Boston Marathon bombing survivors: 1 year later
April 15 marks the one-year anniversary of one of the most heartbreaking terrorist attacks on American soil, but the Boston Marathon bombing survivors have spent the year recovering and trying to move on. So where are they now?
Known in Boston as the "comforter-in-chief," Carlos Arredondo, the famous man in the cowboy hat who rushed into action after the bomb went off, has been all over since that tragic day.
And the The New York Times notes by his side every step of the way has been the man he helped during that tragic day, Jeff Bauman.
In the aftermath of the bombings, NBC reports Bauman had both of his legs amputated. But since the attack, he has gained national recognition and become a symbol of strength for the city.
Bauman and Arredondo threw out the first pitch at baseball's most iconic plate in Fenway Park. Bauman has also written a book, "Stronger" which recounts the day of the bombings and his long, arduous recovery.
As for Arredondo, he told WLBZ despite the events of that day, he will be in the exact same place this year during the marathon - cheering at the finish line.
Next are Rebekah and Pete DiMartino, whose love story culminated with a beautiful, free wedding. Both Rebekah and Pete were severely injured during the attacks, but they told Boston Magazine the struggle brought them closer together: "We have a new appreciation for each other and every day."
And Pete showed that appreciation by proposing.
The newly engaged couple entered a contest on wedding website The Knot and on April 4, 2014, were married with all expenses paid.
"I now pronounce you husband and wife."
Dear World reports the 118th annual Boston Marathon is supposed to bring in an estimated 36,000 runners, which is 9,000 more than last year. There is also expected to be a whopping 1 million spectators for the event, twice the usual crowd.
The 2014 Boston Marathon is set for April 21