Recycling plant worker finds $16K in trashed safe

Recycling Plant Worker Finds $16k In Thrown Out Safe

One man's trash really is another man's treasure. Just ask the Norwegian man who works at a recycling plant and found thousands of dollars in a safe someone had thrown out.

According to Norway's VG News, 22-year-old John Erik Tveitdal is an excavator operator at a recycling facility, and one day he noticed a safe that had been dumped at the site. He told the paper, "'Suppose there is a million in there,' I joked to a colleague, but I never thought there would be any money in a safe someone had thrown away."

So at the end of his shift, Tveitdal decided to find out. He used his excavator, and managed to rip off the front of the safe. Inside were six bags of cash with a total of 117,000 kroner, or $16,000.

The recycling plant worker admits his first thought was to use the money for a vacation with his wife, but ultimately the safe's original owner was tracked down and the money was returned.

And this isn't the first time money has been found at a dump. Back in 2012, a Massachusetts man found $20,000 inside of a hollowed out book. The man says he tried to find the original owner.

SKCRCPUSCG April 15 2014 at 7:39 PM

A real test of one's sense of honesty when it's so easy to rationalize losers weepers finders keepers.

madambijou4u SKCRCPUSCG April 15 2014 at 8:27 PM

Really?????? Life is too short....do the right thing and you will never be wrong

lady4dogs April 15 2014 at 5:09 PM

Renews my faith in human kind.............. some people are honest.

gserlin lady4dogs April 15 2014 at 5:32 PM

It is easier to be honest in a case such as this, if you have no financial worries.

chuckhalper gserlin April 15 2014 at 5:59 PM

Its really simple for those with a moral compass that works ---don' take something that isn't yours, and don't let anyone else take something from you that isn't theirs...The value is not relevent.

Flag +1 rate up
sebastiandunbar April 15 2014 at 5:10 PM

The gubmint will take their "fair" share no doubt

Karen April 15 2014 at 9:18 PM

Recently I found a young girls wallet in the middle of a busy street...I and trace her down and found her to return it...all I could think of was the agony of canceling credit card, new ID, getting drivers license...ect.....turns out she left it on top the car while pumping gas....was so happy I could help her...no reward was necessary........my son was lucky in lower Manhatten when he lost his wallet and a few days later it arrived in his mail...intact....honesty does pay off.

sherry4sue April 15 2014 at 3:29 PM

When I was 17 yo I found a wallet filled with cash, checks, ID, etc. We called the owner, waited half an hour for them to pick up wallet intact. Owner looked at me and asked if I sole it from her!!! and left with no reward for me..........

gramargo sherry4sue April 15 2014 at 5:08 PM

Now that was just plain rude of the owner. Did she think someone who stole her wallet would have called her so she could pick it up? Sorry you were treated so badly, but I think she was a rarity. Most people would have been grateful.

ceecee sherry4sue April 15 2014 at 5:15 PM

WHy would you expect a reward for doing the right thing? This person accusing you was wrong, but you expecting a reward for returning what was not yours is wrong too. And I doubt if this happened, because she/he would KNOW you did not steal it because you called and returned it..>I assume you made it up.

tysemperfi April 15 2014 at 5:12 PM

nice catch.

hey April 15 2014 at 9:27 PM

I hope he gets a reward

hey April 15 2014 at 9:33 PM

we found a wallet in a parking lot , there was 40$ and not much id but there was a bank card so I called that bank and was told the young man was actually there right then to cancel the card, when he and his friends came to get it one of them said there was 40$ in there and it had better be there now, of course the money was there , I did,nt go to all that trouble to steal his money. I told them to get off my property

VALERIE ZOE hey April 15 2014 at 9:50 PM

the owner of that wallet did not display appreciation nor gratitude. the $40 better be there or what? was he going to attack you for his own negligence, considering any one may have come across the wallet before you found it & just took the cash, not wanting to risk credit card tracing. It's a shame you were not given recognition for your good deed.

ChingOW Mango hey April 15 2014 at 10:22 PM

Ungrateful bastards! That is my point exactly about how cheap and stupid people are when rewarding someone when they return a lost item! Imagine the nerve of them saying that to you! Arses!

coptazlou April 15 2014 at 9:38 PM

More crappy reportin. They never asked or stated how the safe ended up there? Why did the guy get rid of it?

tstang41 April 15 2014 at 3:03 PM

I found a wallet floating in a creek we were play in,Took it to the concession stand they announced over the intercom that if you lost your wallet come to the concession and we will check your licence,someone told my dad I had found it and he walked over about the time the man who lost it walked up,They gave him his wallet and the first thing out of his mouth was he had 345.00 in it how much did you steal,My Dad snatched the wallet out of his hand took a 20 out of it then looked at the man and said 20 dollars handed it to me and the man ran off bought a lot of candy that day!

fwlrcj tstang41 April 15 2014 at 3:10 PM

Isn't that always the way. He lost his wallet and wanted people to give him more money than he had.