Harry Connick, Jr. refuses to give standing ovations

Harry Connick, Jr. Refuses To Give 'Idol' Contestant Standing Ovation

On "American Idol," Jena Irene closed out the show -- and brought down the house -- with her take on Radiohead's "Creep."

The performance earned Jena a standing ovation from the judges. Well, almost. Harry Connick, Jr., refused to clap or stand for the singer, even though he called her performance "the best" of the night. Harry defended his choice not to join Jennifer Lopez and Keith Urban when they stood, saying he's there to judge, not be a fan, and won't stand or clap for any of the contestants.

Still, Hollywood Life declared Jena the clear frontrunner after her show-closing performance and USA Today agreed, giving Jena's performance an "A."

Carol Gutierrez April 17 2014 at 2:35 PM

I agree with Harry...he is a judge and his job is to judge with his words. By giving a contestant a standing ovation, the judges are stepping out of their job description. They also could sway some of the votes by these actions. A standing ovation for all of the contestants by the judges is a huge support for their talent and efforts, but individually they are showing their preferences.

queencelt April 17 2014 at 10:55 AM

The standing ovation is so overused, it has become meaningless.

fxlr3 April 17 2014 at 10:54 AM

Harry Connick JR. is a REAL musician. The dude can flat out play and sing. Reads Music writes music And I mean music not chords .....

kgunfever fxlr3 April 17 2014 at 10:56 AM

r u hard of hearing

Barbara April 17 2014 at 10:54 AM

I wouldn't stand either, this has to be the worst bunch of singers yet. The ones that are fairly good and don't yell and scream are put down by the judges. The judges keep praising that gal and Caleb because they are their favorites. The one girl with the colored hair to me has the best voice yet the judges put her down every week not fair. I can't see any of them being an idol. What's with the dressing? They all look like they dressed from a thrift store except CJ and the other country guy. I hope people ignore the judges remarks and vote for who they think is best and I don't think that jenna gal is. She acts like she's already won because of the way the judges rave about her...If they can't be nice to the others shame on them.....

evonie55 April 17 2014 at 10:51 AM

bravo harry. stand on what you believe.

skywalkerflutes April 17 2014 at 10:50 AM

I think Harry is the only one to give honest helpful advice to the contestants. That's what they are there for, isn't it? Jennifer can sway the voters by who she chooses to like. After all, does anyone ever sing as off key as CJ? and still get Jennifer to swoon? Please!!!! Listen to Harry!!

bkdaniele April 17 2014 at 10:46 AM

I totally agree with Harry. I applaud him for being a JUDGE, not a fan. The judges are to give their opinions and help, but a standing ovation by the judges for a contestant I feel is WRONG.
Go Harry!!!!!

onewithzen51353 April 17 2014 at 10:42 AM

i totally agree with him in the fact that he is a judge and is not supposed to show bias towards any contestant. the voters should decide the outcome not the judges. everyone cant act like a 16 year old like lopez.

jeffweatherill April 17 2014 at 3:38 PM

He said that from the very beginning. He would not clap or give a standing ovation. No one should be surprised. I admire him sticking to his words & his restraint.

F. J. Rizzo April 17 2014 at 3:43 PM

Jennifer lopez is one of the 2 stooges as a judge on Ido along with Kieth Urban,I back Harry 100% he is a judge not a fan