Couple finds love letter from WWI in their attic

Couple Finds Love Letters From WWI In Attic

During a remodeling project, an Indiana couple found love letters dating back to World War I tucked away in their attic. WISH reports that while "renovating their house in Jasper, the couple found the letters in their attic insulation. The letters were written by a soldier preparing to fight in World War I."

The contractor Phil Mathies, hired to begin work upstairs, had pulled the letters out of the couple's attic while he rewired the room. WFIE reports the letters piqued Phil, his wife, and his sister's interest and, of course, they started reading them.

Phil and his sister Barbara decided they had to find Clements' relatives. Since he was from Jasper, there was a small chance some of his family could still be living there.

The couple published some of the letters in their local paper The Herald. One read, "... you are closer than ever to me, for every day, I long for you more and more. Well darling it's no use to write you of this for this is what I want and it's you and you only and that thought will remain with me till the last."

And that small chance soon became a reality. Sisters Mary McCune and Nancy Teder are the soldier's nieces. They still live in Jasper and were extremely surprised to see the letters published in the paper.

No one knows how the letters wound up in the attic in the first place. McCune and Teder plan on passing them down to their grandchildren.

bryndafam April 17 2014 at 5:14 PM

Letter writing is a lost art. My children and grandchildren will never be able to pull out a letter and show it to their children. Maybe they can find something on a computer but it may only say I lv u or lol or omg.

LevaCar bryndafam April 17 2014 at 6:04 PM

Not really lost, so much as not taught. My wife complained to our daughter that our grandson never answered her letters when he was in basic training. My daughters response was that he couldn't read them, because they never taught writing in cursive in any of the schoo;s he went to. He can't even "write" his own name, only print it.

arkfault bryndafam April 17 2014 at 7:26 PM

but we have better schools!!!!! better teachers!!!!! bullshit they just teaching kids to condone everything gov does.

arkfault April 17 2014 at 12:19 PM

this is really the dough boy's generation lost to us. to day we have recording machines, dvd. i pod.ect. this gerneration had stamps. they also had much more love in their relationships. this is really wonderful to see. yet also sad, my guess is this poor fellow died for our freedom. i'll beat aunt mary cried a many of nights. so remember this feel was a true wor hero even if he never got a metal he has a gold heart. thank you anut mary i am sure you saved these letters for us.

Wm Good April 18 2014 at 1:34 AM

A really wonderful story. I read once aboiut an Italian emigrant who was a fish monger in New York in the 1920's who returned to Italy for a visit andon the boat going over he lost a valuable family ring that had slipped off his finger and fell into the ocean. Years later and back at his fish market he was fileting a fish when he hit something hard. Guess what it was!!?? His thumb.

fuzzy1glor Wm Good April 18 2014 at 1:43 AM

lol

rockham 2 April 17 2014 at 12:40 PM

I wrote love letters daily to my wife,during time in service,ww11,from Okinowa.Dont believe it was unusual,how ever,I believe they were destroyed.

Shirley Combs April 17 2014 at 8:16 PM

WOW that is one thing you don't hear about very often, Love letters.

walden25 April 17 2014 at 11:41 PM

Finally....a wonderful story that unites humanity....even though it did center around war. That is love American style....that's me and you.

Dale + Cathy = L April 17 2014 at 12:57 PM

RE: Teder told WFIE "It was just an amazing find ... Those letters really convey what he lived in his life and how he felt about our aunt Mary."
Makes it clear he survived the war. I am happy to hear of such well preserved moments in history. My wife, before we were married, also wrote to me everyday like this! It was an encouragement to be careful, while safety was being tossed to the wind by so many. The survivors were often the most effective, as they lived to fight again and again.

Pearltrans Dale + Cathy = L April 17 2014 at 3:44 PM

Were the letters addressed to Mary?

theomegaman72 April 17 2014 at 1:23 PM

Guess it would be too much trouble to include some brief information on what happened with the soldier after the war, when he died, etc ?

umpire255 April 17 2014 at 11:36 AM

really cool. so much bad news these days, this is a breath of fresh air.

Connie April 17 2014 at 12:54 PM

I am so glad this couple made the effort to find family members, these, I am sure, are priceless to them!

World Series