Ford to offer 50th anniversary Mustang

Apr. 16, 2014 11:05 AM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) - Ford is building a limited-edition Mustang GT to honor the pony car's 50th anniversary.

The company will only build 1,964 special cars, honoring the year when the Mustang first went on sale.

The automaker is also celebrating the anniversary of the Mustang in New York, where the car was first displayed at the 1964 World's Fair.

It's displaying a Mustang on the 86th floor observation deck of the Empire State Building. It's the first time that has been done since 1965, when Ford put a Mustang convertible there.

This time, it's repeating the stunt with a bright yellow 2015 Mustang convertible.

The car had to be broken down for the ride up the building's elevators and reassembled late at night, when the deck is closed to visitors. It will be on display until Friday.

The 50 Year Limited Edition models will come in one of the two colors of Ford's logo: white or blue. Buyers can choose a manual or automatic transmission.

There are special chrome highlights around the grille, windows and tail lights. The Limited Edition will also be the only 2015 Mustang with a faux gas cap badge on the rear, where the original cap sat.

Limited Edition cars will be among the first built when 2015 Mustang production begins later this year.

Ford is also showing the Limited Edition at the New York auto show, which begins this week. Pricing wasn't announced. The Mustang's starting price in 1964: $2,300.

powellpewter April 16 2014 at 5:20 PM

Mustangs are AWESOME ! I love them all! Yes even the MustangII.

kevinpkirsch April 16 2014 at 1:24 PM

Still have my 64.5 630,000 miles later (almost original engine which was swapped out a month after it was purchased with a 200). I am finally rebuilding it and with luck will be back on the road this fall. Straight 6 automatic, no options except radio, totalled 4 times during it's life and had many adventures. Bought it new used. Was a sample car of the dealership for people to test drive. Got it for $990 after the 65's came out

fifiwereking kevinpkirsch April 16 2014 at 3:55 PM

good for you... i was a mere toddler when the mustang came out, but my oldest brother had one... great memories of him at the wheel wearing one of my little girl hats and providing coverage "here's mario andretti, zooming round the track....."

Janet kevinpkirsch April 16 2014 at 4:17 PM

You're a genius and know a good thing when you had it. Bravo! You kept a car I've always wanted. :-)

Joey April 16 2014 at 1:35 PM

The low production numbers makes them instant and automatic collectors only models, freezing out the true Mustang fans.

They just "don't get it" If they just did a production run of the original 64-65-66 models they could sell lthem all .

Kathy Gergen April 16 2014 at 5:42 PM

My very first car was a blue 1966 Mustang. I loved that car.

FreedomRat April 16 2014 at 2:19 PM

I wish they would build exact duplicates of the 1965 models instead. I'd buy a hardtop and a ragtop. Red and Blue.

Pllc15 April 16 2014 at 2:21 PM

I've not had many tragedies in life except for one when I traded in my 4-on-the-floor 1969 Mach I with a 428 Cobra Jet engine. It was pure stock vintage with no power steering, brakes and A/C. Just a pure muscle car. I was proud of the fact that I could handle it in SF on an incline waiting for the lights to change without backing into the car behind me. I bought it for $3700 in 1969. It had an astounding 450 torque lbs thrust for those days , more than my present Corvette (340 torque lbs). I still regret not having it today.

Janet Pllc15 April 16 2014 at 4:10 PM

Why did you sell it? I always wanted a 1965 red Mustang Convertible, black interior but never could afford one. Now I read all ya'll who had the Vintage Classics from the 60's, who sold their car. Again, where was I when you did. Bummer!

lswblk April 16 2014 at 2:57 PM

My first car, at sixteen, was a 4yr old red Mustang 2+2 fastback...oh, if only...if only...if only.............

Don lswblk April 16 2014 at 3:21 PM

I ordered my 64 & half Mustang the morning they came out Red with red interior, rally pack, spinner hubs, 289 with 4 on the floor, Best car I ever owned. Your right. If only, if only. Had to be a very low production number. No VIN's then

Janet Don April 16 2014 at 4:06 PM

Did you sell it? Oh man, where was I when you did!

Flag 0 rate up
jrb359 April 16 2014 at 6:55 PM

1964 to 1971 were the best years for cars. Of course they were the years of the "Muscle Car". Each company was trying to outdo the other, which benefited the auto enthusist t These care had the best styling, atractive colors, and lots of horse power. Today, they want to push an electric car or something ugly that is an embarassment to drive and be seen in. They truely were "The good old days".

Big Al April 16 2014 at 6:54 PM

I HAD A 1969 RED MAC 1,I DRIVE IT TO MY JOB AT 45 WALL STREET ON NOV 1968 AND PARKED IT ALL DAY....AND DIDNOT GET A TICKET...I MISS THE HIGH1111111111111

flyboy April 16 2014 at 3:40 PM

I served in the Royal Canadian Air Force with reserve squadrons in Montreal. In the early 1960's (circa 62 - 63) one of our pilots (Who were all civilan pilots that flew for TWA, CP, AA etc [except for three regular officers]) drove into the hangar with this beaut (I think it was dark blue) convertable car. The ground crew gathered round to look at our first Mustang. It's changed over the years but that first Mustang has never been beaten for looks by any of the following Mustangs.