 at 9:04 PM

Forgiving is easy, it's just a word. Forgetting is not possible, you experienced something and it stays in your brain forever.

Flag 0 rate up
kathrinemeyer JO-ANNE April 17 2014 at 9:08 PM

To forgive is to allow the perpatrator to abuse any potiential victims he has now and in the future .

Marie Speranza April 17 2014 at 7:41 PM

...where there is life there is hope...she forgave, for the missing part of herself...her son, that was taken...As a mother, I am sure she also felt sorrow for his mother.... as both are forever in grief... There is anger, loss, grief, confusion, tragedy...and there is a mother in deep pain...may God Bless Mothers and Fathers--May his memory caress her. He lives on in her heart. May kindness prevail in the world and Peace be something we strive for...

obxfrogguy Marie Speranza April 17 2014 at 8:33 PM

Thank you for your kind words in this sea of hate and revenge. The World needs many more people like you. When I see comments like yours I feel bad about some of the comment that I make.

kimcrdr April 17 2014 at 5:22 PM

wow, bless this woman for she has way more love and compassion than I ever would have toward someone who murdered my child, I believe I would have been the one wanting to put the noose around his neck and he couldn't climbed on the stool fast enough!

hughes5050 April 17 2014 at 10:54 PM

Aloha you and people like you are what is wrong with this country. Ideals are great but do not for one second believe that you or anyone else can live by them in such a cruel world. It appears that you will need to suffer a cruel loss before you understand how the family of a murdered victim feels. For your sake I hope that never happens to you. As far as people eating animals, good luck with that.

flagag hughes5050 April 17 2014 at 11:03 PM