Ultimate Warrior died from cardiovascular disease

PHOENIX (AP) -- Authorities in Phoenix say former pro wrestler The Ultimate Warrior died of cardiovascular disease.

Maricopa County spokeswoman Cari Gerchick says that's the finding from an autopsy conducted Thursday by the county Medical Examiner's Office.

The 54-year-old wrestler's given name was James Hellwig. He collapsed April 8 while walking with his wife to their car at a Scottsdale hotel and was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Scottsdale police have said there were no signs of foul play.

The Ultimate Warrior was one of pro wrestling's biggest stars in the late 1980s.

Ultimate Warrior Autopsy Reveals Cause of Death

madkono April 16 2014 at 12:30 PM

i'm so glad he and vince resolved their issues!!! at least he was there for his induction!!! my heart goes out to his wife and daughters!!!

caw24769 April 16 2014 at 12:22 PM

i have heard of hyper-active people, that is people who exercise alot, not ADHD, often live shorter lives, because of all the strain they put on thier heart over the years. still doesnt explain how much warrior will be missed, GOD bless you and your family.

Dave April 16 2014 at 12:21 PM

Thanks for the autopsy report, Dr. Feelgood!! I am sure Vince McMann didn't pay you to do this report or anything like that. I think we all have a pretty good idea that ROIDS were the cause. You can call me Dr. Pepper!!!

tcwaterland Dave April 16 2014 at 12:26 PM

I was thinking the same thing...............I hope I'm wrong!!!!

fawazblueme April 16 2014 at 12:21 PM

I was so happy when this icon surfaced for the WWE all of fame induction after all this year. He was one of my favorite ever. My heart was broken, shut of words. My the LORD ALMIGHTY COMFORT ALL HIS LOVE ONES. I am so so sad.

epcedartown April 16 2014 at 3:34 PM

I REMEMBER HIM SINCE I WAS YOUNG. MY BEST FRIEND AND I HAD BEEN MEET AT CARROLLTON, GA TO WATCH HIM WRESTLING. HE WAS SO NICE TO US AND HE WAS FINE YOUNG MAN.. HE ALSO TALKED TO US VERY NICE AND MANNER. HE HAD NEVER RUDE US BECAUSE HE KNEW THAT WE ARE DEAF AND WANTED US TO BE HIS GOOD FRIEND. I AM SURELY THAT WE MISSED HIM. GOD BLESS HIM... HE WILL BE SURELY MISSED.. ELAINE PORTERFIELD

tubajew April 16 2014 at 12:18 PM

More steroids please.

wolfecane April 16 2014 at 12:16 PM

That is the downside of steroid use.

anirschl wolfecane April 16 2014 at 12:20 PM

Thanks again for the diagnosis doc! Maybe you can attest to his teeth always being so white because he used dental steroids too!

don anirschl June 23 2014 at 4:40 PM

LOL...or the use of toothpaste on a regular basis?

Flag 0 rate up
sturgeonmaws wolfecane April 16 2014 at 12:27 PM

It`s also possible his diet had something to do with it. When you consume 300 or more grams of animal protein a day......it has to take a toll eventually. Most in the body building world consumes huge amounts of protein on a daily basis. Not possible to get that big on just soy protein supplements alone .

didonato4 April 16 2014 at 12:14 PM

I loved the Warrior! Will miss him and all the other WWE wrestlers who have died too early. Very sad.

PAPO April 16 2014 at 12:14 PM

RIP,GOD BLESS!!!.

mramirez258 April 16 2014 at 3:47 PM

wheter or not he did steroides he was a good man a father and a hero to maney he will be missed and like he said his fans will always be little warriors rip my hero